• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR Band Pay Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

lca99

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Scotland
Hi, looking for some input if anyone can help. Currently awaiting word on the outcome of an interview for a Band 5 role within NWR. The advertisement for this job states it is Band 5 beginning at £34,000, I am currently an S&T Technician on the new contract so my current base salary is around £44,000. If I were to be successful in this role is there any way to maintain my current rate of pay? I have tried to work this out through NWR’s resources but struggling to make sense of it. If anyone has experienced anything similar and knows anything on this topic I would appreciate some help, thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

henke7

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2018
Messages
233
I’d say no, as you’re applying for this job and the salary is advertised at the rate you’ve stated.
 

TSG

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2020
Messages
207
Location
Somewhere in the South of England
Hi, looking for some input if anyone can help. Currently awaiting word on the outcome of an interview for a Band 5 role within NWR. The advertisement for this job states it is Band 5 beginning at £34,000, I am currently an S&T Technician on the new contract so my current base salary is around £44,000. If I were to be successful in this role is there any way to maintain my current rate of pay? I have tried to work this out through NWR’s resources but struggling to make sense of it. If anyone has experienced anything similar and knows anything on this topic I would appreciate some help, thanks.
Band 5 may start at £34000, but it would also include your current salary towards the top of the band I believe. I don't think its typical for them to reduce your salary if it sits within the band of the job you're taking up. Check with your union rep, if you have one. At the end of the day, if they offer you the job you can check what salary they're offering. They really should be expecting you to ask to maintain your current salary. If they don't want to offer you that you can say no and stay in the job you're in.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I’d say no, as you’re applying for this job and the salary is advertised at the rate you’ve stated.
NR role clarity is bands. What is advertised is the bottom of the band. Internal candidates typically only get that if they earn less than that currently
 
Last edited:

henke7

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2018
Messages
233
Band 5 may start at £34000, but it would also include your current salary towards the top of the band I believe. I don't think its typical for them to reduce your salary if it sits within the band of the job you're taking up. Check with your union rep, if you have one. At the end of the day, if they offer you the job you can check what salary they're offering. They really should be expecting you to ask to maintain your current salary. If they don't want to offer you that you can say no and stay in the job you're in.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


NR role clarity is bands. What is advertised is the bottom of the band. Internal candidates typically only get that if they earn less than that currently
Yes but an S&T technician is graded not banded. Both of those jobs are on different pay scales.
 

TSG

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2020
Messages
207
Location
Somewhere in the South of England
Yes but an S&T technician is graded not banded. Both of those jobs are on different pay scales.
If the job you apply for has the salary for your grade within the band you apply for, that establishes some equivalence between the roles. What justification is there to reduce your pay if there is equivalence? Lots of people move from front line to management roles in NR and go from graded to banded jobs. There are T&C changes e.g. overtime or allowances no longer paid, but salary doesn't usually reduce. After all, what would be the point of offering people a pay cut if you want them to take the job?
 

henke7

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2018
Messages
233
If the job you apply for has the salary for your grade within the band you apply for, that establishes some equivalence between the roles. What justification is there to reduce your pay if there is equivalence? Lots of people move from front line to management roles in NR and go from graded to banded jobs. There are T&C changes e.g. overtime or allowances no longer paid, but salary doesn't usually reduce. After all, what would be the point of offering people a pay cut if you want them to take the job?
I see where you are coming from, however S&T technician is a maintenance job. If you choose to leave maintenance and go to banded that is a personal choice and not forced. S&T supervisors and section managers are graded too. The equivalent S&T role which is banded would be the Assistant S&T Maintenance Engineer which is approximately the same salary as the OP is on.
 
Last edited:

TSG

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2020
Messages
207
Location
Somewhere in the South of England
The point I was making is that the overlap of band 5 with the technician's salary establishes that there is not such a large mismatch between the responsibilities/skills of the role that the current salary could no longer be justified.

I wasn't trying to directly equate the jobs because that it isn't how bands work. The top can be 150% of the base. Taking your AS&TME for example, the base of band 4C is slightly less than the OPs current salary, that's true. However, the technicians are managed by section supervisors who's base salary will be higher. In turn those supervisors are managed by section managers who will have a higher salary than the supervisors. If the AS&TME is managing section managers, they should have a higher salary than most of their reports (historically there have been anomalies but a recent agreement with TSSA addresses this). So in practice the AS&TME could be well above the base of 4C while still remaining in the band.
 

lca99

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Scotland
Thanks for the responses. I think the way to go about this is asking my union rep the question and seeing what they think, I’m willing to take the pay cut for the change but obviously going to exhaust the possibility of retaining some of my rate if it’s an option.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2019
Messages
531
Location
North West
Thanks for the responses. I think the way to go about this is asking my union rep the question and seeing what they think, I’m willing to take the pay cut for the change but obviously going to exhaust the possibility of retaining some of my rate if it’s an option.
Why get the union involved? Just negotiate with the hiring manager.
 
Joined
28 Jul 2025
Messages
10
Location
new cross gate
Hi, looking for some input if anyone can help. Currently awaiting word on the outcome of an interview for a Band 5 role within NWR. The advertisement for this job states it is Band 5 beginning at £34,000, I am currently an S&T Technician on the new contract so my current base salary is around £44,000. If I were to be successful in this role is there any way to maintain my current rate of pay? I have tried to work this out through NWR’s resources but struggling to make sense of it. If anyone has experienced anything similar and knows anything on this topic I would appreciate some help, thanks.
do you know if new s&t technitians will be studying at doncaster this year; i enrol for my apprenticeship this year and have been curious as to how the residential works if i am from london .
 

lca99

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2024
Messages
14
Location
Scotland
do you know if new s&t technitians will be studying at doncaster this year; i enrol for my apprenticeship this year and have been curious as to how the residential works if i am from london .
The system is a bit different for myself as I’m based in Scotland, we were trained out of a local training centre for a year then spent the rest of our time working out of our assigned depot.
 
Joined
28 Jul 2025
Messages
10
Location
new cross gate
The system is a bit different for myself as I’m based in Scotland, we were trained out of a local training centre for a year then spent the rest of our time working out of our assigned depot.
cani ask was the training at the beginning for 20 weeks consecutively or was it weeks at a time?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top