• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleasehelpandy

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
Croydon
Hello,

I received a notice of intention to prosecute letter that I was expecting from back in April (attached). I was wondering if I can get some help with the response letter I drafted and some indication of what to expect here. For full disclosure I have short fared for about a year now and even got a penalty fare for not having a correct ticket before.

Obviously, now I see the severity of what I was doing and not been short-faring since but I want to know if I will be able to settle out of court as getting a criminal conviction is an outcome I want to avoid. I have draft of a response below and would appreciate any help and feedback, Thank you.

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I'm writing in regard to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute dated XX XX XXXX. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond.

On XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, I was approached by a Revenue Protection Officer after failing to show that I had the correct train fare. I fully accept responsibility for this and understand that my actions were wrong. I now realise the broader impact fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret what happened. The experience has been very distressing, and I am genuinely sorry.

This has been a wake-up call, and I can confidently say this won’t happen again. I am committed to always ensuring I have the correct ticket in future.

If possible, I would be very thankful for the opportunity to settle this matter without it progressing to court. I’m prepared to cover any penalty fare and administrative fees associated with the case.

Please accept my sincere apologies, and thank you for considering a resolution outside of legal proceedings.
 

Attachments

  • Scan (1).jpeg
    Scan (1).jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,979
Location
Airedale
Your reply is on the right lines, and GTR will almost certainly settle. but you must expect them to investigate your travel history and up the settlement amount accordingly. They will base it on the full fare for the journey/s involved.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,308
Hello,

I received a notice of intention to prosecute letter that I was expecting from back in April (attached). I was wondering if I can get some help with the response letter I drafted and some indication of what to expect here. For full disclosure I have short fared for about a year now and even got a penalty fare for not having a correct ticket before.

Obviously, now I see the severity of what I was doing and not been short-faring since but I want to know if I will be able to settle out of court as getting a criminal conviction is an outcome I want to avoid. I have draft of a response below and would appreciate any help and feedback, Thank you.

Dear Fare Evasion Manager,

I'm writing in regard to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute dated XX XX XXXX. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond.

On XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, I was approached by a Revenue Protection Officer after failing to show that I had the correct train fare. I fully accept responsibility for this and understand that my actions were wrong. I now realise the broader impact fare evasion has on the rail industry, and I deeply regret what happened. The experience has been very distressing, and I am genuinely sorry.

This has been a wake-up call, and I can confidently say this won’t happen again. I am committed to always ensuring I have the correct ticket in future.

If possible, I would be very thankful for the opportunity to settle this matter without it progressing to court. I’m prepared to cover any penalty fare and administrative fees associated with the case.

Please accept my sincere apologies, and thank you for considering a resolution outside of legal proceedings.
Penultimate para.

Small but important point. Do not offer to pay a penalty fare as they are not going to give you that option now. Amend this sentence.

You need to offer ‘to pay any fare owed along with administrative fees…’
 

Pleasehelpandy

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
Croydon
OK, thank you for your replies I have made the suggested changes. I assume I don't have to bring up the other journeys in my reply? Also, after replying to the letter when I am expected to hear back from them?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,308
OK, thank you for your replies I have made the suggested changes. I assume I don't have to bring up the other journeys in my reply? Also, after replying to the letter when I am expected to hear back from them?
If they don’t ask about other travel then you don’t need to mention it now so long as you don’t specifically state or claim you only did it once you have not lied in your reply.

They might look into and get back to you about it but at this stage wait until or if they do before talking about it.

They often reply quite quickly from what we see but it might take longer eg a few weeks.
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
961
Location
Whitley Bay
OK, thank you for your replies I have made the suggested changes. I assume I don't have to bring up the other journeys in my reply? Also, after replying to the letter when I am expected to hear back from them?
I would have thought writing something like this on a forum could possibly cause further problems .. no doubt somebody working in the 'penalty department' of the train company, if they read it, would have no bother 'joining all the dots'
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,308
I would have thought writing something like this on a forum could possibly cause further problems .. no doubt somebody working in the 'penalty department' of the train company, if they read it, would have no bother 'joining all the dots'
This is a question pretty often asked I would say. Certainly often advised on even when not asked about iirc.

Given the protocols on sharing ticket buying info in the industry and the fact that it must be well known that statistical probability of catching a fare evader on first occasion is low it would surprise me that every person reported for investigation isn’t subject to a data check on their records. If they are not I can only assume it’s because the TOC has opted not to resource such checks.
From looking at the forum I assume it is standard procedure in some cases. West Midlands Trains come to mind. Maybe the cases like that which make it here are unrepresentative.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top