• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Return v Anytime Day Return v Semi Flex Return v Advance Singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToad

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2024
Messages
52
Location
Hampshire
Hi all,

Been looking at the various options for Farnborough Main to either Fratton or Portsmouth/Southsea later in the month for the football (Saturday 29th March). Two adults, Two Together Railcard, coming back on the same day and (preferably) travelling direct via Basingstoke/Eastleigh and not going the other way where I change at Woking. Looking at getting the 1144 there and return some time after 1700.

According to the SWR website my options are:
Option 1: Off-Peak Return - £56.60.
Option 2: Anytime Day Return - £42.00
Option 3: Advance singles £14.30 out and 11.50 return - £25.80.
Option 4: Semi Flex Return £38.60

Option 3 obviously makes sense financially but I fully understand the restrictions about having to travel on specific trains and break of journey. I may want to get a later train back and/or stop off in Winchester for drinks with some friends on the way back.

So my questions are:

1. How come an off-peak return (Option 1) is so more expensive than an Anytime Day Return (Option 2) - I thought an Anytime Day Return allowed me to travel on any train on any reasonable route and at "anytime" during the day. What is the difference between these two ticket types on a Saturday? For example, must I travel via Basingstoke and not via Woking, or am I misunderstanding something more fundamental here?

2. A Semi-Flex Return (Option 4) is new to me - my understanding is I must go out on a specific train, but can return on any SWR train on any reasonable route that gets into Waterloo after 2pm. So this ticket would work if I wanted to get the 11:44, and then get any train back after the match, including those via Basingstoke or changing at Woking? Also would I be able to get off early at Fratton on this ticket it it was for Portsmouth/Southsea?

3. Concerning the Advance Single, supposing I have an Anytime Single from Fratton to Farnborough via Woking, for the 1724 and find myself in the queue outside Fratton station because the platform is full and therefore unable to gain access to the station to catch the specific train, will I be permitted to travel on a later train? In the past, I have purchased tickets to Portsmouth/Southsea and have the longer walk but know I will not be stood outside the station for this very reason. The closure of the footbridge at Fratton makes the post-match queues worse than usual.

Many thanks. I love the depth of knowledge on this forum!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,563
Location
LBK
Hi all,

Been looking at the various options for Farnborough Main to either Fratton or Portsmouth/Southsea later in the month for the football (Saturday 29th March). Two adults, Two Together Railcard, coming back on the same day and (preferably) travelling direct via Basingstoke/Eastleigh and not going the other way where I change at Woking. Looking at getting the 1144 there and return some time after 1700.

According to the SWR website my options are:
Option 1: Off-Peak Return - £56.60.
Option 2: Anytime Day Return - £42.00
Option 3: Advance singles £14.30 out and 11.50 return - £25.80.
Option 4: Semi Flex Return £38.60

Option 3 obviously makes sense financially but I fully understand the restrictions about having to travel on specific trains and break of journey. I may want to get a later train back and/or stop off in Winchester for drinks with some friends on the way back.

So my questions are:

1. How come an off-peak return (Option 1) is so more expensive than an Anytime Day Return (Option 2) - I thought an Anytime Day Return allowed me to travel on any train on any reasonable route and at "anytime" during the day. What is the difference between these two ticket types on a Saturday? For example, must I travel via Basingstoke and not via Woking, or am I misunderstanding something more fundamental here?
An Off Peak return has validity for a whole month unlike the Anytime Day Return.

2. A Semi-Flex Return (Option 4) is new to me - my understanding is I must go out on a specific train, but can return on any SWR train on any reasonable route that gets into Waterloo after 2pm. So this ticket would work if I wanted to get the 11:44, and then get any train back after the match, including those via Basingstoke or changing at Woking?
Correct.
Also would I be able to get off early at Fratton on this ticket it it was for Portsmouth/Southsea?
Yes.
3. Concerning the Advance Single, supposing I have an Anytime Single from Fratton to Farnborough via Woking, for the 1724 and find myself in the queue outside Fratton station because the platform is full and therefore unable to gain access to the station to catch the specific train, will I be permitted to travel on a later train? In the past, I have purchased tickets to Portsmouth/Southsea and have the longer walk but know I will not be stood outside the station for this very reason. The closure of the footbridge at Fratton makes the post-match queues worse than usual.
That would depend on local instructions and whether they will waive ticket restrictions owing to the football crowd. Can’t tell you that for sure.
 

MrToad

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2024
Messages
52
Location
Hampshire
An Off Peak return has validity for a whole month unlike the Anytime Day Return.


Correct.

Yes.

That would depend on local instructions and whether they will waive ticket restrictions owing to the football crowd. Can’t tell you that for sure.
Thank you so much AlterEgo. That clarifies things nicely for me.

I will get Advance singles - cannot argue with that price - and get off/on at Portsmouth/Southsea and the extra 15 minute walk will do me good. I will ask the staff at Fratton when I next use that station regarding waiving ticket restrictions for future reference and post in case anyone else has this concern.

Slightly separate issue - I know some people say I will be OK getting off a stop early at Fratton on matchdays if I have an advance ticket to Portsmouth/Southsea as they open the barriers to clear the crowds off the platforms. A couple of Sundays ago for the Leeds match, they were doing 100% ticket inspections at Fratton so if I was hoping to get off there with an advance to Portsmouth/Southsea (I had an off-peak return from Havant so was OK) I could have been in trouble. It was fairly chaotic on the platform.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top