• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noticed expired railcard myself, not made any journeys using it

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosmarinus

New Member
Joined
14 May 2026
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
Hey
I noticed my railcard had expired a few months ago when trying to show someone how railcards work.
I was mortified as I am a stickler for the rules, and I checked my previous journeys and the prices I paid, and it seems to me that I did not actually use my rail card on any of them, as I paid the full fare. This makes sense to me as I do often forget to apply it, or forget to apply for delay repay, etc.

I have now renewed my railcard

Do I need to get in touch with SWR about this or not as I did not seem to actually use my railcard at any time since it expired?

I'm very anxious to do the correct thing now.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
If you didn’t claimed a railcard discount while it was expired and you weren’t entitled to it then you’ve not done anything wrong and no reason to tell anyone. You don’t have to have a railcard.
 

SussexMan

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2010
Messages
553
I was mortified as I am a stickler for the rules...

Why would you be mortified if you haven't broken the rules?

You say you didn't renew your railcard when it expired and at the same time you didn't use it after it had expired. I'm sorry, but I just do not understand your post. Why would you want to tell SWR that you didn't renew your railcard and at the same time didn't use it?

I think the only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you put a reminder on your phone one month before your current one expires (assuming you will still be eligible for it if it is an age restricted railcard) so that you remember to buy one when your new one expires.
 

rosmarinus

New Member
Joined
14 May 2026
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
Why would you be mortified if you haven't broken the rules?

You say you didn't renew your railcard when it expired and at the same time you didn't use it after it had expired. I'm sorry, but I just do not understand your post. Why would you want to tell SWR that you didn't renew your railcard and at the same time didn't use it?

I think the only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you put a reminder on your phone one month before your current one expires (assuming you will still be eligible for it if it is an age restricted railcard) so that you remember to buy one when your new one expires.
Why would you be mortified if you haven't broken the rules?

You say you didn't renew your railcard when it expired and at the same time you didn't use it after it had expired. I'm sorry, but I just do not understand your post. Why would you want to tell SWR that you didn't renew your railcard and at the same time didn't use it?

I think the only thing I would suggest is that you make sure you put a reminder on your phone one month before your current one expires (assuming you will still be eligible for it if it is an age restricted railcard) so that you remember to buy one when your new one expires.
Okay, thank you, sorry if it is confusing, I went through an emotional rollercoaster panicking I had used it while expired, as i hadnt realised it had been expired for two months, then hugely relieved to see I seem not to have. Actually I think I did put it on my tickets sometimes, if I recall correctly, but the price of tickets was below £13 so it did not apply, luckily. I guess I just wanted to double check I hadn't done wrong, and yes I will set a reminder.





== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have cross referenced journeys and prices myself to see if I got any discount i.e used my railcard, and I didn't, but I wondered if I need to let the train line know also so they can do that themselves..?
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
I have cross referenced journeys and prices myself to see if I got any discount i.e used my railcard, and I didn't, but I wondered if I need to let the train line know also so they can do that themselves..?
Sorry, please clarify. What do you think that Trainline (as in the third party ticketing app?) or SWR (your local train operator) should be doing for you?
 

rosmarinus

New Member
Joined
14 May 2026
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
Sorry, please clarify. What do you think that Trainline (as in the third party ticketing app?) or SWR (your local train operator) should be doing for you?
I wondered whether they would want to be checking I did not use my railcard for the journeys taken since it expired, in case I made a mistake checking it myself or to check I'm not lying I suppose I just don't want to get into trouble and I'm still feeling worried. I have a lot of anxiety, maybe I am overworrying here...? My apologies if so.
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
You are seriously over worrying, and don’t need to do anything.
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
Even if you have miscalculated and did apply the railcard while it was expired, as you were not stopped while travelling at any stage, there will be zero consequences. The only time expired railcards matter is if you are stopped while travelling on a discounted ticket and your railcard is checked at that point. So there really is nothing for you to worry about.

Just make sure you set a reminder for future expiry dates.
 

JamesWatson

Verified Rep - OnTrack Retail
Joined
13 Mar 2026
Messages
21
Location
London
I wondered whether they would want to be checking I did not use my railcard for the journeys taken since it expired, in case I made a mistake checking it myself or to check I'm not lying I suppose I just don't want to get into trouble and I'm still feeling worried. I have a lot of anxiety, maybe I am overworrying here...? My apologies if so.
Your railcard had expired. As such, you did not "have a railcard". Neither Trainline nor SWR think you had a railcard. There is nothing for them to check, as long as you didn't buy any railcard-discounted tickets during this time, there is absolutely nothing for you to worry about.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,877
Your railcard had expired. As such, you did not "have a railcard"
I would have thought it relatively common for those who travel infrequently, say two or three times a year, that they allow a railcard to expire and only renew it when the next trip is imminent. You can buy discounted tickets regardless of whether you have a current railcard. The rule is that you need it when travelling.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
I would have thought it relatively common for those who travel infrequently, say two or three times a year, that they allow a railcard to expire and only renew it when the next trip is imminent. You can buy discounted tickets regardless of whether you have a current railcard. The rule is that you need it when travelling.
And you can buy on behalf of someone else, so the fact that (for example) you bought an anytime return from Penzance to Wick with railcard discount for travel on 1st April but did not have a railcard valid on that date is (now) irrelevant (except perhaps to your conscience). No one is going to be able to prove who (if anyone) travelled on that ticket. If you’d been caught whilst on that journey it would be a different matter.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
as long as you didn't buy any railcard-discounted tickets during this time
I'm possibly being pedantic here, but you can buy railcard discounted tickets without holding a railcard. I've done it multiple times, usually for advance travel where I will then buy the railcard closer to the travel date.

The offence is when you use them without having a railcard.

To the OP: unless you were stopped when using a railcard discounted ticket without holding a valid railcard, you have nothing to worry about.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,462
Location
Somerset
I'm possibly being pedantic here, but you can buy railcard discounted tickets without holding a railcard. I've done it multiple times, usually for advance travel where I will then buy the railcard closer to the travel date.

The offence is when you use them without having a railcard.

To the OP: unless you were stopped when using a railcard discounted ticket without holding a valid railcard, you have nothing to worry about.
Don’t think it’s being pedantic at all - it’s a very important difference (both ways around).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top