I and two other guys had an unusual experience today while photographing the Devon General Running Day at Newton Abbot. The first bus to pass our vantage point was a Stagecoach bus on service which the two others photographed, at which point a woman pedestrian crossed the road and said to us “if any of you has included me in your photograph I want you to delete it”.
We were all bit taken aback and said more or less the same thing, that there is no law prohibiting photography on the public highway and a street scene generally includes people. Her reply was “but I want you to respect my privacy” or similar words. The others checked their photographs and she wasn’t in either of them. We had a couple more exchanges but she wasn’t going to change her stance and walked away.
We could have mentioned all the CCTV cameras in the street or asked why she was walking in an area with lots of photographers, but there didn’t seem any point. One of the guys then said there was a woman bus driver in Plymouth who objected to her bus being photographed and had been known to get out of her cab to argue. Takes all sorts, I suppose.
I also heard that privacy laws in Germany now state that the faces of people who appear in published photographs have to be blanked out. Can anyone confirm that? The law will vary from one country to another but this was the first time I'd had such an encounter.
We were all bit taken aback and said more or less the same thing, that there is no law prohibiting photography on the public highway and a street scene generally includes people. Her reply was “but I want you to respect my privacy” or similar words. The others checked their photographs and she wasn’t in either of them. We had a couple more exchanges but she wasn’t going to change her stance and walked away.
We could have mentioned all the CCTV cameras in the street or asked why she was walking in an area with lots of photographers, but there didn’t seem any point. One of the guys then said there was a woman bus driver in Plymouth who objected to her bus being photographed and had been known to get out of her cab to argue. Takes all sorts, I suppose.
I also heard that privacy laws in Germany now state that the faces of people who appear in published photographs have to be blanked out. Can anyone confirm that? The law will vary from one country to another but this was the first time I'd had such an encounter.
