Jago's video about Highbury & Islington contains a modern picture of a preserved London tram just after 8 minutes in. It has what looks like a pig's tail on the front just below the upper floor windows.
Is it an original feature, or some weird artefact of the preservation? What does it do? I haven't seen anything like it on the numerous other pictures of old London trams that I have looked at.
Is it an original feature, or some weird artefact of the preservation? What does it do? I haven't seen anything like it on the numerous other pictures of old London trams that I have looked at.
) the trolley pole for the overhead wire was sprung upwards, and had a long rope attached by which it could be pulled down from the ground - good muscles required by the conductor. Different somewhat amateurish methods of securing the rope were used, which otherwise might swing around, snag on a passing vehicle, and pull the trolley off, or worse. Some trams had two trolley poles, one at each end, to be used depending on direction; others had to be pulled down and walked right around at the terminus. Some systems just took the trailing rope in the rear driver's window and wound it round one of the handles there, there were various other ways to secure it, as here.