snuk
Member
Hi all,
I just though I would post how I got on yesterday on my first ever visit to London including my first long Pendolino trip and first time on London Underground.
I apologise if my writing isn't the best in places - it's very note-like - please stay with me if you can.
0859 Virgin Pendolino from Nuneaton to London Euston - £35.00 First Advance Single with complimentary breakfast trial.
390-053 "Mission Accomplished" 2-3 minutes late at Nuneaton. Between 30 and 50 people waiting at Nuneaton.
Some of those may have been travelling on complimentary Daily Mirror tickets. Non-stop express to London Euston from Liverpool Lime Street, Runcorn and Stafford.
There was a London Midland leaving about the same time - maybe two or three minutes later - so glad I paid the extra for the Pendolino. I remember hearing a lady saying to her friend something about "we can't go on that one - it's more expensive" and felt a bit sorry for them.
Boarded the right coach but couldn't find my seat. I noticed that there were lots of more preferable seats empty and not reserved so I asked a member of the train crew if it was okay for me to change seats and he said it was fine so I chose one of the 1+1 seats by the windows which I prefer.
There must have been 6 members of crew looking after us and one well spoken mature lady asking carrying out market research by means of a printed questionnaire. Each member of crew appeared to be responsible for different things, like taking orders for breakfast, fruit juice, tea, coffee, and then delivering the breakfasts. The great British breakfast is very nice, but some might say the portions are small - 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, poached egg, and what I think is called a hash brown. Fruit juice and coffee - all of which I really enjoyed apart from not being offered any sugar for the coffee, which I don't really mind to be honest - not a big issue.
I'm enjoying the scenery a little bit whilst trying to eat - I'd already completed the survey by the time breakfast had arrived. I was thinking to myself had we been through Rugby yet - A minute or two later we were going through Milton Keynes or somewhere - the train absolutely flew - I knew he'd be quick, but it was something special.
I loved overtaking the London Midland 350's - two or three of them on their stopping services.
I really noticed the tilting going through North London around Berkhampsted I think whilst I was trying to drink made me feel a bit unwell just for a second. (I know about Berkhampsted - I've seen the Pendos on YouTube - I think that's where the phase "full tilt" comes from).
Arrived pretty much on time at Euston at just after 10am. Left the train onto the concourse still not sure where I was going - just followed the signposts really which is pretty much the same for the rest of the day. Then I remembered that I wanted to see the shops on Oxford Street and that someone advised me buy a Zones 1 and 2 travel card and catch a tube from Euston to Oxford Circus. Went down the escalator to Euston tube station and the must have been 50 or 60 people waiting to for the ticket machines. Thinking fast I went back up the escalator to Euston mainline station and used the Virgin Fast Ticket machine - at first I was refused a Zone 1 off-peak so tried Zone 1 and 2 off-peak which worked for £5.60.
Went back down to Euston tube - figured out the tube maps on the wall pretty much immediately - it's much more simple than I imagined. I just needed to figure out which platform I needed on which line. I knew I needed the Victoria line and once I was on the platform I realised that all tubes that stopped there were going the same direction every two or three minutes. Waited about a minute, hopped on and about 3 minutes later I saw Oxford Circus and left the train. I was quite impressed with the tube trains - I've never been on one before - or maybe once when I was very young and I don't remember - the tube trains seem very fast to be and the acceleration seems quite impressive - even faster than the mighty Pendolinos it seems - not bad for stock that is over 30 years old - about 2 years older than me - I which I was that quick and responsive!!
Left Oxford Circus and stepping out onto a London street, London proper, if you will, for the first time in my life seemed almost quite surreal. The buildings seemed older than I had expected, not like Birmingham which I am quite used to and seems really modern in comparison.
Then I just followed the street names really and the pedestrian sign posts still not really sure where I was headed. Very alert and aware of my surroundings and trying to keep out of peoples way pretty much. Headed down Oxford Street then spotted Regent Street so went down there onto Piccadilly Circus - smaller than I expected. The route is a bit sketchy from here - just looking at Google Maps now trying to retrace my route. The next place I remember is walking past Pall Mall I think and then into Trafalgar Square.
