• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Avanti with connections - how early can you be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrish2

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
33
When I buy an off-peak return ticket as either Atherton or Walkden to London Euston it is always the same price as Manchester (or Wigan) to London Euston. It has the extra perk of been able to route via either Manchester or Wigan (which I often take advantage of).

What I don't fully understand is how early can I get the local connection on the outbound leg. I ask as the journey planner only leaves 10 mins at Manchester but that is not much when you have two Northern trains to catch (they have been more reliable recently) and/or there can be a gap of an hour.

Is there any restrictions on how early the connection can be?
i.e. can I leave Atherton at 08:08 (arr Manchester @ 08:45), break my journey in Manchester (have some errands) and then get the 10:55?
Where can I fined the rules re using the outbound local service on this ticket?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,793
Location
UK
When I buy an off-peak return ticket as either Atherton or Walkden to London Euston it is always the same price as Manchester (or Wigan) to London Euston. It has the extra perk of been able to route via either Manchester or Wigan (which I often take advantage of).

What I don't fully understand is how early can I get the local connection on the outbound leg. I ask as the journey planner only leaves 10 mins at Manchester but that is not much when you have two Northern trains to catch (they have been more reliable recently) and/or there can be a gap of an hour.

Is there any restrictions on how early the connection can be?
i.e. can I leave Atherton at 08:08 (arr Manchester @ 08:45), break my journey in Manchester (have some errands) and then get the 10:55?
Where can I fined the rules re using the outbound local service on this ticket?
An Off-Peak Return from Walkden to Euston has restriction code 2C (this can be viewed at nre.co.uk/2C). This means there is no restriction on your journey into Manchester (or Wigan, if you go to London that way).

This ticket is valid for break of journey as with most Off-Peak tickets, so you could quite validly take the 08:08 service, or even earlier if you liked, break your journey in Manchester, and then recommence later in the day.

The Advanced options on Trainsplit can be very useful to get an itinerary with a longer-than-necessary change time. Trainsplit would also sell you a cheaper combination of tickets, if available.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top