• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intention Prosecute from Govia Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyRider24

New Member
Joined
18 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Hello all,

I just received a notice of intention to prosecute letter that I was expecting from back in December (attached). I was wondering if I can get some help with the response letter I drafted and some indication of what to expect here, as this has never happened to me before. Here's the story:

I was heading to Luton airport from London St. Pancras and on a ticket I bought on the trainline app. I was approached by a revenue protection officer on the train to the airport who asked for my ticket, I of course produced the barcode on my phone. I was then surprised when he requested a railcard as I haven't had one in months and I do not remember using one.

Then I realised my blunder: In my rush, I forgot that I had my partner's rail card added when searching for tickets. I usually buy both our tickets, so I'm fairly diligent with removing/adding the "1x railcard" when searching for tickets when travelling together, but this time I messed up.

I told the officer I didn't have a rail card and I accidentally had the option selected on trainline, when buying my ticket. I mentioned I was happy to pay the full fine or any penalty because of this mistake. He was however very adamant to take a statement and mentioned I'd be getting a letter in the mail.

I've drafted the following letter in response to explain the accident, and request an out-of-court settlement.

------------------------

Dear Prosecution Manager,

Please find read below my statement, regarding case reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 19/12/2024, I travelled from London St. Pancras to Luton airport parkway. While travelling on the train I was approached by a revenue protection officer who requested to see my ticket, I showed my electronic ticket on my phone.

To my surprise, the ticket was shown to be purchased under railcard discount even though I did not have one. I quickly checked my phone and realised my partner’s rail card was accidentally added to the transaction. Since I often buy her tickets, I usually have the rail card option enabled when buying both our tickets on the trainline app.

The officer questioned the absence of my rail card, where I explained that I accidentally had the rail card option selected when I bought the ticket even though I didn’t have one.

I accept full responsibility for my errors, I was running late to a flight, and I was rushing through the tube station and didn’t pay attention to the options while purchasing a ticket on my phone. I deeply regret my blunder; it was an honest mistake. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened, and I have been travelling on UK trains since 2010 without incident.

I have since removed the option from my application and my partner will use her own trainline application, so I do not make the same mistake again.

I hope that this matter can be resolved between us without any court action, and therefore I ask that you would consider an out-of-court settlement.

Thank you for reading my statement


Yours faithfully,

----------------------------
 

Attachments

  • Letter 2.jpg
    Letter 2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Letter 1.jpg
    Letter 1.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 48
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I think it might be worth putting an apology into your letter, which is the normal advice here. It's worth doing if you want to persuade GTR not to take this to court.
 

EasyRider24

New Member
Joined
18 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Something like:

Dear Prosecution Manager,

Please find read below my statement, regarding case reference: XXXXXXXXXXX

On 19/12/2024, I travelled from London St. Pancras to Luton airport parkway. While travelling on the train I was approached by a revenue protection officer who requested to see my ticket, I showed my electronic ticket on my phone.

To my surprise the ticket was shown to be purchased under railcard discount even though I did not have one. I quickly checked my phone and realised my partner’s rail card was accidentally added to the transaction. Since I often buy her tickets, I usually have the rail card option enabled when buying both our tickets on the trainline app.

The officer questioned the absence of my rail card, where I explained that I accidentally had the rail card option selected when I bought the ticket even though I didn’t have one.

I accept full responsibility for my errors, I was running late to a flight, and I was rushing through the tube station and didn’t pay attention to the options while purchasing a ticket on my phone. I deeply regret my blunder; it was an honest mistake. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened and I have been travelling on UK trains since 2010 without incident.

I have since removed the option from my application and my partner will use her own trainline application so I do not make the same mistake again.

I hope that this matter can be resolved between us without any court action and therefore I ask that you would consider an out-of-court settlement.

I’d like to sincerely apologise for my mistake and any inconvenience caused to the staff of Govia Thameslink Railway. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.


Yours faithfully,

[Edited to add full letter]

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Just giving this a little bump; if anyone has any further advice, that'd be fantastic. Planning on sending the letter in the mail today.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
That looks good enough to me.

para 3 of the statement ("the officer....") is superfluous if you want to cut anything, as is the last sentence of para 4, but that's being picky :)

You could perhaps acknowledge that fare evasion costs the taxpayer and the railway vast amounts annually .

And the good news - GTR will almost certainly offer a not too expensive settlement.
 

EasyRider24

New Member
Joined
18 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Thank you so much guys for help, this community is awesome! (regardless of the outcome)

How about this final version:

Please find read below my statement, regarding case reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 19/12/2024, I travelled from London St. Pancras to Luton airport parkway. While travelling on the train I was approached by a revenue protection officer who requested to see my ticket, I showed my electronic ticket on my phone.

To my surprise the ticket was shown to be purchased under railcard discount even though I did not have one. I quickly checked my phone and realised my partner’s rail card was accidentally added to the transaction. Since I often buy her tickets, I usually have the rail card option enabled when buying both our tickets on the trainline app.

I accept full responsibility for my errors, I was running late to a flight, and I was rushing through the tube station and didn’t pay attention to the options while purchasing a ticket on my phone. I deeply regret my blunder; it was an honest mistake.

I have since removed the option from my application and my partner will use her own trainline application so I do not make the same mistake again.

I hope that this matter can be resolved between us without any court action and therefore I ask that you would consider an out-of-court settlement.

I am aware that fare evasion costs the taxpayer and the railway vast amounts every year. I’d like to sincerely apologise for my mistake and any inconvenience caused to the staff of Govia Thameslink Railway.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
You need to start the letter Dear Mr/Ms X or Dear Sir or Madam. For the first, finish with Yours sincerely and the second one Yours faithfully.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,359
Thank you so much guys for help, this community is awesome! (regardless of the outcome)

How about this final version:

Please find read below my statement, regarding case reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 19/12/2024, I travelled from London St. Pancras to Luton airport parkway. While travelling on the train I was approached by a revenue protection officer who requested to see my ticket, I showed my electronic ticket on my phone.

To my surprise the ticket was shown to be purchased under railcard discount even though I did not have one. I quickly checked my phone and realised my partner’s rail card was accidentally added to the transaction. Since I often buy her tickets, I usually have the rail card option enabled when buying both our tickets on the trainline app.

I accept full responsibility for my errors, I was running late to a flight, and I was rushing through the tube station and didn’t pay attention to the options while purchasing a ticket on my phone. I deeply regret my blunder; it was an honest mistake.

I have since removed the option from my application and my partner will use her own trainline application so I do not make the same mistake again.

I hope that this matter can be resolved between us without any court action and therefore I ask that you would consider an out-of-court settlement.

I am aware that fare evasion costs the taxpayer and the railway vast amounts every year. I’d like to sincerely apologise for my mistake and any inconvenience caused to the staff of Govia Thameslink Railway.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.
move this sentence to the end perhaps:

I hope that this matter can be resolved between us without any court action and therefore I ask that you would consider an out-of-court settlement.
and maybe a bit more of the pleading without going too over the top - eg 'I would be most grateful if you could kindly consider if this matter can be....

I tend to think you want the last thing the reader will read to be the thing you are asking them to do (general rule of thumb for any letter / e-mail perhaps)
 

EasyRider24

New Member
Joined
18 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
London
Just coming back to say that they offered 73GBP to settle it out of court. Needless to say I took it and glad the matter is resolved.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,655
Location
LBK
Thanks for the update, it’s always helpful to know the outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top