• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off peak Vs Anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
What happens if I buy a return from A to B at, say 10:00 in the morning, coming back about 19:00? If I turned up at A at this time and asked for 'a return to B' I would presumably be sold an off-peak return. However, if I was to break my journey on the outward leg at C would I be restricted in which trains I could use later from C to B if I were to do this during the peak?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,554
Location
Yorkshire
No way at all to answer that without knowing the stations.

You have to read the restriction code.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
OK. Edinburgh > Rosyth. Want to take 10:38 off Edinburgh and break at South Gyle, picking up the 67 at 17:18.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,554
Location
Yorkshire
Here is the ridiculously long restriction:
(I have removed some parts that are not relevant)
Restriction : H7
OUTWARD TRAVEL / RETURN TRAVEL

By any train except those
timed to depart Mondays to
Fridays before 0915.
Passengers MAY NOT JOIN at
Edinburgh or Haymarket Mondays
to Fridays any service
departing between 1645 and
1807 nor the 1830 (NXEC)
service from Edinburgh to
Aberdeen.


The above restrictions are
lifted from 25th - 28th
December 2010 and from 1st -
4th January 2011.
CDS/CDR/FCR/GE1/SVH/1DR/1DT/
FCD OFF-PEAK DAY

Ticket Name: Off-Peak Day
Code - CDR/1DR/1DT
Class - STANDARD
Single/Return - RETURN
Outward Validity:
Day - DATE ON TICKET
(SEE NOTE 1)
Time - SEE BELOW
Return Validity:
Day - DATE ON TICKET
Time - SEE BELOW
Break of Journey:
Out/Rtn - YES
Pre-Booking Req: NONE
Reservations Compulsory: NO
Discounts:
Child - YES
Railcard - YES
Group - YES
Refunds: See 'Refunds' section


NOTES:
Off-Peak Day Singles and
Returns, GroupSave Day
Returns: Valid for travel on
the date shown on the ticket
and until 0230 the following
day. If it is not possible to
complete the journey before
this time, travel is allowed
until 1200 the day after
travel - but no further break
of journey is allowed.

1. See also 'London' section
'Easements' section and
relevant customer information
leaflets for further details.
Travel restrictions do not
apply on Public Holidays.

2. Time restrictions are
indicated by a restriction
shown against the ticket's
validity code.

5. Break of journey is
permitted on both outward and
return portions of Off-Peak
Day and GroupSave Day tickets
unless otherwise indicated by
a restriction shown against
the ticket's_validity code.
You "may not join" at Edinburgh Waverley/Haymarket so you are OK to join at South Gyle.

On another ticket, it may be worded differently, like "Not valid between 1530 and 1815" (or similar) and that would scupper your plans.

But the wording of this one seems to be OK for what you want to do.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Good lord! Thanks for that. I was rather hoping there'd be some sort of generic rule about this sort of thing, which is why I worded the OP with A, B and C. It's no wonder normals get caught out by rail fares. And no wonder they sometimes get angry when they do!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,554
Location
Yorkshire
I was rather hoping there'd be some sort of generic rule about this sort of thing,
There is; look up the restriction code ;):lol:

Joking aside, ATOC don't do things that are generic or simple. Well, not what a sane person would consider simple....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top