• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Swindon MSWJR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarltonA

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2012
Messages
878
Location
Thames Valley
Staying in Swindon recently I found the Old Swindon station site and a bridge near Piper's Corner which are remainders of the old line. Wiki tells me that the line closed to passengers in 1961 and the goods yards in 1964. It also states that private sidings continued for some time afterwards in the area. I have looked on Sabre maps from the late 1940s which show various sidings. So my questions are: Which company's sidings were there and when did they close? Did a stub of the line remain for some time?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/historic_swindon_photos_gallery2.shtml?22
See photo 22 on the above link, I think it shows the area in question.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
I don't know whether you have already come across this but the "Swindon's Other Railway" website may serve as an introduction to this route, it includes a photograph, at the remaining platform of Swindon Town Station, of a DMU on a special in 1972.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top