• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Railway Bridge between Balham and Streatham Hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB25

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
355
Just goes to show you don't always take in all of your surroundings, I have signed this route for ages, but the other day going along from Streatham Hill to Balham I noticed over to my right what looks like part of an old railway bridge with gaps where tracks would have gone. Does anyone know what this is, where it went and why it is no longer there? ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Just goes to show you don't always take in all of your surroundings, I have signed this route for ages, but the other day going along from Streatham Hill to Balham I noticed over to my right what looks like part of an old railway bridge with gaps where tracks would have gone. Does anyone know what this is, where it went and why it is no longer there? ;)

I have noticed seen this before and it appears that considerable work was undertaken to quadruple the line between Balham and Streatham Hill but it was never completed. I have never seen any reference to this in history books.
 

markwo15

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2012
Messages
15
I have often wondered about this, would be very interested to know if this was an abandoned proposal and what the original intention was.
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
I believe this was part of the never-built quadruple track section to Streatham Hill. Also of interest very nearby is the huge block of concrete which was built to protect the Brighton main line from any over-runs from the siding shunting neck. It was well considered, too, as it was duly hit in the 1950s (by a 2BIL unit, I think) and pushed over to its current position. As it didn't foul any lines, it was left as it rested.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
I note two underbridges on Google Earth. The one next to the concrete block seems to have tracks still on it. It crosses a footpath to the playing field. I would have thought the block would make it more likely a over-running shunt would divert the vehicle onto the running line.
 

JB25

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
355
I believe this was part of the never-built quadruple track section to Streatham Hill. Also of interest very nearby is the huge block of concrete which was built to protect the Brighton main line from any over-runs from the siding shunting neck. It was well considered, too, as it was duly hit in the 1950s (by a 2BIL unit, I think) and pushed over to its current position. As it didn't foul any lines, it was left as it rested.

I was told when learning Streatham Hill Depot that the block was the original buffer stops for the depot. A train did indeed hit it and almost smashed it into the path of an on coming train, but luckily it stopped short enough not to obstruct any lines.

There is now a tredle in front of the concrete block that if a driver goes too close to the block for whatever reason will put EVERY signal around the Balham junction area back to danger as a precaution should someone hit it again. :shock:
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
I note two underbridges on Google Earth. The one next to the concrete block seems to have tracks still on it. It crosses a footpath to the playing field. I would have thought the block would make it more likely a over-running shunt would divert the vehicle onto the running line.

Indeed so, with modern stock, but if I recall, the 2BILs just 'concertinaed' in more or less a straight line. In any case, with running lines on both sides, there is probably no way to prevent an encroachment of some sort, albeit with the risk of an overrun almost eliminated by modern signalling.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I've noticed these bridges in the past and whilst they seem vaguely intact, they do still look very decrepit and it's certainly surprising to think of more capacity on this stretch of line, which today operates with reasonable success!

Nowadays there is a track circuit which is activated by any overrunning shunts and blocks the mainline (as above, although I was told it was a TC, but would not be surprised if it was a treadle instead). If the sidings continued further on the North side of the line, where the bridges are, I expect a similar system would have been implemented by now. As an aside, I'm sure I posted this somewhere on another thread recently.

The depot and sidings currently take up a lot of the space that the Down Streatham Hill Relief (or whatever it was going to be called) line would have, and of course there is a third platform at Streatham Hill which is strictly for empty stock and emergency use on the other side, as well as various pointwork and the arrival/departure routes. All in all, I can't see there being any need for running lines over those bridges in this day and age.
 
Last edited:

JB25

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
355
I've noticed these bridges in the past and whilst they seem vaguely intact, they do still look very decrepit and it's certainly surprising to think of more capacity on this stretch of line, which today operates with reasonable success!

Nowadays there is a track circuit which is activated by any overrunning shunts and blocks the mainline (as above, although I was told it was a TC, but would not be surprised if it was a treadle instead). If the sidings continued further on the North side of the line, where the bridges are, I expect a similar system would have been implemented by now. As an aside, I'm sure I posted this somewhere on another thread recently.

The depot and sidings currently take up a lot of the space that the Down Streatham Hill Relief (or whatever it was going to be called) line would have, and of course there is a third platform at Streatham Hill which is strictly for empty stock and emergency use on the other side, as well as various pointwork and the arrival/departure routes. All in all, I can't see there being any need for running lines over those bridges in this day and age.

The lines do seem to line up with where the Depot down sidings are. Not sure if it is relevant or just coincidence mind you.
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,293
I've noticed these bridges in the past and whilst they seem vaguely intact, they do still look very decrepit and it's certainly surprising to think of more capacity on this stretch of line, which today operates with reasonable success!

The depot and sidings currently take up a lot of the space that the Down Streatham Hill Relief (or whatever it was going to be called) line would have, and of course there is a third platform at Streatham Hill which is strictly for empty stock and emergency use on the other side, as well as various pointwork and the arrival/departure routes. All in all, I can't see there being any need for running lines over those bridges in this day and age.

Both Bridges have another 3 tracks of unused decks on the down side. (So 6/7 track to Streatham Hill!). My suspicion was that it was done to so that the down sidings (originally coal sidings) were accessible from the Balham end and that there was much greater siding length available (when converted to passenger use?). If so this might align with the pre WW1 vintage works that included rebuilding Clapham Junction to give the current Southern setup. This might be where the works stopped due to WW1?

There also used to be 4 platforms at Streatham Hill. The short lived 4th platform was a bay on the down side. The track to this platform apparently aligned with the current sandpit beyond the trap points at the entry/exit to the down sidings.

Also worth noting the remains of the OHLE masts beside the down line. (LBSCR AC electrified 12th May 1911 to 1929? on this route).


1913 (survey date) OS http://maps.nls.uk/view/103313420
Western Bridge 3 track (1 up siding, 2 running lines)
Eastern Bridge 4 track (2 up siding, 2 running lines)

No sign of extra bridge decks or retaining wall


1949 OS http://maps.nls.uk/view/103029897
Western Bridge Potential 6 track (1 Up sidings, 2 running lines, 3 unused decks on down side)
Eastern Bridge Potential 7 track (2 Up sidings, 2 running lines, 3 unused decks on down side)

Effectively as at present
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Addendum:
LBSCR decided in 1920 to electrify all the way to the Coast but this was cancelled on grouping in 1922 so maybe the plan was to have a large set of EMU sidings at Streatham Hill?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top