• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nove Udoli (Czech Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestRiding

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2012
Messages
1,014
In summer I will be staying in Cesky Krumlov and notice that there are trains to Nove Udoli. I fancy a train ride while there and notice that it goes through the national park. Is it a nice ride? Anything to do at Nove Udoli? And what sort of rolling stock it may be? I cannot help wonder what justifies this lines existence.....
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6700

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2010
Messages
758
I did the line a few years ago. I can't remember the scenery, but do recall locals travelling with baskets for collecting mushrooms in the forests and some tourists being on board.

Despite my poor recollection of the line, the reason I am replying is the novelty item at the end of the line, at Nove Udoli itself. That is what is described as the World's shortest international railway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NJimr6otXY
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I did the line last year, from memory it was quite a nice run. When I was there, half the trains were Class 754(?) diesels on double deckers, and the other half were Class 842 railcars, although I seem to remember the hauled sets were on borrowed time so not sure if that's still the case? You also have to change at Černý Kříž if memory serves correctly, and the leg from there to Nové Údolí was a Class 814 railbus.
 
Last edited:

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
Rolling stock will be cd842 and trailers, with the odd cd810 railbus thrown in. In the summer there may be a few steam or vintage railcar specials (dirt cheap and highly recommended) but there are no details as yet.

The line is quite attractive in a 'rolling fields of barley/ pine forests/ hills/mountains' sort of way, as are the lines that head up to the Plzen-Ceske Budejovice main line from Cerny Kriz- you can do the whole lot on a 'South Bohemia' day rover ticket for about £8 :)

https://www.cd.cz/assets/vnitrostatni-cestovani/jizdenka/jizdne-a-slevy/jihocesky.pdf
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Ive just booked a week in Horni Plana so have been checking up!

This year is the last year of operation by CD before the franchised operation takes over (GTR - no, not ours!). So do it while you can.

In summer, 2 out of 3 diagrams during the day are class 754 (Goggles) with 2-3 elderly coaches, at least one a double decker. The third is 2x842 and 2 trailers. I doubt this will change. From Cerny Kriz to Nove Udoli the frequency is hourly, the others come from Cicenice via Volary and are probably 814s.

The trip is well worth doing (uphill, window open!), but leave time for some walking/sightseeing.

There is also now a daily semi-fast from Prague and, in summer, an open-access working by Arriva as far as Nova Pec with an ex DB class 628.

Nove Udoli is in the middle of nowhere, but has a snack bar, a museum (?) and the aforementioned novelty railway. And at weekends a limited bus connection with the Ilztalbahn down to Passau.

Steam is most likely to operate in July or early August going by previous years.

Watch out for RRBs - the line was still being modernised last summer though I think it's finished.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
I cannot help wonder what justifies this lines existence.....

Tourism (Lake Lipno and access to the National Park) and local traffic. I think Stozec-Nove Udoli is a post-Communist era reopening - the area was heavily restricted after 1945.

The line originally ran through to Waldkirchen etc hut that was pre 1918.
 

dutchflyer

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
1,550
Too long ago to remember the scenery. NU is nearly right on the border and in summer there are now some connecting buses onward with a special ride-at-will ticket available. Recall the ''station'' was not much more as a shack there.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Tourism (Lake Lipno and access to the National Park) and local traffic. I think Stozec-Nove Udoli is a post-Communist era reopening - the area was heavily restricted after 1945.
...

I don't know the place, but i suspect the line remained open for goods/military traffic under communism. The station appears to be about 150m from the border, and West Germany was a 'hot' border. As you say, this would have been well within what was then the 'inner border' zone, which meant that even Czechoslovak citizens needed a police pass to enter the area in the grim old days - and would have been arrested had they tried to enter without one.

I suspect, if you know where to look, you can still see some look-out towers etc about 3 km from today's international border.

Looks a very wild, beautiful place in summer - and darned cold and bleak in winter !
 
Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I`m in Czech next week on a rail tour, fly into Budapest next Thursday, I visit often and have a mate, an ex pat who lives outside Brno, I`m not familiar with the location you mention, but will try to get some information for you,
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top