• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCreamCandy

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
lu5 1
Hi All,

Badly need your help on the notice I just received. I honestly thought I would receive a penalty fare but surprisingly, I received a notice. The issue was I genuinely did not realise that my railcard expired, and in April, my husband and I went to Gatwick Airport and an inspector identified that I had an expired railcard. Just confused about the details in the notice saying I did not produce a valid ticket? Does that specifically mean either railcard/ticket? Sharing the letter for your help.

"Subject: Response to Notice of Intention to Prosecute – 20 April 2025

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your notice regarding my journey on 20 April 2025, where I was found travelling without a valid ticket due to an expired railcard.


I purchased my ticket via the Trainline app at 09:51 BST on the same day, with a 26–30 Railcard applied. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that my railcard expired around xxx February 2025. I mistakenly believed I had renewed it in January when I logged into the Railcard app on my new phone after returning from the XXX.

Upon reviewing my transactions, I found that I had travelled to Elstree & Borehamwood during the period between the railcard’s expiry and 20 April. I acknowledge this was an oversight on my part and sincerely apologise.

I am a skilled worker striving to comply with UK regulations and respectfully request to settle this matter out of court. I am willing to pay any administrative costs and fare differences required.

Thank you for your understanding."
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9360.jpeg
    IMG_9360.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9361.jpeg
    IMG_9361.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9362.jpeg
    IMG_9362.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 37
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,563
Location
LBK
They haven't asked about anything other than the time you were stopped, so don't take this opportunity to incriminate yourself further. Take the precious journey details out of your reply.
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,410
As you had discounted the ticket for the journey, because you had applied the railcard discount, the ticket you held wasn't valid.

The good news is they are very likely to make you an out of court settlement.
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

I would also edit your postcode as it could be quite specific. You could just put the town you live in, for instance, to keep this anonymous for you.
 
Last edited:

IceCreamCandy

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2025
Messages
2
Location
lu5 1
They haven't asked about anything other than the time you were stopped, so don't take this opportunity to incriminate yourself further. Take the precious journey details out of your reply.
Thank you for your insights, however, the inspector said they will check my card if there are further transactions I made. I rarely get to the train, the more complex thing is that the card I use to purchase the ticket is also the same with the card my husband uses. If they checked the transactions, they'll definitely see 2 purchases but one pertains to my husband who has a valid railcard. :(

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi.

I would also edit your postcode as it could be quite specific. You would just put the town you live in, for instance, to keep this anonymous for you.
Done, thank you ☺️
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,563
Location
LBK
Thank you for your insights, however, the inspector said they will check my card if there are further transactions I made.
Then let them. They haven't done that yet. They might not. (They can't audit the card easily, but they may audit the Trainline ticket purchasing account instead)

Only answer questions you have been asked, for your own protection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top