Next was Horse Guards Parade where I finally got my camera out - strangely felt a bit nervous about using it - but then I realised that most of the people there were tourists and pretty much everyone had a camera. Wanted to take a picture of the horses for my Mum.
I then noticed Whitehall and thought that where Big Ben and Parliament might be. So walked down Whitehall. Then noticed a crowd and some police officers about 200 yards in front of me wondered what was going on. It was only Downing Street !! I realised that when I saw the heavy duty security fencing and the the armed police but it was all very relaxed but I realised that the officers were very much alert to what was going on just in case anything did happen. To be honest, whatever you think about Gordon Brown, the government and the police, I personally feel very much reassured when I see the police officers there keeping an eye on things whilst allowing visitors the freedom to move around and take photos and such.
It's interesting and somewhat surreal seeing streets and places, buildings etc. that you've heard about and seen for years on the television pretty much every day but actually being there, to me, felt very surreal - especially recognising all the road names as I walked alone, even though I had no idea as to what road went where or direction or anything.
I then saw Big Ben, Parliament and the Wheel for the first time. I standing out of the way to take a picture of the Wheel - when a strange thing happened - a women, possibly of Romany origins came upto me very close and put what I think was a handmade flower in my shirt pocket and started talking about "for the children" and orphanages or something. I'm looking for ID that all charity people should have and legitimate ones usually do - I ask her politely who she is collecting for and she is still going on. I watching around me in case it is some kind of scam - cautiously take out my wallet covering myself all the time and give her 50p which is about what the flower is worth. Then she says something about wanting notes - "we want notes" or something. I shove the 50p in her hand a walk off over the Westminster Bridge as quickly as possible. I'm pretty sure she's not collecting for a genuine charity otherwise I would I have been more amiable. But that was the only incident as such the whole day.
I'm concious of the time now. I left Euston at about 1030. The photos of Big Ben that I took show 1145. I don't know where the time went!! I know that my booked train leaves Euston for Birmingham at 1243. So I think I get as far as St. Thomas Hospital and turn back. I get a bit disorientated around Trafalgar Square not knowing which street to take back towards Piccadilly as there doesn't appear to be a sign post. This was the first time I looked at a street map on a bus stop. I must have walked down Charing Cross Road because it's now about 1220 and I've resigned myself to not getting back in time for the train back and planning a plan B. So, I decide just to get back to Euston and take things from there.
I find myself outside Leicester Square tube station and the map mentions "St. Pancras". I know that I can change there onto the Victoria line then two stops later is Euston. I'm getting a real move on now. I have Advance tickets with Virgin and I'm thinking that if I pay £10 I can change to a later train but I'm not sure so I still get a move on. Follow the signs for Piccadilly Line I think to St. Pancras. A minute later a tube pulls in and about three stops later I'm at St. Pancras. I hear an announcement that says something about Victoria line being closed so I think well that's that then but follow the signs anyway and end up on a platform with tubes going to Euston on the Victoria line - another couple of minutes and a tube pulls in and a couple of stops later we are in Euston. The tube or the one before goes through Russell Square and the announcer says that they can't stop there and I think for a moment about 7/7 which I think is where one of the major incidents happened? I think, just for a moment, about the people that were stuck in tube trains that terrible day in the tunnels. A stop or two later we were at Euston.
I move as quickly as I can up the escalator to the main station. It is 1241 - my train - the 1243 Virgin Pendolino to Birmingham is waiting for me. Unfortunately no time to vist Euston First Class lounge. I board the train and I find my booked seat which is in the driving car by the kitchen. Don't like this coach much seems dimly lit and claustrophobic a bit although I'm the only person in there.
I am offered some complimentaries by the stewardess - Virgin Cola - 2 cans - great - especially as Virgin cola is my favourite brand.
After about 15 minutes I decided to take a look at the rest of the train, down to the shop. The train is 390-016 "Virgin Champion" - checking out the "facilities" on the way - not as bad as I had heard - must be a clean one. Spent far too much in the shop - nice sandwich, can of bourbon whiskey with cola, cake and a latte for over £9.
Make my way back to first class. Find that coach G is empty so pick a large table with 4 seats where I stay for the rest of the journey. We fly up through Wembley - I see the new stadium in the flesh for the first time only stopping at Milton Keynes before Coventry and International and then New Street. I remember going though Rugby this time. I think I saw a flash of a 57 Thunderbird at Rugby. About 6 mature people join the coach at International enjoying a taste of first class perhaps just to New Street - really can't say I blame them - that's how I started now I'm hooked !! The return journey was £26.50.
