• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to Prosecute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
To be fair, based on the OP’s interesting explanations, GTR are probably still trying to make sense of a colourful purchase history and buying habits.

Given that it is 3 weeks before the 6 month deadline to lay papers before the court I wondered if it would be in the OPs interests not to raise the issue with GTR as this could prompt them to respond and take action within the deadline. If the deadline is passed (allowing say 3 more weeks as a buffer for any action in progress) this would limit GTRs options in the action they could take.

This is correct. If OP plans to chase they should wait until the 6 months is up.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pari1048

Member
Joined
10 May 2025
Messages
16
Location
stevenage
To be fair, based on the OP’s interesting explanations, GTR are probably still trying to make sense of a colourful purchase history and buying habits.



This is correct. If OP plans to chase they should wait until the 6 months is up.
What do you mean, does this long wait imply that they are planning to escalate things to court?
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
What do you mean, does this long wait imply that they are planning to escalate things to court?
No, they only plan to escalate to court when they either don’t hear back from people or the response is grossly unsatisfactory. (Eg the person is not apologetic, or clearly lying, or actually goes on the attack and complains about the poor service, delays, cancellations, fares too high etc etc).
 

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
What do you mean, does this long wait imply that they are planning to escalate things to court?

John R has already answered but just to clarify, the opening paragraph of my post was referencing the contradictions in your story as well as your explanation of buying multiple tickets thinking your valid ticket was invalid.

One of the steps GTR would usually do is pull you entire ticketing history and if there are other suspect journeys they would potentially include those in any out of court settlement. This would probably be complex to work out based on your initial explanation on your buying (or not) habits.

The second paragraph relates to agreeing with Titfield’s post. Do not chase them until 6 months has passed from the incident. It’s not in your interests to do so and it’ll weaken their position as they will not be able to prosecute you for the incident in question. However, they could pursue you through the civil court to reclaim lost revenue. How likely that is would be a different question and probably dependent on the extent of your fare evasion.
 

Pari1048

Member
Joined
10 May 2025
Messages
16
Location
stevenage
So do you have a copy in a photo of your tracking receipt? If so have you used that to check your letter was delivered correctly by using the tracking number on the Royal Mail website?
If so when does it say it was delivered
I found my receipt and saw that it was delivered and received the day after I posted it. I still have yet to hear back.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,318
I found my receipt and saw that it was delivered and received the day after I posted it. I still have yet to hear back.
It does seem a bit unusual for you not to have had a reply since 13 May.

As others have mentioned before
- your case may have some complexities so they are investigating further (which does not necessarily mean they intend to prosecute you)
- there is an argument not to remind them until after the 6 months + 2 or 3 weeks from the incident date (I assume) in case they lose their ability to prosecute

I assume
- you have a secure letter box for post and you don't think your post goes missing?
- You have not moved address since 12 May?

- You can test the reliability of your post by sending yourself a test letter by normal second class post and see how long it takes to turn up at your home.

Your only other option is to write to remind them they have not replied - but for reasons above that may not be in your interests yet - but ultimately it's your choice

If you opt to do that you could just write with all your contact details (post and e-mail), include your case ref number, enclose a copy of what you sent before and simply say along the lines of:

Dear Sir / Madam

Ref:

I sent the enclosed response to you on xx May regarding the above case, but I have not heard since.

I would be grateful if you could give me an update on my case when you are able to do so.

I remain anxious to resolve the matter without the need for court action

Yours faithfully
 

Pari1048

Member
Joined
10 May 2025
Messages
16
Location
stevenage
It does seem a bit unusual for you not to have had a reply since 13 May.

As others have mentioned before
- your case may have some complexities so they are investigating further (which does not necessarily mean they intend to prosecute you)
- there is an argument not to remind them until after the 6 months + 2 or 3 weeks from the incident date (I assume) in case they lose their ability to prosecute

I assume
- you have a secure letter box for post and you don't think your post goes missing?
- You have not moved address since 12 May?

- You can test the reliability of your post by sending yourself a test letter by normal second class post and see how long it takes to turn up at your home.

Your only other option is to write to remind them they have not replied - but for reasons above that may not be in your interests yet - but ultimately it's your choice

If you opt to do that you could just write with all your contact details (post and e-mail), include your case ref number, enclose a copy of what you sent before and simply say along the lines of:

Dear Sir / Madam

Ref:

I sent the enclosed response to you on xx May regarding the above case, but I have not heard since.

I would be grateful if you could give me an update on my case when you are able to do so.

I remain anxious to resolve the matter without the need for court action

Yours faithfully
Thank you for the response.
I have really important finals right now and they end September 6th so I think I will write to them once it is all over around then since I can’t afford to think about anything else right now :,(
I just hope I don’t get a letter that I’m being prosecuted in my finals week, do you have to reply to those really quickly too?
I appreciate the help!!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thank you for the response.
I have really important finals right now and they end September 6th so I think I will write to them once it is all over around then since I can’t afford to think about anything else right now :,(
I just hope I don’t get a letter that I’m being prosecuted in my finals week, do you have to reply to those really quickly too?
I appreciate the help!!
Yes I haven’t moved address and I have a pretty secure letter box since I get all my letters I think. There isn't a chance they would send the letter to the post office is there? The post office i posted from is near my university but surely I would have received some follow up letters since it has been so long?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,318
Thank you for the response.
I have really important finals right now and they end September 6th so I think I will write to them once it is all over around then since I can’t afford to think about anything else right now :,(
I just hope I don’t get a letter that I’m being prosecuted in my finals week, do you have to reply to those really quickly too?
I appreciate the help!!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Yes I haven’t moved address and I have a pretty secure letter box since I get all my letters I think. There isn't a chance they would send the letter to the post office is there? The post office i posted from is near my university but surely I would have received some follow up letters since it has been so long?
You usually get 12 to 14 days from date on letter to reply

They would write to your address not send a letter for you to your local post office. Thats not usual practice in the uk to do that unless you specifically requested it. Test your post by posting yourself a letter if you wish.
 

Pari1048

Member
Joined
10 May 2025
Messages
16
Location
stevenage
You usually get 12 to 14 days from date on letter to reply

They would write to your address not send a letter for you to your local post office. Thats not usual practice in the uk to do that unless you specifically requested it. Test your post by posting yourself a letter if you wish.
I still have no response yet thus I am currently in the process of sending them a letter and an email. Should I attatch everything from the last letter in my email and letter?
Thank you so much you have been such a huge help!!
 

Spaceship323

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2020
Messages
623
Location
Nuneaton Trent Valley
Don't send them anything and don't remind them of the case - they may have forgotten you and it isn't in your interest to remind them. You have proof that your letter from last month has been received and that's all you need to prove you are co-operating with them,, just wait for their letter - it takes as long as it takes
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,318
Don't send them anything and don't remind them of the case - they may have forgotten you and it isn't in your interest to remind them. You have proof that your letter from last month has been received and that's all you need to prove you are co-operating with them,, just wait for their letter - it takes as long as it takes
I agree with this.
 

Pari1048

Member
Joined
10 May 2025
Messages
16
Location
stevenage
Don't send them anything and don't remind them of the case - they may have forgotten you and it isn't in your interest to remind them. You have proof that your letter from last month has been received and that's all you need to prove you are co-operating with them,, just wait for their letter - it takes as long as it takes
Thank you!! I will do this then. I guess I am just paranoid that their letter might have been lost but I have received many other letters and parcels addressed to me since then. Again thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top