• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of intention to prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I sent the letter to attempt to settle out of court but I received a response this morning along the lines of;

"Having considered the points you have raised I am writing to inform you this department will be going forward with the case. A summons to attend magistrates court will be sent to you in due course."

As people have mentioned, is this going to most likely be regarding the byelaws and if so does this appear as a DBS/CRB conviction?


Thank you for all of your help.

Until you see the summons, it is difficult to say.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
If it's byelaws then it usually isn't a recordable offence if it's Regulations of Railways Act then it is recordable offence and therefore would show up on a DBS check.

It should become clear which you are faced with once the summons arrives.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
As people have mentioned, is this going to most likely be regarding the byelaws and if so does this appear as a DBS/CRB conviction?
By reading the allegation on the letter you quoted in your frst post, it is an offence under Section 5.3 of the Regulation of Railways Act (RoRA). Unfortunately, if that prosecution is successful, then it does lead to an entry in the Police National Computer (PNC) which can appear on relevant DBS checks.

From the additional information that you have provided (and if there is no additional information which is relevant), it seems to me as if it might be more appropriate for the Company to prosecute an Offence under the Railway Byelaws, which does not lead to an entry in the PNC. But that is very much their decision and will be made by reference to the information which they have on the incident. It would certainly be difficult for you to contest either of those allegations.
It should become clear which you are faced with once the summons arrives.
I agree that it will become clear at that point. You might consider it worth instructing a solicitor to represent you if it is a RoRA Offence.
 
Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
By reading the allegation on the letter you quoted in your frst post, it is an offence under Section 5.3 of the Regulation of Railways Act (RoRA).
Am I reading things wrong? The reason I ask is because
• Entering a train for the purpose of traveling without a ticket entitling travel.
sounds much more like the wording of Byelaw 18.1 than it does Section 5.3 of the RoRA.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Yes, you're quite right, it is very close to the wording of the Byelaw 18 offence. I apologise for replying without taking proper care. While there is the possibility that the more serious Offence could be argued due to the "intent" implied by choosing to travel while being unable to pay the fare, it does look as if the Company will be considering the Byelaw Offence which does not lead to an entry in the PNC.
I apologise for my carelessness.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
Not a problem at all - I was just checking that I had understood correctly. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top