• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old GWR sign-any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathasatail

New Member
Joined
4 Jul 2014
Messages
3
Hi,
Just joined the forums so good morning to you all!

Right, my grandfather gave me a an old GWR sign when I was young and I have never really endeavoured to find out what exactly it is. I can get the gist of it from the actual wording but could anyone tell me any specifics?

The lettering is as follows:

G.W.R
No.211
Refreshment Dept.
Bristol (TM)

I cannot provide you with an image at the moment as my camera is charging but the sign is made of a thin metal around 2 mm in thickness with the dimensions of 150mm by 70mm. There is a layer of something resembling a white enamel (probably is) with black lettering.

Thanks,
Sam
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cathasatail

New Member
Joined
4 Jul 2014
Messages
3
Possibly off a station refreshment trolley?

Unlikely in my opinion, it is a solid bit of metal with holes for screws/nails on each corner, i am not an expert but i have doubts about it complementing a refreshment trolley :)

Sam
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Unlikely in my opinion, it is a solid bit of metal with holes for screws/nails on each corner, i am not an expert but i have doubts about it complementing a refreshment trolley :)

Sam

It may well be. As in its the metal label that wouldve been applied so that if it should get lost somewhere or end up at the wrong depot due to being switched innocently then you could tell where it needed to go back too so that it was accounted for.


I do believe modern modules and trolleys still have these in some form.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Possibly from a hot water boiler in the refreshment room.
 

cathasatail

New Member
Joined
4 Jul 2014
Messages
3
Thanks all!
Thanks for the information and suggestions, I am starting to reverse my previous statement and I believe it might be part of a refreshments trolley, I found a similar image of such an item on the internet linking it to a refreshment trolley.

Thanks again!

Sam
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top