• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringiton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2024
Messages
645
Location
derby
You mention arriva derby, they have a way older fleet and they still have most of the fleet up and running. Last week I think they had a problem with their omnicities but this week they seem fine.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Maybe they all need new engines, doubt the money is there.
Maybe not just the oldest ones as well, some of Kinchbus' ones already sound a bit knackered although they are only 4 years old! Money probably isn't there, they wasted it all on the new batch of MMCs. Probably would've been cheaper to keep the Eclipses going!
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
You mention arriva derby, they have a way older fleet and they still have most of the fleet up and running. Last week I think they had a problem with their omnicities but this week they seem fine.
You say that but the majority of their fleet are Scanias, Volvos, VDLs or Wrights. When they purchased them I reckon they knew they would be reliable.
 
Last edited:

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,341
Location
Nottingham
Money probably isn't there, they wasted it all on the new batch of MMCs. Probably would've been cheaper to keep the Eclipses going!
I think they're just waiting for the best thing to spend it on (Red Arrow coaches amongst other things), as I said money is certainly not the issue here!
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Well at least someone has some sense if they want to spend it well. Hopefully also with Kinchbus' electrics they go for decent buses, ideally Yutong or Wright!
I can assure you money us no object for trentbarton- they're planning on spending A LOT for some custom built Scania double deck coaches to the highest possible specification.
Double deck coaches? At least they're being built by Scania, but is the capacity really there for an every 10 minute frequency with those?
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,341
Location
Nottingham
Double deck coaches? At least they're being built by Scania, but is the capacity really there for an every 10 minute frequency with those?
Not sure about that but they definitely want to grow the service. 10/15 seats downstairs and 70 odd upstairs was the desired specification I think, along with luggage and bike areas and to a very very high interior specification.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Not sure about that but they definitely want to grow the service. 10/15 seats downstairs and 70 odd upstairs was the desired specification I think, along with luggage and bike areas and to a very very high interior specification.
Well it certainly sounds interesting. I'm guessing 'high specification' means coach-style seats, working WiFi, USB ports etc.? On the subject of red arrow, there is only 1 diagram missing today with all of the currently operating services being run by coaches!
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
The ones running south of Nottingham have been branded Central Connect for ages - I'd just assumed they'd not removed the previous operators branding!
Yes, red and blue Enviro 200s from Essex

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Well at least someone has some sense if they want to spend it well. Hopefully also with Kinchbus' electrics they go for decent buses, ideally Yutong or Wright!

Double deck coaches? At least they're being built by Scania, but is the capacity really there for an every 10 minute frequency with those?
I suspect Kinchbus will have ADL electrics.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
I suspect Kinchbus will have ADL electrics
Probably, unfortunately. Over the last few years though local operators have chosen Yutongs, and have heard nothing bad about them. At least if they get ADLs they won't be able to use the 'batteries worn out' excuse as most electric buses have to be replaced/have their batteries replaced after 8-10 years!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Unless they decide to go for the older E200 EVs (known for being a fire hazard), the next generation of E200EV will not even be available to purchase for another year at least, and they might only have a certain amount of time to spend the government grant. One thing I can't take away from the 'next generation' of ADL, are the looks of them. Imo, they look pretty nice, especially the fronts!
 
Last edited:

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
Probably, unfortunately. Over the last few years though local operators have chosen Yutongs, and have heard nothing bad about them. At least if they get ADLs they won't be able to use the 'batteries worn out' excuse as most electric buses have to be replaced/have their batteries replaced after 8-10 years!
Nottingham claim the Yutong was the best bus on the market for their needs . Operators seem to be dealing with the battery issue, maybe they rent them.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Nottingham claim the Yutong was the best bus on the market for their needs . Operators seem to be dealing with the battery issue, maybe they rent them.
Seems to be the best for most operators. They don't have many rattles and apparently parts can be supplied easily to operators as well! With the introduction of the Yutong E9s, smaller services such as the sprint can be provided, so Kinch could end up having a fleet of 8/9 E9s, 5 E12s and the rest E10s.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That is, only if they chose them.
 

