• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention to Prosecute - Needed Help, Please

Totara

New Member
Joined
13 Jun 2026
Messages
2
Location
Bedfordshire
I received a letter of notice of intention from GTR, which frightens me as I do not want a criminal record over a genuine mistake. The offence as stated in the letter: On 27th March, at St Albans station, your details were recorded by a member of our revenue protection team near St Albans city railway station and you were spoken to regarding the following alleged offences, that you, on the said date, in any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, entered a train for the purpose of traveling on the railway, did not carry a valid ticket entitling travel.


I boarded a train from Luton to London St. Pancras after purchasing my ticket through the Trainline app. During a ticket inspection near St Albans, the officer requested my Railcard, and I realised that I had left my railcard at home. Although I was aware that it was nearing expiration, I mistakenly believed it was still valid. I am not a frequent train traveler, so I wasn't too sure of the railcard expiration date. Before this incident, my last train trip was in late January.

This was an unplanned and impromptu journey because I needed to visit a sister who was receiving cardiac treatment in the hospital. In previous instances, when I purchased tickets, I had used a Network Railcard, and thus the Railcard discount option continued to appear while buying tickets. This led me to incorrectly assume that my Railcard was still valid.

When questioned about it, I explained that I indeed had a physical Network Railcard but had left it in a bag that I hadn’t brought with me that day. Although I knew it was approaching expiration, I genuinely believed that it was still valid.

Upon returning home, I discovered that my Railcard had actually expired about a month ago. I immediately submitted a scanned copy of the expired Railcard via the provided link, and I purchased a new Railcard on the same day.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SECR 65

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2026
Messages
719
Location
East Sussex
Welcome to the forum,

Cases like this are incredibly common, and GTR are almost always happy to settle out of court provided you cooperate with them. You are unlikely to be prosecuted; you will probably be offered to pay the anytime single fare for your journey plus an admin fee, hopfully £150 or less.

In your letter, you need to:
  • Appologise for not having a valid ticket, explain it was a genuine mistake, and express regret
  • Show you understand the importance of having a valid ticket and that you will always be sure to in future
  • Explain that you hope to settle the matter without the need for court action, and say you are happy to pay the outstanding fare plus any admin fees incurred by GTR

See countless other threads with letter drafts, found by searching 'GTR Notice of Intention to Prosecute'

Post your draft response on the forum and members can proofread and make suggestions.

Let us know if you have any further questions and someone will be able to help. Sorry if I've missed anything from your post - I'm in a rush. Hopefully others can pick any bits up or I can tomorrow.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,133
Location
Wilmslow
The advice above is fine.

The original poster should search the forum for background and further details.

GTR will settle if they’re not ignored and there will be no prosecution or criminal record. Just take more care in future.

Don’t make excuses. Although I’m sorry to hear about your sister, it won’t affect your case, just acknowledge your mistake and that you’re now aware of your error.
 
Last edited:

Totara

New Member
Joined
13 Jun 2026
Messages
2
Location
Bedfordshire
Welcome to the forum,

Cases like this are incredibly common, and GTR are almost always happy to settle out of court provided you cooperate with them. You are unlikely to be prosecuted; you will probably be offered to pay the anytime single fare for your journey plus an admin fee, hopfully £150 or less.

In your letter, you need to:
  • Appologise for not having a valid ticket, explain it was a genuine mistake, and express regret
  • Show you understand the importance of having a valid ticket and that you will always be sure to in future
  • Explain that you hope to settle the matter without the need for court action, and say you are happy to pay the outstanding fare plus any admin fees incurred by GTR

See countless other threads with letter drafts, found by searching 'GTR Notice of Intention to Prosecute'

Post your draft response on the forum and members can proofread and make suggestions.

Let us know if you have any further questions and someone will be able to help. Sorry if I've missed anything from your post - I'm in a rush. Hopefully others can pick any bits up or I can tomorrow.
Thank you! I will place the draft here for any potential corrections.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please see my draft below. I would appreciate any corrections you might have.

Draft:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute regarding the incident on 27 March 2026.

I would like to sincerely apologise for travelling with a ticket that was not valid due to my Network Railcard having expired. This was a genuine mistake on my part, and I deeply regret the error. I fully understand the importance of ensuring that any Railcard used to obtain a discounted fare is valid at the time of travel.

On that date, I made an unplanned journey to London to visit a sister who was receiving Cardiac treatment in the hospital. I purchased my ticket before travelling using the Trainline app and mistakenly believed that my Network Railcard was still valid. Although I knew it was due to expire around that period, I did not realise that the expiry date had already passed.

When approached by the Revenue Protection Inspector, I explained that I held a physical Network Railcard but had left it in the bag that I had not taken with me that day. At the time, I genuinely believed that the Railcard remained valid. After returning home, I checked the Railcard and realised that it had expired on 23 February 2026, approximately one month before the date of travel. As soon as I became aware of this, I immediately purchased a new Network Railcard and submitted a copy of the expired Railcard through the link provided by the Inspector.

I am not a frequent rail traveller, and my Trainline records show that my previous rail journey was on 23 January 2026. I have enclosed copies of my expired Network Railcard, my renewed Network Railcard, and relevant ticket records in support of my explanation.

