This. It loses huge amounts of money on virtually every line. Scrap it, and reduce ticket prices by the amount saved. Advertise this and people will buy into the "bring your own" mentality.
Great. Knock a penny off the fare and then make sure everyone realises they need to get to their station a bit earlier to buy some food/snacks and drink.
And if you have a really early train journey, and the shops aren't open yet, best remember to buy the night before.
I don't see a need for trolley service on many trains, especially peak time commuter services, but there has to be a market (as proven with examples here) on many leisure services and early/late services, especially long distance ones where you might want a coffee and the one you bought four hours ago has gone somewhat cold...
I do think one solution that has been used elsewhere in the world is vending machines. Yes, the choice might be more limited but you can then provide some snacks and drinks without any staff at all. You just need to maintain them. By all means make them card only for security, as I'm sure very few people wouldn't have a card (here's an additional idea; a TOC could sell prepaid cards for use on their machines, as well as anywhere else, if they wanted to earn a little commission).
For the record, I rarely travel on long distance services so usually am one of those who grabs a coffee before boarding, but on trips from St Albans to Brighton, or London to York, I'd be far more likely to get something. And even if I choose to stock up in advance, not everyone does - or should have to.
Last edited: