Hi all,
I've received the attached notice of intention to prosecute from Govia Thameslink Railway and I would be really grateful for any advice / if my draft reply (bottom of post) could be looked over. For context:
- I was travelling from Finsbury Park to Welwyn Garden City (WGC).
- I purchased a ticket for the full journey using my valid railcard via the Trainline app only once I saw the ticket inspector approaching which was halfway through the journey (I believe this is known as 'paying when challenged').
- When the inspector scanned my ticket the machine must have recognised that it had only recently been purchased.
- I was cautioned and the inspector took my details saying that GTR would write to me. I was polite throughout the interaction.
- In my statement when I was asked if I had a valid ticket, I said "I think so" as at the time I was thinking that as long as I had a ticket for my full journey it didn't matter when it was purchased.
I realise not buying a ticket before travelling was wrong but I'd like to reach an out of court settlement if possible. Please let me know what you think I should add/redact from the below, thanks in advance!
///
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your letter dated X.
On X at X I was rightly stopped by a Revenue Protection Inspector at X Station and was unable to produce a valid ticket entitling travel for my journey from Finsbury Park to Welwyn Garden City.
I did produce a ticket for my journey; however, this was not a valid ticket entitling travel as it was only purchased when I saw the Revenue Protection Inspector.
I apologise for my actions and I make no excuse for them. I made an unethical decision in not purchasing a ticket before boarding the train and I understand the severity of my actions. I am ashamed of the choice I made and accept full responsibility. I greatly appreciate travelling on the railway and see this as a valuable lesson. In the future I will ensure that I purchase a valid ticket entitling travel before boarding a train.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to settle my misconduct outside of court. I am willing to pay any fees you deem appropriate and for any administrative costs which I have created.
Once again, I apologise for my actions and the inconvenience caused. I greatly appreciate your understanding and consideration.
Yours sincerely,
I've received the attached notice of intention to prosecute from Govia Thameslink Railway and I would be really grateful for any advice / if my draft reply (bottom of post) could be looked over. For context:
- I was travelling from Finsbury Park to Welwyn Garden City (WGC).
- I purchased a ticket for the full journey using my valid railcard via the Trainline app only once I saw the ticket inspector approaching which was halfway through the journey (I believe this is known as 'paying when challenged').
- When the inspector scanned my ticket the machine must have recognised that it had only recently been purchased.
- I was cautioned and the inspector took my details saying that GTR would write to me. I was polite throughout the interaction.
- In my statement when I was asked if I had a valid ticket, I said "I think so" as at the time I was thinking that as long as I had a ticket for my full journey it didn't matter when it was purchased.
I realise not buying a ticket before travelling was wrong but I'd like to reach an out of court settlement if possible. Please let me know what you think I should add/redact from the below, thanks in advance!
///
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your letter dated X.
On X at X I was rightly stopped by a Revenue Protection Inspector at X Station and was unable to produce a valid ticket entitling travel for my journey from Finsbury Park to Welwyn Garden City.
I did produce a ticket for my journey; however, this was not a valid ticket entitling travel as it was only purchased when I saw the Revenue Protection Inspector.
I apologise for my actions and I make no excuse for them. I made an unethical decision in not purchasing a ticket before boarding the train and I understand the severity of my actions. I am ashamed of the choice I made and accept full responsibility. I greatly appreciate travelling on the railway and see this as a valuable lesson. In the future I will ensure that I purchase a valid ticket entitling travel before boarding a train.
I would be grateful for the opportunity to settle my misconduct outside of court. I am willing to pay any fees you deem appropriate and for any administrative costs which I have created.
Once again, I apologise for my actions and the inconvenience caused. I greatly appreciate your understanding and consideration.
Yours sincerely,
