XF_23
Member
Hi everyone,
I'd appreciate some advice on my situation, and quite frankly I am a bit worried about what could happen.
I received a 'Notice of Intention to Prosecute' (see attached photos). I am not really sure how I should now proceed. I really don't want this to go to court and also not receive the maximum fine or any other sentence.
Some details of what happened: I was approached on a train and was asked for my ticket (at the time I thought he was a regular train inspector and now I realise he was a Revenue Protection Inspector), I was about to arrive at London Bridge where I was due to get off. I didn't have a ticket. Just before he asked me though and before I saw him I was frantically looking in my backpack for something that I had lost and as I was due to get off I was trying to sort out my things quickly. So when he approached me and asked for my ticket I was a bit frantic and looking in my backpack already, if I remember correctly (this happened 2 months ago now) I told the inspector that I didn't have ticket and if I could buy one. He then asked where was I coming from, and I told him I was coming from a previous station - to which he proceded to ask me further questions and state that thats not possible because the barriers are not open etc. I was a bit nervous and to be honest I thought I could just buy one on the train which I've been able to do before. So then I told him that I was coming from X station and that I had purchased a ticket but had lost the ticket and I couldn't find it. He then proceeded to ask questions about it and asked if I had paid by card or cash - to which I said I paid by cash and to which he responded saying it'd be difficult for them to check if I was telling the truth as I paid by cash.
We then proceded to get of the station at London Bridge, and he asked said he needed to fill out some details (which I thought he was going to give me a fine on the spot) - I asked if I could just pay another ticket and he said he couldn't do that. So he filled out a witness statement receipt with my details and with a very brief sentence of what happened.
I've now received this letter. I am quite shocked as I thought I would just receive a fine, I had no idea what this witness statement would involved and that I'd receive an intention to prosecute. Now I will need to respond telling them my version of the story.
I'd appreciate some guidance with how much information I need to give and what should I write in the letter.
@Hadders - I've seen on a couple of other forums that you seem to know quite a lot about this topic. I'd really like to have this settled out of court and pay a fine and/ or the ticket fare. I have a few questions, on other forums I saw some people mention that GTR are able to access your previous purchase tickets - is this true, is this legal and how exactly is this done? Do they have access to our accounts where we purchase the tickets?
This also freaks me out about. Do they have access to CCTV cameras also? - Once the inspector finished filling out the witness statement he handed it over and explained that I would just need to present this at the gate, explain and they'll be able to let me through. But to be honest I just wanted to leave quickly and not have to deal with this anymore (and I was already running late for work) so instead I used an e-ticket from clapham to london bridge to exit the barriers without having to speak to anyone. I'm worried that they'll now be able to see this via CCTV (?) and question why I did this. Also the original train station where I boarded was not X station, but I boarded my second train from X station as I had to change trains. I'm not sure if this will also be affected.
I'm not sure how I should proceed with providing my version of events, if I disclose everything or if I continue with the version that I gave the inspector: that i lost my ticket, paid in cash and was coming from X station to London Bridge (this in part was not exactly a lie - at the time I didn't go into details about switching trains for a connection).
I understand it was silly to lie. I feel quite ridiculous about all this and worried. I was honestly in a bit of a panic and rush that day and wasn't able to get a ticket from a machine prior to boarding and normally on the trains I haven't had issues buying onboard before. I'd appreciate any help from any of you.
Thank you very much!
I'd appreciate some advice on my situation, and quite frankly I am a bit worried about what could happen.
I received a 'Notice of Intention to Prosecute' (see attached photos). I am not really sure how I should now proceed. I really don't want this to go to court and also not receive the maximum fine or any other sentence.
Some details of what happened: I was approached on a train and was asked for my ticket (at the time I thought he was a regular train inspector and now I realise he was a Revenue Protection Inspector), I was about to arrive at London Bridge where I was due to get off. I didn't have a ticket. Just before he asked me though and before I saw him I was frantically looking in my backpack for something that I had lost and as I was due to get off I was trying to sort out my things quickly. So when he approached me and asked for my ticket I was a bit frantic and looking in my backpack already, if I remember correctly (this happened 2 months ago now) I told the inspector that I didn't have ticket and if I could buy one. He then asked where was I coming from, and I told him I was coming from a previous station - to which he proceded to ask me further questions and state that thats not possible because the barriers are not open etc. I was a bit nervous and to be honest I thought I could just buy one on the train which I've been able to do before. So then I told him that I was coming from X station and that I had purchased a ticket but had lost the ticket and I couldn't find it. He then proceeded to ask questions about it and asked if I had paid by card or cash - to which I said I paid by cash and to which he responded saying it'd be difficult for them to check if I was telling the truth as I paid by cash.
We then proceded to get of the station at London Bridge, and he asked said he needed to fill out some details (which I thought he was going to give me a fine on the spot) - I asked if I could just pay another ticket and he said he couldn't do that. So he filled out a witness statement receipt with my details and with a very brief sentence of what happened.
I've now received this letter. I am quite shocked as I thought I would just receive a fine, I had no idea what this witness statement would involved and that I'd receive an intention to prosecute. Now I will need to respond telling them my version of the story.
I'd appreciate some guidance with how much information I need to give and what should I write in the letter.
@Hadders - I've seen on a couple of other forums that you seem to know quite a lot about this topic. I'd really like to have this settled out of court and pay a fine and/ or the ticket fare. I have a few questions, on other forums I saw some people mention that GTR are able to access your previous purchase tickets - is this true, is this legal and how exactly is this done? Do they have access to our accounts where we purchase the tickets?
This also freaks me out about. Do they have access to CCTV cameras also? - Once the inspector finished filling out the witness statement he handed it over and explained that I would just need to present this at the gate, explain and they'll be able to let me through. But to be honest I just wanted to leave quickly and not have to deal with this anymore (and I was already running late for work) so instead I used an e-ticket from clapham to london bridge to exit the barriers without having to speak to anyone. I'm worried that they'll now be able to see this via CCTV (?) and question why I did this. Also the original train station where I boarded was not X station, but I boarded my second train from X station as I had to change trains. I'm not sure if this will also be affected.
I'm not sure how I should proceed with providing my version of events, if I disclose everything or if I continue with the version that I gave the inspector: that i lost my ticket, paid in cash and was coming from X station to London Bridge (this in part was not exactly a lie - at the time I didn't go into details about switching trains for a connection).
I understand it was silly to lie. I feel quite ridiculous about all this and worried. I was honestly in a bit of a panic and rush that day and wasn't able to get a ticket from a machine prior to boarding and normally on the trains I haven't had issues buying onboard before. I'd appreciate any help from any of you.
Thank you very much!
Attachments
Last edited: