heart-of-wessex
Established Member
Hello all,
So, at the Salisbury event, my mate asked what a Tiger Cub is, he doesn't know much about buses, but knows a lot about planes. I said it's a smaller chassis version of the Tiger I think. So I looked it up online, and a Tiger Cub is a lightweight version, sounds about right, powered by Leyland, but a Leyland Tiger can also have a Gardner or Cummins engine. But the bodywork varies.
So who does what?? It get's very confusing! Do Leyland just make the chassis frame, branded the Tiger, and stick a different engine on it compatible with their frame, then have a body put on it, so a bus combined with three different manufactures? Is the seating layout anything to do with the chassis builder or is it by the body constructor?
I also never knew of a front engine Leyland Titan until one turned up from Plymouth Citybus, only knew of the rear engine double deck, not sure who the bodywork is by on those though, MCW?
It seems a bit different nowadays, Vovlo B7 Eclipse for example I assume is not just the engine but also the chassis with an Eclipse body?
When I see something Leyland it just seems more complicated!
Talking of Volvo's, what is the letters of the engine types about, there's Volvo B7L, Vovlo B7TL, Volvo B7R, Volvo B7BLE, is that just different versions of the B7, meaning that they are slightly different in power rating or configuration or something?
Any help appreciated
James.
So, at the Salisbury event, my mate asked what a Tiger Cub is, he doesn't know much about buses, but knows a lot about planes. I said it's a smaller chassis version of the Tiger I think. So I looked it up online, and a Tiger Cub is a lightweight version, sounds about right, powered by Leyland, but a Leyland Tiger can also have a Gardner or Cummins engine. But the bodywork varies.
So who does what?? It get's very confusing! Do Leyland just make the chassis frame, branded the Tiger, and stick a different engine on it compatible with their frame, then have a body put on it, so a bus combined with three different manufactures? Is the seating layout anything to do with the chassis builder or is it by the body constructor?
I also never knew of a front engine Leyland Titan until one turned up from Plymouth Citybus, only knew of the rear engine double deck, not sure who the bodywork is by on those though, MCW?
It seems a bit different nowadays, Vovlo B7 Eclipse for example I assume is not just the engine but also the chassis with an Eclipse body?
When I see something Leyland it just seems more complicated!
Talking of Volvo's, what is the letters of the engine types about, there's Volvo B7L, Vovlo B7TL, Volvo B7R, Volvo B7BLE, is that just different versions of the B7, meaning that they are slightly different in power rating or configuration or something?
Any help appreciated

James.