Royston Vasey
Established Member
Hi All, wondering what the Forum's view is here.
I am planning a one way journey from Foxton to Heathrow Terminal 5 via Thameslink and Elizabeth Line on a Wednesday afternoon in November, using a Network Railcard.
All the conventional retailers will sell me an Anytime Day Single with NSE discount at £32.85, including Raileasy and Thameslink.
Only Trainsplit is offering a Foxton to London Zones 1-6 Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard with restriction TN, for £22.55, which for the record is not a split and is valid at London Terminals any time from 10:55. Since off peak travelcards are valid any time after 09.30, this is clearly a valid and much better value ticket than the Anytime Single (there is no Super Off Peak Single for this journey). Am I missing something? Is the Anytime also valid on HEX? I feel sure it is not.
I had selected Heathrow Terminal 5 (HWV) as destination, not London Travelcard Z1-6. If I select London Travelcard Z1-6 as the destination (on sites where this is possible) I can buy the £22.55 ticket. I can do this from Thameslink, Raileasy does not offer London Travelcard Zone X as a destination and amusingly, though I can specify the London Travelcard Zone 6 on Trainsplit, it cannot sell the ticket with this search term as it needs a destination to produce an itinerary!
My question is whether not offering the cheaper and entirely valid Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard, also conferring even further validity within the zones, is a violation of the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement?
The outcome of this old thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/legislation-on-requirement-to-sell-cheapest-fares.116319/ seemed to be that the Impartiality Obligation of the TSA kind-of covers this. "Suitable" must surely imply lowest price among other things?
Is the obligation then, in simple terms, only to sell the appropriately timed (Peak/Off Peak/Super Off Peak) ticket for the origin, route and destination the customer has specifically requested, and only Trainsplit has gone above-and-beyond and been a little more clever for me? The words "cheapest" and "lowest" do not actually appear in the TSA document. Is lowest price an obligation at all?
I realise that to sell the absolute cheapest ticket that confers validity for any specific journey is very complex, but surely when a destination is in the Travelcard or another zonal area, it should be a reasonable part of the background code to also check tickets with a Travelcard?
Or is it perfectly ok and just one more reason to use Trainsplit?
I am planning a one way journey from Foxton to Heathrow Terminal 5 via Thameslink and Elizabeth Line on a Wednesday afternoon in November, using a Network Railcard.
All the conventional retailers will sell me an Anytime Day Single with NSE discount at £32.85, including Raileasy and Thameslink.
Only Trainsplit is offering a Foxton to London Zones 1-6 Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard with restriction TN, for £22.55, which for the record is not a split and is valid at London Terminals any time from 10:55. Since off peak travelcards are valid any time after 09.30, this is clearly a valid and much better value ticket than the Anytime Single (there is no Super Off Peak Single for this journey). Am I missing something? Is the Anytime also valid on HEX? I feel sure it is not.
I had selected Heathrow Terminal 5 (HWV) as destination, not London Travelcard Z1-6. If I select London Travelcard Z1-6 as the destination (on sites where this is possible) I can buy the £22.55 ticket. I can do this from Thameslink, Raileasy does not offer London Travelcard Zone X as a destination and amusingly, though I can specify the London Travelcard Zone 6 on Trainsplit, it cannot sell the ticket with this search term as it needs a destination to produce an itinerary!
My question is whether not offering the cheaper and entirely valid Super Off-Peak Day Travelcard, also conferring even further validity within the zones, is a violation of the Ticketing & Settlement Agreement?
The outcome of this old thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/legislation-on-requirement-to-sell-cheapest-fares.116319/ seemed to be that the Impartiality Obligation of the TSA kind-of covers this. "Suitable" must surely imply lowest price among other things?
(a) If more than one Fare is available that meets the requirements specified by a potential Purchaser and he does not specify which of the Fares he requires, the Operator must seek any additional information from him that is necessary to enable it to recommend (in an impartial manner) which of them is suitable for him.
(b) Where an Operator is asked to recommend a suitable Fare or paragraph (a) above applies, it must request sufficient additional information to enable it to make the recommendation. This may (for example) include any of the following:-
(i) the departure and/or arrival time required; (ii) how important it is to the person requesting the Fare to minimise the journey time involved; (iii) the importance to him of the price of the Fare; (iv) whether he minds changing trains; (v) (if a return journey is to be made) the extent to which he needs flexibility in his choice of trains for that journey; (vi) whether he wants the flexibility of an Inter-available Fare; and (vii) any special requirements that he has.
(c) If more than one Fare is suitable, the Operator must explain the main features of the alternatives in an impartial manner.
Is the obligation then, in simple terms, only to sell the appropriately timed (Peak/Off Peak/Super Off Peak) ticket for the origin, route and destination the customer has specifically requested, and only Trainsplit has gone above-and-beyond and been a little more clever for me? The words "cheapest" and "lowest" do not actually appear in the TSA document. Is lowest price an obligation at all?
I realise that to sell the absolute cheapest ticket that confers validity for any specific journey is very complex, but surely when a destination is in the Travelcard or another zonal area, it should be a reasonable part of the background code to also check tickets with a Travelcard?
Or is it perfectly ok and just one more reason to use Trainsplit?
Last edited:
