Applied for the Trainee Drivers with freight liner in the dartford area
Good luck with your application
Applied for the Trainee Drivers with freight liner in the dartford area
Thanks for your reply.Currently a A&E HCA and working through the recruitment process(attending ?stage 1 In watford week after next). Do voluntary work on a heritage railway and this would be my ideal career. Also glad to see and hear others from the medical profession are also going for these roles and enjoy it. Lets hope I'm successful and you to if you go for it!
Thanks for your reply.
There does seem to be lots more ex-police than ex-NHS people on this forum, but it’s still nice to see you wouldn’t be the only one from your profession. It’s also nice to hear their perspective.
Good luck with your application.
Not necessarily - you will have to apply for leave and there is a maximum number of crew who can be on leave at a depot at any one time. If it's a Saturday in the height of summer, you'll struggle. Part of being a train driver is accepting you will miss out on some social and/or family events. I currently work in Control, going driving next year, and I have been rostered for nights over Christmas two years in a row. My daughter's first two Christmases. Its awful, but it's part and parcel of the job. I know the NHS can be like that too - as can any shift work, but having the days off you want isn't always guaranteed.
Out of interest, which TOC(s) are you thinking of applying to?
There's no out of a hat in the railway. All done in order of application, to the point that people stay up until midnight on the day the leave can be booked and it's oversubscribed by 0001!Thanks for your reply.
We are similar in that you can only have a certain amount of staff off at once, and names get drawn out of a hat for 1st and 2nd choice of a/l at busy times (summer holidays, Xmas).
There's no out of a hat in the railway. All done in order of application, to the point that people stay up until midnight on the day the leave can be booked and it's oversubscribed by 0001!
Other than money, I don't see what you'd get from train driving. You seem worried about the change in shifts to variable ones, and that is something you won't be able to shake. The headline salary isn't achieved instantly, so you'd have to be prepared that you may have to take a 12month or more pay cut. It is not the job to do just for the money.
Wow, getting your leave in must be as stressful as trying to get tickets to your favourite but very popular band, eek!
Yes the unpredictability of the shifts and the perceived isolation / boredom are worries of mine.
One of the reasons I posted on this is to hear other people’s thoughts and perceptions about these concerns because you guys are the experts, you’re working and living this life and you’ll have knowledge of it that I don’t which might help me make a more informed decision.
On a side note, even the training depot driver roles are a pay rise from my current salary! Depot or main line driving could end up being a very large pay rise for me (completely outside anything I could have in the NHS) for giving up potentially not that much more especially as my kids are fast growing less dependent.
Very good point. Money is not the be all and end all. I’ve spent a lot of my career to this point thinking this, maybe more to make myself feel better about my wages, but it’s a very valid point, especially when it’s not just me to consider.If shifts are your worry, you will struggle, whatever the money is. It is hard dragging yourself out of bed at midnight, for a taxi to work to start at 0200 for 12hours (as I have done a couple of times!) and no amount of money can offset that. If you don't want to be starting at 0300 monday, 0630 on tuesday 0415 on wednesday etc, then no payrise will be worth it to you. Then you end up trapped in a job you can't afford to move on from....
I agree with this.Reading through some of the answers here you'd think it was the worst job in the world! Yet it attracts a high turnover of applications. Why?
I'm the same as the OP - though I'm ambulance service looking to leave to join the rail network. I'm now through to the assessment day and I'm nervous but looking forward to it.
So why not change careers to something that looks a good opportunity or forever being stuck doing something you don't want to do any more?
I agree with this.
Best of luck in your assessments.
, thank you.
How do your colleagues manage the boredom out of interest?
Very good point. Money is not the be all and end all. I’ve spent a lot of my career to this point thinking this, maybe more to make myself feel better about my wages, but it’s a very valid point, especially when it’s not just me to consider.
The thought of the actual train driving and learning routes and rules inside and out, back to front and getting good at it really does excite me though.
I also feel if I don’t do it now I’ll regret it, and possibly not be able to do it again- I’m not getting any younger (in terms of passing the tests again or of coping with the physical side of the shifts).
