• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nutrition Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I am looking for some sort of supplementary nutrition drink (preferrably in powder form) for an elderly relative in her 80s who is having difficulty eating solid food.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any help would be appreciated as the myriad of products on offer is giving me a headache just looking at them.

Ta.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2011
Messages
1,545
The first step is probably to narrow down (with her doctor or occupational therapist) what nutritional needs she has. Part of the reason for there being so much variety is that they aren't just different brands providing the same needs, and this is something you want to get right. Once you've got that advice, you'll have a better idea of which products to eliminate from consideration.

That's where my usefulness runs out - the brands on offer in Britain will inevitably be different to the brands on offer in Australia, and some brand names may even be licensed for use on products which may not be the same.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Speak with her GP or dietician. You may be able to get nutritional drinks like Fortisip (a very good nutritional drink - can be used as the sole source of nutrition) prescribed.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
As has been said you should speak with the medics first. We had a similar situation with an elderly relative and basically in trying to help made things worse by getting the wrong stuff. They had some stuff prescribed eventually which really helped them
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
I'd suggest going to the GP also.

If you're able to get medical advice AND supplements for free that are tailored to an individual need, I'd be going with that.

Fortijuice and Fortisip are both very good - I was on them when I was younger and quite recently. Each makes you feel like you've had a medium sized meal so it even helps with the worry of 'not feeling full' afterwards.

Maybe speak to a chemist beforehand and see if you're able to get them over the counter as something to try whilst waiting to see a GP/dietician?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I will see what additional information I can get out of her.

She doesn't live in this country, and we would rather not trust anything where she lives, as there are too many fakes in the market. She has been recommended something from the US but last time I looked it up on the internet it was quite difficult to get hold of.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,052
Location
Bristol
I used to know someone who got a product called Build Up on prescription.
It's a range of soups and milkshakes.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,297
Location
Leeds
I still think that in that case, if she is able, to get to a physician at some point.

They are more likely to know what is obtainable in that country and offer the best advice and solutions around this.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,059
Location
Reston City Centre
Speak with her GP or dietician. You may be able to get nutritional drinks like Fortisip (a very good nutritional drink - can be used as the sole source of nutrition) prescribed.

I'd suggest going to the GP also.

If you're able to get medical advice AND supplements for free that are tailored to an individual need, I'd be going with that.

Fortijuice and Fortisip are both very good - I was on them when I was younger and quite recently. Each makes you feel like you've had a medium sized meal so it even helps with the worry of 'not feeling full' afterwards.

Maybe speak to a chemist beforehand and see if you're able to get them over the counter as something to try whilst waiting to see a GP/dietician?

+1 for Fortisip - it got me through a month in hospital a few years ago (when I couldn't eat a great deal) - am sure there are international versions, though I've never seen it on sale in Chemists etc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top