I fully accept responsibility for this mistake. There was absolutely no intention whatsoever to avoid paying the correct fare. I have learned a valuable lesson from this incident. I will ensure that I carefully check the validity of any Railcard before purchasing or travelling with discounted tickets in the future.

I respectfully ask that you consider resolving this matter without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle the matter administratively, and I am more than willing to pay any outstanding fare together with any reasonable administrative costs incurred by Govia Thameslink Railway.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my explanation. I sincerely apologise once again for my mistake and hope you will take my circumstances into account when reviewing this matter.

Yours faithfully,
XXX
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
Thank you! I will place the draft here for any potential corrections.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please see my draft below. I would appreciate any corrections you might have.

Draft:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute regarding the incident on 27 March 2026.

I would like to sincerely apologise for travelling with a ticket that was not valid due to my Network Railcard having expired. This was a genuine mistake on my part, and I deeply regret the error. I fully understand the importance of ensuring that any Railcard used to obtain a discounted fare is valid at the time of travel.

On that date, I made an unplanned journey to London to visit a sister who was receiving Cardiac treatment in the hospital. I purchased my ticket before travelling using the Trainline app and mistakenly believed that my Network Railcard was still valid. Although I knew it was due to expire around that period, I did not realise that the expiry date had already passed.

When approached by the Revenue Protection Inspector, I explained that I held a physical Network Railcard but had left it in the bag that I had not taken with me that day. At the time, I genuinely believed that the Railcard remained valid. After returning home, I checked the Railcard and realised that it had expired on 23 February 2026, approximately one month before the date of travel. As soon as I became aware of this, I immediately purchased a new Network Railcard and submitted a copy of the expired Railcard through the link provided by the Inspector.

I am not a frequent rail traveller, and my Trainline records show that my previous rail journey was on 23 January 2026. I have enclosed copies of my expired Network Railcard, my renewed Network Railcard, and relevant ticket records in support of my explanation.

I fully accept responsibility for this mistake. There was absolutely no intention whatsoever to avoid paying the correct fare. I have learned a valuable lesson from this incident. I will ensure that I carefully check the validity of any Railcard before purchasing or travelling with discounted tickets in the future.

I respectfully ask that you consider resolving this matter without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle the matter administratively, and I am more than willing to pay any outstanding fare together with any reasonable administrative costs incurred by Govia Thameslink Railway.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my explanation. I sincerely apologise once again for my mistake and hope you will take my circumstances into account when reviewing this matter.

Yours faithfully,
XXX
Make the request for the settlement instead of court action as close to the end as possible.
Always good if it’s the last thing they read as that’s your key ‘ask’ of them.

If you can make it slightly shorter that’s no harm either.

Include thier case ref number clearly at the top too.
 

SECR 65

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2026
Messages
719
Location
East Sussex
Thank you! I will place the draft here for any potential corrections.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please see my draft below. I would appreciate any corrections you might have.
Looks generally good. I suspect you have made some changes since @WesternLancer 's helpful comments. I will dip in a few things and do this by using bold and strikethrough on your original text.
Draft:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in response to your Notice of Intention to Prosecute regarding the incident on 27 March 2026.

I would like to sincerely apologise for travelling with a ticket that was not valid due to my Network Railcard having expired. This was a genuine mistake on my part, and I deeply regret the error. I fully understand the importance of ensuring that any Railcard used to obtain a discounted fare is valid at the time of travel.

On that date, I made an unplanned journey to London to visit a sister who was receiving Cardiac treatment in the hospital. I purchased my ticket before travelling using the Trainline app and mistakenly believed that my Network Railcard was still valid. Although I knew it was due to expire around that period, I did not realise that the expiry date had already passed.

When approached by the Revenue Protection Inspector, I explained that I held a physical Network Railcard but had left it in the bag that I had not taken with me that day accidentally left it at home. At the time, I genuinely believed that the Railcard remained valid. After returning home, I checked the Railcard and realised that it had expired on 23 February 2026, approximately one month before the date of travel. As soon as I became aware of this, I immediately purchased a new Network Railcard and submitted a copy of the expired Railcard through the link provided by the Inspector.

I am not a frequent rail traveller, and my Trainline records show that my previous rail journey was on 23 January 2026. I have enclosed copies of my expired Network Railcard, my renewed Network Railcard, and relevant ticket records in support of my explanation.

I fully accept responsibility for this mistake. There was absolutely no intention whatsoever to avoid paying the correct fare. I have learned a valuable lesson from this incident. I will ensure that I carefully check the validity of any Railcard before purchasing or travelling with discounted tickets in the future.

I respectfully ask that you consider resolving this matter without court proceedings. I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to settle the matter administratively, and I am more than willing to pay any outstanding fare together with any reasonable administrative costs incurred by Govia Thameslink Railway.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my explanation. I sincerely apologise once again for my mistake and hope you will take my circumstances into account when reviewing this matter.

Yours faithfully,
XXX
Obviously the exact wording is your choice, but I feel it could be somewhat shorter, as I have suggested above, and also by @WesternLancer . Length is not a disaster, but they don't really care about the exact circumstances. The person reading this will want to know you understand what happened, are sorry, and happy to pay. As much as I hope your sister is OK, sadly I do not feel that GTR will really be interested. If you'd like to include the bits I've crossed out, then go for it.
 

Top