Mikw

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2022
Messages
547
Location
Leicester
Probably, unfortunately. Over the last few years though local operators have chosen Yutongs, and have heard nothing bad about them. At least if they get ADLs they won't be able to use the 'batteries worn out' excuse as most electric buses have to be replaced/have their batteries replaced after 8-10 years!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Unless they decide to go for the older E200 EVs (known for being a fire hazard), the next generation of E200EV will not even be available to purchase for another year at least, and they might only have a certain amount of time to spend the government grant. One thing I can't take away from the 'next generation' of ADL, are the looks of them. Imo, they look pretty nice, especially the fronts!
How much of a fire hazard? According to research from "EV Fire Safe" only 27 electric buses have caught fire since 2010 globally.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Nottingham claim the Yutong was the best bus on the market for their needs . Operators seem to be dealing with the battery issue, maybe they rent them.
We've had Yutongs in Leicester for a few years now and they've been excellent.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
Seems to be the best for most operators. They don't have many rattles and apparently parts can be supplied easily to operators as well! With the introduction of the Yutong E9s, smaller services such as the sprint can be provided, so Kinch could end up having a fleet of 8/9 E9s, 5 E12s and the rest E10s.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That is, only if they chose them.
Parts supplied easily to operators is good to see, because the purchase is far more than just buying the bus. But Wellglade seemed to make a thing of buying British.... But what if it is not the right product?
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
How much of a fire hazard? According to research from "EV Fire Safe" only 27 electric buses have caught fire since 2010 globally.
Didn't all of them get taken out of service due to faulty heaters recently?
We've had Yutongs in Leicester for a few years now and they've been excellent.
I have been on the park and ride, hospital hopper and hop services, can confirm were excellent with minimal rattles!
But Wellglade seemed to make a thing of buying British.... But what if it is not the right product?
If you're going for electrics, it probably isn't, at least not at the moment. Wellglade's policies are a bit too stringent at the moment, having to buy every bus new, and British.
 

SSmith2009

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2021
Messages
594
Location
East Midlands
Seems to be the best for most operators. They don't have many rattles and apparently parts can be supplied easily to operators as well! With the introduction of the Yutong E9s, smaller services such as the sprint can be provided, so Kinch could end up having a fleet of 8/9 E9s, 5 E12s and the rest E10s.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That is, only if they chose them.

Yutong E9s would be perfect for sprint as they're narrow and could easily fit around the campus.

The Hop! ones in Leicester with Centrebus are great.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Yutong E9s would be perfect for sprint as they're narrow and could easily fit around the campus.

The Hop! ones in Leicester with Centrebus are great.
They would, and have only ever seen them busy in peak times, or otherwise nearly empty! They are also dual door I think, which is also good for the shuttle services. Let's hope Wellglade are drawn away from ADL and towards Yutong.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I get quite annoyed when I see a sprint with practically no-one on and know that the campus shuttle is also wasting buses which could contribute to a full town service. It's a shame and maybe they should reduce the day timetables to use less buses or campus shuttles only at peak times.
 
Last edited:

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
They would, and have only ever seen them busy in peak times, or otherwise nearly empty! They are also dual door I think, which is also good for the shuttle services. Let's hope Wellglade are drawn away from ADL and towards Yutong.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I get quite annoyed when I see a sprint with practically no-one on and know that the campus shuttle is also wasting buses which could contribute to a full town service. It's a shame and maybe they should reduce the day timetables to use less buses or campus shuttles only at peak times.
I guess it comes down to which service delivers most profit.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
I guess it comes down to which service delivers most profit.
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. What also irks me is that they care if there are 2 buses on Kinchbus 9, but not 3. For example when 904 was taken back to the depot earlier today they replaced it quite quickly. However they can't be bothered to go a bit further and just use another one.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Generally speaking though, as I usually plan journeys in advance/check bustimes, never had any problems with services that are running! Nothing particularly (aside maintenance) seems to have ever been a problem for me.
 
Last edited:

bringiton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2024
Messages
645
Location
derby
Generally speaking though, as I usually plan journeys in advance/check bustimes, never had any problems with services that are running! Nothing particularly (aside maintenance) seems to have ever been a problem for me.
Yeah I tend to check bus times before I leave and stuff, but when you have to leave at 7am and the service starts not long before that when that service is cancelled I quickly have to change what busses I am getting.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
Yeah I tend to check bus times before I leave and stuff, but when you have to leave at 7am and the service starts not long before that when that service is cancelled I quickly have to change what busses I am getting.
I reckon most people that use them now probably check bustimes. The same diagrams seem to be cancelled daily so you could also work out what bus to catch from previous days.
 

