superspare2023
New Member
Hi all,
I imagine you probably get these types of posts pretty often so apologies… I’m trying to find the best way to reach a decent outcome to a threat of prosecution:
I was travelling from Three Bridges to London Bridge without a ticket, planning to just buy one if I saw an inspector come on board. One did appear at East Croydon and so I quickly bought a ticket through trainline from East Croydon to London Bridge. Obviously I was found out since the inspector saw that I had already been on the train. I was made to confess and stupidly said I’d come from Gatwick Airport which is a tad closer (and therefore felt less aggravating). I’ve just received the standard letter from GTR asking me to explain my case.
The other thing is that this isn’t the first time I’ve short-ticketed (around 24 times in the past year. The main reason is that I’ve just graduated and moved back to Horsham (my home station is Littlehaven) whilst working as a freelancer in the music industry and trying to spend as little as possible, not the brightest way of saving I know). It was the last time though and I’ve obviously learnt my lesson and now am doing things completely legally. Nevertheless, the previous occasions will inevitably show on my purchase record.
All I want is not to get a criminal record as I regularly need to show organisations my enhanced DBS check. I don’t care if the fine is astronomical as long as I can put this behind me.
Here’s my draft reply, any feedback would be most welcome- I’m opting for full honesty but tell me if it’s too much/too self-incriminating/too cringey. Thank you all so much in advance for your help.
“Dear Sir/Madam,
I hope this letter finds you well and I would like to express my gratitude at being given the opportunity to respond to your previous correspondence.
I would like to apologise for the incident that happened on the 30th of December. With the barriers at Three Bridges being open due to disruption, I very foolishly thought that this would be a good opportunity to avoid paying the fare and get a cheap trip to London. When I was then stopped by a Revenue Protection officer at East Croydon, I unfortunately panicked and bought a ticket from East Croydon online instead of owning up and, when this was obviously found out by the inspector, lied about having come through the gates at Gatwick Airport instead. Aside from not having bought a ticket in the first place, it was completely irresponsible to not tell the truth and I’m deeply sorry that I chose that route.
I have since then reflected on how unfair and disrespectful my behaviour was that day. As you said in your letter, “it is only fair that everyone pays the right fare” and I have made sure to always have a valid ticket for my journeys since then.
I am very keen to settle this matter outside of court- a criminal record would be a disaster for me as someone whose job requires having a clean Enhanced DBS, although I understand that it is entirely within your right to proceed with prosecution. As well as repaying any damages I have inflicted on GTR plus administrative costs, I am very happy to provide you with any assistance you may need for your investigation.
Please accept my full apologies once again.
Kind regards,
XX”
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also, I'm planning on having a handwritten copy if this message + a typed up version in my reply. Thanks again.
I imagine you probably get these types of posts pretty often so apologies… I’m trying to find the best way to reach a decent outcome to a threat of prosecution:
I was travelling from Three Bridges to London Bridge without a ticket, planning to just buy one if I saw an inspector come on board. One did appear at East Croydon and so I quickly bought a ticket through trainline from East Croydon to London Bridge. Obviously I was found out since the inspector saw that I had already been on the train. I was made to confess and stupidly said I’d come from Gatwick Airport which is a tad closer (and therefore felt less aggravating). I’ve just received the standard letter from GTR asking me to explain my case.
The other thing is that this isn’t the first time I’ve short-ticketed (around 24 times in the past year. The main reason is that I’ve just graduated and moved back to Horsham (my home station is Littlehaven) whilst working as a freelancer in the music industry and trying to spend as little as possible, not the brightest way of saving I know). It was the last time though and I’ve obviously learnt my lesson and now am doing things completely legally. Nevertheless, the previous occasions will inevitably show on my purchase record.
All I want is not to get a criminal record as I regularly need to show organisations my enhanced DBS check. I don’t care if the fine is astronomical as long as I can put this behind me.
Here’s my draft reply, any feedback would be most welcome- I’m opting for full honesty but tell me if it’s too much/too self-incriminating/too cringey. Thank you all so much in advance for your help.
“Dear Sir/Madam,
I hope this letter finds you well and I would like to express my gratitude at being given the opportunity to respond to your previous correspondence.
I would like to apologise for the incident that happened on the 30th of December. With the barriers at Three Bridges being open due to disruption, I very foolishly thought that this would be a good opportunity to avoid paying the fare and get a cheap trip to London. When I was then stopped by a Revenue Protection officer at East Croydon, I unfortunately panicked and bought a ticket from East Croydon online instead of owning up and, when this was obviously found out by the inspector, lied about having come through the gates at Gatwick Airport instead. Aside from not having bought a ticket in the first place, it was completely irresponsible to not tell the truth and I’m deeply sorry that I chose that route.
I have since then reflected on how unfair and disrespectful my behaviour was that day. As you said in your letter, “it is only fair that everyone pays the right fare” and I have made sure to always have a valid ticket for my journeys since then.
I am very keen to settle this matter outside of court- a criminal record would be a disaster for me as someone whose job requires having a clean Enhanced DBS, although I understand that it is entirely within your right to proceed with prosecution. As well as repaying any damages I have inflicted on GTR plus administrative costs, I am very happy to provide you with any assistance you may need for your investigation.
Please accept my full apologies once again.
Kind regards,
XX”
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also, I'm planning on having a handwritten copy if this message + a typed up version in my reply. Thanks again.