Arrive at New Street about 1403. Saw one of my favourite Voyagers - Bombardier Voyager waiting for his trip to Edinburgh - take a quick look at First - looks the same as the Pendolinos.
My time in Birmingham - about 3 hours is pretty much uneventful - I visited the Science Museum/ThinkTank at Millennium Point which I've been meaning to do for years. Last visited the old Science Museum before they moved it years ago. They've still got the steam train engine - City of Birmingham - which is really why I went there but it's more for kids these days - it's great for them but for £9 didn't do that much for me, sadly.
Caught the 1722 Arriva CrossCountry from Birmingham to Stansted Airport via Nuneaton which was absolutely rammed. I had to stand in the corridor by the carriage connector. I ended up sitting on the floor squashed up between the walls as I couldn't stand very well as I was really tired by this point having been on the go since 0500. The train manager says on the tannoy that as a special offer customers can upgrade to first class for £10. Last time I did that, several people came in there without a first class ticket and I'd just paid I think it was £16 for a 30 minute trip BHM-NUN knowing the train was going to be rammed, as it was again on this trip.
I did manage to fall asleep a couple times though as I was so tired but I was right by a tannoy speaker so knew when the stations were coming up.
Left the Arriva sardine can at Nuneaton about 1850 and caught the bus home. Slept for about 16 hours last night. Still exhausted now.
But it was a great day though, apart from the Romany lady and Arriva CrossCountry (as usual). Can't wait to do something similar again - but like I was advised and didn't listen - with more time in London next time.
I hope that was a useful read - I know my writing isn't the best - I hope you managed to stay with me to the end.
Many thanks for reading - take care.
Kindest regards,
Steve.
I just though I would post how I got on yesterday on my first ever visit to London including my first long Pendolino trip and first time on London Underground.
I apologise if my writing isn't the best in places - it's very note-like - please stay with me if you can.
0859 Virgin Pendolino from Nuneaton to London Euston - £35.00 First Advance Single with complimentary breakfast trial.
390-053 "Mission Accomplished" 2-3 minutes late at Nuneaton. Between 30 and 50 people waiting at Nuneaton.
Some of those may have been travelling on complimentary Daily Mirror tickets. Non-stop express to London Euston from Liverpool Lime Street, Runcorn and Stafford.
There was a London Midland leaving about the same time - maybe two or three minutes later - so glad I paid the extra for the Pendolino. I remember hearing a lady saying to her friend something about "we can't go on that one - it's more expensive" and felt a bit sorry for them.
Boarded the right coach but couldn't find my seat. I noticed that there were lots of more preferable seats empty and not reserved so I asked a member of the train crew if it was okay for me to change seats and he said it was fine so I chose one of the 1+1 seats by the windows which I prefer.
There must have been 6 members of crew looking after us and one well spoken mature lady asking carrying out market research by means of a printed questionnaire. Each member of crew appeared to be responsible for different things, like taking orders for breakfast, fruit juice, tea, coffee, and then delivering the breakfasts. The great British breakfast is very nice, but some might say the portions are small - 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, poached egg, and what I think is called a hash brown. Fruit juice and coffee - all of which I really enjoyed apart from not being offered any sugar for the coffee, which I don't really mind to be honest - not a big issue.
I'm enjoying the scenery a little bit whilst trying to eat - I'd already completed the survey by the time breakfast had arrived. I was thinking to myself had we been through Rugby yet - A minute or two later we were going through Milton Keynes or somewhere - the train absolutely flew - I knew he'd be quick, but it was something special.
I loved overtaking the London Midland 350's - two or three of them on their stopping services.
I really noticed the tilting going through North London around Berkhampsted I think whilst I was trying to drink made me feel a bit unwell just for a second. (I know about Berkhampsted - I've seen the Pendos on YouTube - I think that's where the phase "full tilt" comes from).
