On September 3rd 2024, I was stopped at London Bridge by a Southern Eastern Officer. Given that I was unable to produce a valid ticket for my journey from Crawley to London Bridge, I have been asked a series of questions as part of the MG11 statement procedure, I have provided my correct details, and been given a slip of paper with a case reference and a notice of prosecution. I have “short-ticketed” from Crawley to Clapham Junction for the past eight months. I have travelled to London Bridge only three times and been caught this morning. This is the first time my name goes on a Transport Company record for unpaid fares.
I have read from start to end many of the threads here posted. I would like to thank you beforehand for all the support you provide to cope with the anxiety and stress the situation poses. I am genuinely sorry for what happened, me and my Partner have a baby on the way, and I’m happy that this has finally happened so that I can stop putting at risk my work career.
Given my circumstances, I’m aware that I will receive within three months a letter asking for my version of what happened. I do not intend to lie in anyway as I hope to settle this outside of court and not taint my criminal record. Based on the above, on the response letter you recommend to:
Given my circumstances, I was also reading that my purchasing history will be checked, so:
I would be grateful if you could confirm how comprehensive my account of the situation is, whether you can point me at templates to draft a response tailored to my case, and any advice you think it might be useful for me to know.
Thanks again for your attention to the matter.
I have read from start to end many of the threads here posted. I would like to thank you beforehand for all the support you provide to cope with the anxiety and stress the situation poses. I am genuinely sorry for what happened, me and my Partner have a baby on the way, and I’m happy that this has finally happened so that I can stop putting at risk my work career.
Given my circumstances, I’m aware that I will receive within three months a letter asking for my version of what happened. I do not intend to lie in anyway as I hope to settle this outside of court and not taint my criminal record. Based on the above, on the response letter you recommend to:
- Show insight, remorse and be sorry for what has happened
- Make clear what I have learnt from the incident
- Be keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
Given my circumstances, I was also reading that my purchasing history will be checked, so:
- I could be asked to provide reasons as to why I have not paid the full ticket for past journeys.
- Based on the above, there is a possibility that I might settle this out of court thereby covering the all-the-day fare of all the journeys I have not paid in full
- However, it is advised to not incriminate myself any further and respond with regards to the September 3rd episode only
I would be grateful if you could confirm how comprehensive my account of the situation is, whether you can point me at templates to draft a response tailored to my case, and any advice you think it might be useful for me to know.
Thanks again for your attention to the matter.
