I've been thinking about this a lot since Chiltern have removed catering from all of their services. Chiltern's argument was that on board catering on their services was no longer viable due to passengers buying food and drink before they board the train.
At the other end of the spectrum, Arriva Trains Wales provides catering on their Heart Of Wales Line services, some of which are formed of 1 x 153. I will admit, the first time I used the line last year I initially thought it was madness, but as the journey went on, it seemed that 75% of the carriage (and it was well loaded) bought something from the trolley at least once. It was particularly popular when a large group (10+) boarded at Llandovery and each of them bought a can of alcohol and snacks.
It appears that in this day and age, on board catering will be most popular if, 1: There is little competition at stations or nearby. 2: The average passenger journey time on the train is around (or exceeds) an hour. 3: There is a decent passenger flow.
Which services (where it is not provided) do you think catering would be popular? And which services (where it is provided) would you remove it from (if any)?
At the other end of the spectrum, Arriva Trains Wales provides catering on their Heart Of Wales Line services, some of which are formed of 1 x 153. I will admit, the first time I used the line last year I initially thought it was madness, but as the journey went on, it seemed that 75% of the carriage (and it was well loaded) bought something from the trolley at least once. It was particularly popular when a large group (10+) boarded at Llandovery and each of them bought a can of alcohol and snacks.
It appears that in this day and age, on board catering will be most popular if, 1: There is little competition at stations or nearby. 2: The average passenger journey time on the train is around (or exceeds) an hour. 3: There is a decent passenger flow.
Which services (where it is not provided) do you think catering would be popular? And which services (where it is provided) would you remove it from (if any)?
) I doubt it'd work quite as profitably for them.