Hi,
I'm trying to work out a couple of things.
Up to say around 1951, how common was it to transport oil / petrol across the country by rail. I'm asking this as I'm looking a railway station yard (Great Harwood, Lancs), out of the yard there was a set of rails entering the gas works on the opposite side of the road.
Coke was indeed needed by the gas works, but also oil or petrol as this was mixed with the town gas to make it burn better.
In 1947, I know over the winter months, the gas works took delivery of around 180,000 gallons of oil / petrol.
So my questions are:
1. How common was it to transport oil / petrol across the country by rail?
2. How much (in gallons) could a single tank wagon hold e.g 2,000 or 3,000 around 1947 - 1951?
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Andy.
I'm trying to work out a couple of things.
Up to say around 1951, how common was it to transport oil / petrol across the country by rail. I'm asking this as I'm looking a railway station yard (Great Harwood, Lancs), out of the yard there was a set of rails entering the gas works on the opposite side of the road.
Coke was indeed needed by the gas works, but also oil or petrol as this was mixed with the town gas to make it burn better.
In 1947, I know over the winter months, the gas works took delivery of around 180,000 gallons of oil / petrol.
So my questions are:
1. How common was it to transport oil / petrol across the country by rail?
2. How much (in gallons) could a single tank wagon hold e.g 2,000 or 3,000 around 1947 - 1951?
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Andy.