I’m thinking you’ve made your mind up. The excitement won’t last once you’ve learnt your role.
As for some stating some of the posts suggest it’s the worse job in the world I don’t agree.
You are reading people with their perception of working as a driver and have been productive for a while, so a sense of balance has been gained rather than rose tinted.
It’s a good job, as is nursing, as is policing etc, however govt funding etc has put a spanner in the works of those occupations.
No disrespect to those who’ve applied or still at the beginning of training but seriously read what others say.
The shift work can really hurt, it can leave you shattered and unwilling to do any other tasks. You learn this after years of doing it. It’s not structured start and finish times, it’s all over the shop.
Your social life if you have one will be hampered more than you may expect.
Keep you nose clean and you’ll be left alone. Make mistakes and management will be over you like a rash. Problem with driving one mistake and you don’t get another chance to rectify it. And it’s very easy to make a mistake.
There can be a blame culture on the railway, as it’s all about money and who gets the fine. So any issues out there don’t be surprised to be hauled over the coals and blamed and be sat in the mess room for weeks. It’s very demoralising and a confidence killer.
Your 4 day week is just that, however expect to work 6 or 7 on the bounce. And you will very tired even if you think it’s a 9 hour odd shift. Expect some months to work 3 weekends a month (depending on TOC).
You have to like your own company, seriously you do.
Luckily I enjoy this job, but I do see a few who aren’t happy and I’d hate to be in their shoes.
My other half is a nurse, does 12 hour days and nights has loads of time off and on the whole enjoys it, of course it’s changed.
So go for it, but maybe while you’re waiting consider a change in your current career?
Thank you for your very real and considered reply. I appreciate it.I’m thinking you’ve made your mind up. The excitement won’t last once you’ve learnt your role.
As for some stating some of the posts suggest it’s the worse job in the world I don’t agree.
You are reading people with their perception of working as a driver and have been productive for a while, so a sense of balance has been gained rather than rose tinted.
It’s a good job, as is nursing, as is policing etc, however govt funding etc has put a spanner in the works of those occupations.
No disrespect to those who’ve applied or still at the beginning of training but seriously read what others say.
The shift work can really hurt, it can leave you shattered and unwilling to do any other tasks. You learn this after years of doing it. It’s not structured start and finish times, it’s all over the shop.
Your social life if you have one will be hampered more than you may expect.
Keep you nose clean and you’ll be left alone. Make mistakes and management will be over you like a rash. Problem with driving one mistake and you don’t get another chance to rectify it. And it’s very easy to make a mistake.
There can be a blame culture on the railway, as it’s all about money and who gets the fine. So any issues out there don’t be surprised to be hauled over the coals and blamed and be sat in the mess room for weeks. It’s very demoralising and a confidence killer.
Your 4 day week is just that, however expect to work 6 or 7 on the bounce. And you will very tired even if you think it’s a 9 hour odd shift. Expect some months to work 3 weekends a month (depending on TOC).
You have to like your own company, seriously you do.
Luckily I enjoy this job, but I do see a few who aren’t happy and I’d hate to be in their shoes.
My other half is a nurse, does 12 hour days and nights has loads of time off and on the whole enjoys it, of course it’s changed.
So go for it, but maybe while you’re waiting consider a change in your current career?
Thank you, that’s interesting to know that if the 2 staff that left, one has returned. Speaks volumes about the job / railway!I can’t be much specific since I work in another country, but as for boredom and loneliness: I’m personally perfectly ok with working 95% of my time alone, I enjoy it, but I do have more than a few colleagues of the hyper-talkative-endless-need-to-speak type of guy, and I’ve never seen once one of them suffering in this job (at least in passenger trains domain) because of lack of company/conversation/time with others. That must mean something...
As for boredom, in ten years in the railways I found that most of these who are often complaining about being bored aren’t in fact really bored, just maybe tired, but enjoying their role. And the small fraction, who really is bored, ends up just changing their role within the railways or merely keeps driving but for another TOC/FOC. I know only two (2) guys who left a driving role to go back to the “outside world”. One of them just came back with us.![]()