Before the days of PSBs and displays showing a four character headcode were trains timetabled with a headcode we would recognise today? e.g 1P63.
I understand that classes were displayed to signalmen via headlamp codes but what about destinations. I notice in an old 1949 Western Region working timetable, Exeter Division, there are no headcodes. All trains are referred to by time, origin and occasionally destination (seemingly if not in the division to which the WTT refers or not a major regional station), e.g 8.15pm Cardiff Parcels, shown as final destination Plymouth.
Were signallers supposed to know from the WTT exactly which train to expect next based on the class they were rung from the previous box? What if two trains of the same class followed each other, how would they know they were in the right order?
I understand that classes were displayed to signalmen via headlamp codes but what about destinations. I notice in an old 1949 Western Region working timetable, Exeter Division, there are no headcodes. All trains are referred to by time, origin and occasionally destination (seemingly if not in the division to which the WTT refers or not a major regional station), e.g 8.15pm Cardiff Parcels, shown as final destination Plymouth.
Were signallers supposed to know from the WTT exactly which train to expect next based on the class they were rung from the previous box? What if two trains of the same class followed each other, how would they know they were in the right order?