bringiton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2024
Messages
645
Location
derby
I reckon most people that use them now probably check bustimes. The same diagrams seem to be cancelled daily so you could also work out what bus to catch from previous days.
Yeah I have given up looking and trying to get on the 7.35 Red arrow to Nottingham since its always cancelled, can always guarantee that the 7.45 to Nottingham isn't cancelled since that's the 5.00am start diagram so I would be confused about how they have no bus at the start of service
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
I reckon most people that use them now probably check bustimes. The same diagrams seem to be cancelled daily so you could also work out what bus to catch from previous days.
I have to say when you know your way round Bustimes, you can predict what will not run, and avoid accordingly.. Trentbarton seems to be suggesting some of their buses have been in accidents today. One might actually use data to suggest they might have involved 173 on the 1 to Alfreton and 851 on the Nines at Ripley. Hopefully not serious, but that could be a other two buses off . One guy keeps asking about a 9.3 at 15.15 ex Mansfield which sees a few cancellations. I guess when the last bus leaves the depot and there are diagrams outstanding, there isn't much you can do.
 

Mr TrainGuy

Member
Joined
29 May 2024
Messages
131
Location
United Kingdom
I have to say when you know your way round Bustimes, you can predict what will not run, and avoid accordingly.. Trentbarton seems to be suggesting some of their buses have been in accidents today. One might actually use data to suggest they might have involved 173 on the 1 to Alfreton and 851 on the Nines at Ripley. Hopefully not serious, but that could be a other two buses off . One guy keeps asking about a 9.3 at 15.15 ex Mansfield which sees a few cancellations. I guess when the last bus leaves the depot and there are diagrams outstanding, there isn't much you can do.
Oh well, shame the drivers have to receive the complaints, they seem nice and probably deal with it all the time.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
Yeah I have given up looking and trying to get on the 7.35 Red arrow to Nottingham since its always cancelled, can always guarantee that the 7.45 to Nottingham isn't cancelled since that's the 5.00am start diagram so I would be confused about how they have no bus at the start of service
I'd wager the 07.35 is the 8th or 9th bus out in the morning, so shortage of vehicles would impact it adversely. Tried to work it out, certainly 8th.
 

bringiton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2024
Messages
645
Location
derby
I'd wager the 07.35 is the 8th or 9th bus out in the morning, so shortage of vehicles would impact it adversely. Tried to work it out, certainly 8th.
Yeah it's thr first departure for the shift, I'm fairly sure by which there are usually about 6 buses out. Bear in mind though,I haven't really seen a full service all day so I wouldn't know what times each actually should go out and how many should be out when. I will say though, them using more coaches on Red Arrow than spares means vehicles won't get taken off to cover on another service. However, it does mean like now (there's six vehicles on the route out of nine, all coaches and no spares) that the service doesn't get cover since they have a suitable amount of vehicles on the route that keep people relatively happy.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
Yeah it's thr first departure for the shift, I'm fairly sure by which there are usually about 6 buses out. Bear in mind though,I haven't really seen a full service all day so I wouldn't know what times each actually should go out and how many should be out when. I will say though, them using more coaches on Red Arrow than spares means vehicles won't get taken off to cover on another service. However, it does mean like now (there's six vehicles on the route out of nine, all coaches and no spares) that the service doesn't get cover since they have a suitable amount of vehicles on the route that keep people relatively happy.
Oh, I must have miscounted. I thought Red Arrow was down to 5 coaches. Of course, some of the coaches may have been on the route overnight.
 

joieman

Member
Joined
18 Feb 2024
Messages
988
Location
Loughborough
That's what they want to do as far as I'm aware. Heard rumours that some of the displaced Eclipse Urbans will replace them when trentbarton get their next batch of MMCs.
That is funnily enough what I originally thought would replace the Solars, only I didn't put the cuts to the service 2 into the equation.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,689
Location
Derby
Oh, I must have miscounted. I thought Red Arrow was down to 5 coaches. Of course, some of the coaches may have been on the route overnight.
During the adverts, I had a quick look at RA diagrams. 83 on night duty. Around 05.00, in order 87, 82, 84, 81, 83 (back), 80, 86... At 07.55 , 99 appeared. I don't think 85 and 88 are on the road, so had 99 not been available or any spare Mango bus, you get missed diagrams. Looks like the 07.35 is the 8th diagram, and 99 covering the 9th. Seems to suggest the 07.35 and 07.55 maybe the diagrams least likely to run.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

That is funnily enough what I originally thought would replace the Solars, only I didn't put the cuts to the service 2 into the equation.
There is me wondering where Enviros 101 to 106 might end up...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top