• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRE offering Off Peak fares at Peak time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

campainr

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
43
Location
Warwick, UK
Hi all

I hope someone can help me with this. I am looking at travelling to London from Coventry on Thursday am, returning Friday pm. I have a 16-25 railcard. I did a search for the cost using the NRE website and it is offering cheap Off Peak fares for services such as the 0752 COV-EUS which surely cannot be correct?

When I do not add the railcard to the search it shows the price of the full anytime single which is £74. Is this a glitch in the NRE site or have I stumbled across some weird quirky deal? The fare is called a "Virgin Saver Half" which I Googled but can't find any more info on this.

I have attached some screenshots. I don't know whether to just buy the ticket and blame it on NRE if challenged but I have a feeling that strategy would not go down well!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this.
 

Attachments

  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 31
  • screenshot 2.png
    screenshot 2.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 25
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Hi all

I hope someone can help me with this. I am looking at travelling to London from Coventry on Thursday am, returning Friday pm. I have a 16-25 railcard. I did a search for the cost using the NRE website and it is offering cheap Off Peak fares for services such as the 0752 COV-EUS which surely cannot be correct?

When I do not add the railcard to the search it shows the price of the full anytime single which is £74. Is this a glitch in the NRE site or have I stumbled across some weird quirky deal? The fare is called a "Virgin Saver Half" which I Googled but can't find any more info on this.

I have attached some screenshots. I don't know whether to just buy the ticket and blame it on NRE if challenged but I have a feeling that strategy would not go down well!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this.
Virgin have an easement which allows the use of railcard discounted off-peak tickets at peak times. See: http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/railcard-discount/

So NRE is correct.
 

cool110

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
846
Location
Preston
There's 2 things going on that are specific to Virgin (west coast). The 1st is the railcard easement that allows off-peak tickets to be used in the peak when discounted with some railcards. The other is the existence of the "saver half" (SVH) which are set at exactly half of the return and can only be bought with another single in the other direction, they intended to be used when buying an advance one way but flexibility is wanted in the other direction.
 

campainr

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
43
Location
Warwick, UK
Virgin have an easement which allows the use of railcard discounted off-peak tickets at peak times. See: http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/railcard-discount/

So NRE is correct.

Thanks for your quick reply with the good news. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's 2 things going on that are specific to Virgin (west coast). The 1st is the railcard easement that allows off-peak tickets to be used in the peak when discounted with some railcards. The other is the existence of the "saver half" (SVH) which are set at exactly half of the return and can only be bought with another single in the other direction, they intended to be used when buying an advance one way but flexibility is wanted in the other direction.

Thanks. Saver halfs sound like a good idea.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
Virgin allow railcard Off Peak Single/Returm tickets to be used anytime.
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
The fare is called a "Virgin Saver Half" which I Googled but can't find any more info on this.

The fare used to be called Saver Half before "simplification" decided that all tickets had to be called either Anytime, Off-Peak or Advance. The former Saver Half fare is now called an Off-Peak Single, but you can only buy it as part of a return journey, as opposed to the completely different Off-Peak Single ticket (the one which was formerly called Saver Single until they decided this was too complicated), which is available for a single journey...
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Just to add, in case anyone else reads this thread for info, the easement does not apply to all railcard types - sadly including Two Together railcards.
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,017
Location
here to eternity
Officially, no. A nice Virgin Train Manager, on the other hand... ;)

As far as I know, it is only railcards.

But on the other hand a not so nice Virgin Train Manager could see the use of a PRIV off -peak ticket on a peak service as a mis-use of PRIV so be careful!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top