Arrived pretty much on time at Euston at just after 10am. Left the train onto the concourse still not sure where I was going - just followed the signposts really which is pretty much the same for the rest of the day. Then I remembered that I wanted to see the shops on Oxford Street and that someone advised me buy a Zones 1 and 2 travel card and catch a tube from Euston to Oxford Circus. Went down the escalator to Euston tube station and the must have been 50 or 60 people waiting to for the ticket machines. Thinking fast I went back up the escalator to Euston mainline station and used the Virgin Fast Ticket machine - at first I was refused a Zone 1 off-peak so tried Zone 1 and 2 off-peak which worked for £5.60.
Went back down to Euston tube - figured out the tube maps on the wall pretty much immediately - it's much more simple than I imagined. I just needed to figure out which platform I needed on which line. I knew I needed the Victoria line and once I was on the platform I realised that all tubes that stopped there were going the same direction every two or three minutes. Waited about a minute, hopped on and about 3 minutes later I saw Oxford Circus and left the train. I was quite impressed with the tube trains - I've never been on one before - or maybe once when I was very young and I don't remember - the tube trains seem very fast to be and the acceleration seems quite impressive - even faster than the mighty Pendolinos it seems - not bad for stock that is over 30 years old - about 2 years older than me - I which I was that quick and responsive!!
Left Oxford Circus and stepping out onto a London street, London proper, if you will, for the first time in my life seemed almost quite surreal. The buildings seemed older than I had expected, not like Birmingham which I am quite used to and seems really modern in comparison.
Then I just followed the street names really and the pedestrian sign posts still not really sure where I was headed. Very alert and aware of my surroundings and trying to keep out of peoples way pretty much. Headed down Oxford Street then spotted Regent Street so went down there onto Piccadilly Circus - smaller than I expected. The route is a bit sketchy from here - just looking at Google Maps now trying to retrace my route. The next place I remember is walking past Pall Mall I think and then into Trafalgar Square.
Next was Horse Guards Parade where I finally got my camera out - strangely felt a bit nervous about using it - but then I realised that most of the people there were tourists and pretty much everyone had a camera. Wanted to take a picture of the horses for my Mum.
I then noticed Whitehall and thought that where Big Ben and Parliament might be. So walked down Whitehall. Then noticed a crowd and some police officers about 200 yards in front of me wondered what was going on. It was only Downing Street !! I realised that when I saw the heavy duty security fencing and the the armed police but it was all very relaxed but I realised that the officers were very much alert to what was going on just in case anything did happen. To be honest, whatever you think about Gordon Brown, the government and the police, I personally feel very much reassured when I see the police officers there keeping an eye on things whilst allowing visitors the freedom to move around and take photos and such.
It's interesting and somewhat surreal seeing streets and places, buildings etc. that you've heard about and seen for years on the television pretty much every day but actually being there, to me, felt very surreal - especially recognising all the road names as I walked alone, even though I had no idea as to what road went where or direction or anything.
I then saw Big Ben, Parliament and the Wheel for the first time. I standing out of the way to take a picture of the Wheel - when a strange thing happened - a women, possibly of Romany origins came upto me very close and put what I think was a handmade flower in my shirt pocket and started talking about "for the children" and orphanages or something. I'm looking for ID that all charity people should have and legitimate ones usually do - I ask her politely who she is collecting for and she is still going on. I watching around me in case it is some kind of scam - cautiously take out my wallet covering myself all the time and give her 50p which is about what the flower is worth. Then she says something about wanting notes - "we want notes" or something. I shove the 50p in her hand a walk off over the Westminster Bridge as quickly as possible. I'm pretty sure she's not collecting for a genuine charity otherwise I would I have been more amiable. But that was the only incident as such the whole day.
I'm concious of the time now. I left Euston at about 1030. The photos of Big Ben that I took show 1145. I don't know where the time went!! I know that my booked train leaves Euston for Birmingham at 1243. So I think I get as far as St. Thomas Hospital and turn back. I get a bit disorientated around Trafalgar Square not knowing which street to take back towards Piccadilly as there doesn't appear to be a sign post. This was the first time I looked at a street map on a bus stop. I must have walked down Charing Cross Road because it's now about 1220 and I've resigned myself to not getting back in time for the train back and planning a plan B. So, I decide just to get back to Euston and take things from there.
