• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old railway maps of Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Having travelled most of the lines north of the capital, I was wondering what else there was before the axe fell over our beautiful railways. Does anyone have links to some online maps of the railways of Scotland? I have seen so many disused stations and lines and it would be great to fit them together. likewise old photos of lines including West Highland, Highland Mainline, Kyle and Far North, as well as Inverness would be great.

CSK
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
Having travelled most of the lines north of the capital, I was wondering what else there was before the axe fell over our beautiful railways. Does anyone have links to some online maps of the railways of Scotland? I have seen so many disused stations and lines and it would be great to fit them together. likewise old photos of lines including West Highland, Highland Mainline, Kyle and Far North, as well as Inverness would be great.

CSK



On my phone so i cannot provide a link, but Railscot should suffice fot what you are looking for.
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
On my phone so i cannot provide a link, but Railscot should suffice fot what you are looking for.

Ah, that's the one I couldn't remember, I need to spend a while looking through that site. Any more out there? Its really sad when you look at what lines there used to be, I would give my right arm to go back in time just to see some of what used to be!
 

kentuckytony

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2010
Messages
283
Location
Edgewood KY USA
The Railscot interactive map that CarterUSM mentioned is located at http://www.railbrit.co.uk/_maps/index.htm.

Also great maps are in the book The Railways of Great Britain - A Historical Atlas - 2nd Edition by Colonel M. H. Cobb. However this 2 volume set is expensive, but you can probably find a copy at a good library. Volume 2 has Scotland. The maps are 1" to 1 mile superimposed over old ordnance survey maps for ease of reference to how the roads used to be also.

The book is very complete and well researched. (IMHO)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top