I find myself outside Leicester Square tube station and the map mentions "St. Pancras". I know that I can change there onto the Victoria line then two stops later is Euston. I'm getting a real move on now. I have Advance tickets with Virgin and I'm thinking that if I pay £10 I can change to a later train but I'm not sure so I still get a move on. Follow the signs for Piccadilly Line I think to St. Pancras. A minute later a tube pulls in and about three stops later I'm at St. Pancras. I hear an announcement that says something about Victoria line being closed so I think well that's that then but follow the signs anyway and end up on a platform with tubes going to Euston on the Victoria line - another couple of minutes and a tube pulls in and a couple of stops later we are in Euston. The tube or the one before goes through Russell Square and the announcer says that they can't stop there and I think for a moment about 7/7 which I think is where one of the major incidents happened? I think, just for a moment, about the people that were stuck in tube trains that terrible day in the tunnels. A stop or two later we were at Euston.
I move as quickly as I can up the escalator to the main station. It is 1241 - my train - the 1243 Virgin Pendolino to Birmingham is waiting for me. Unfortunately no time to vist Euston First Class lounge. I board the train and I find my booked seat which is in the driving car by the kitchen. Don't like this coach much seems dimly lit and claustrophobic a bit although I'm the only person in there.
I am offered some complimentaries by the stewardess - Virgin Cola - 2 cans - great - especially as Virgin cola is my favourite brand.
After about 15 minutes I decided to take a look at the rest of the train, down to the shop. The train is 390-016 "Virgin Champion" - checking out the "facilities" on the way - not as bad as I had heard - must be a clean one. Spent far too much in the shop - nice sandwich, can of bourbon whiskey with cola, cake and a latte for over £9.
Make my way back to first class. Find that coach G is empty so pick a large table with 4 seats where I stay for the rest of the journey. We fly up through Wembley - I see the new stadium in the flesh for the first time only stopping at Milton Keynes before Coventry and International and then New Street. I remember going though Rugby this time. I think I saw a flash of a 57 Thunderbird at Rugby. About 6 mature people join the coach at International enjoying a taste of first class perhaps just to New Street - really can't say I blame them - that's how I started now I'm hooked !! The return journey was £26.50.
Arrive at New Street about 1403. Saw one of my favourite Voyagers - Bombardier Voyager waiting for his trip to Edinburgh - take a quick look at First - looks the same as the Pendolinos.
My time in Birmingham - about 3 hours is pretty much uneventful - I visited the Science Museum/ThinkTank at Millennium Point which I've been meaning to do for years. Last visited the old Science Museum before they moved it years ago. They've still got the steam train engine - City of Birmingham - which is really why I went there but it's more for kids these days - it's great for them but for £9 didn't do that much for me, sadly.
Caught the 1722 Arriva CrossCountry from Birmingham to Stansted Airport via Nuneaton which was absolutely rammed. I had to stand in the corridor by the carriage connector. I ended up sitting on the floor squashed up between the walls as I couldn't stand very well as I was really tired by this point having been on the go since 0500. The train manager says on the tannoy that as a special offer customers can upgrade to first class for £10. Last time I did that, several people came in there without a first class ticket and I'd just paid I think it was £16 for a 30 minute trip BHM-NUN knowing the train was going to be rammed, as it was again on this trip.
I did manage to fall asleep a couple times though as I was so tired but I was right by a tannoy speaker so knew when the stations were coming up.
Left the Arriva sardine can at Nuneaton about 1850 and caught the bus home. Slept for about 16 hours last night. Still exhausted now.
But it was a great day though, apart from the Romany lady and Arriva CrossCountry (as usual). Can't wait to do something similar again - but like I was advised and didn't listen - with more time in London next time.
I hope that was a useful read - I know my writing isn't the best - I hope you managed to stay with me to the end.
Many thanks for reading - take care.
Kindest regards,
Steve.
Yeah, I did take a while to work things out - it wouldn't have been possible without the excellent advice from other forum members, including yourself - especially considering that my knowledge of London before yesterday was limited to BBC News !! I think some of my concerns about using the Underground were unfounded - one of the three tubes was a little busy - but it was only for a few minutes between Leicester Square and St. Pancras - and for my purposes yesterday I found navigation of the tube network much easier than I had expected - admittedly I only covered a tiny fraction of it, though, over two lines.