• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of Intended Prosecution - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vijay2025

New Member
Joined
9 May 2025
Messages
3
Location
Haddenham
Hi there, I was hoping for some advice as this Forum and its members seem very helpful!

I received a letter from Chiltern Railway's Economic Crime, Fraud & Prosecution Unit today (09/05/2025) and dated 02/05/2025. I had failed to show a valid rail ticket for a journey from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone on 19/03/2025 and spoke to a railway revenue protection staff at the ticket barriers. This was a genuine error - I had purchased a return ticket for the journey, via the Trainline app, but the dates I booked were for 24/03/2025 not the date for my travel (I had been looking at the 24th the night before, and hadn't updated the dates when booking in the morning rush to work). On speaking with the railway staff I was let through and bought a new ticket, via the app, for my journey back that evening. Looking back at my purchasing history, I later bought return tickets again for 24/03/25 when travelling from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone (when I could have just used the previous tickets I bought in error - which hopefully shows the honesty of my error; though I'm not sure Chiltern Railways would be persuaded by that!)

The letter received today on the notice of intended prosecution mentions the Economic Crime, Fraud, & Prosecutions Unit having investigated my ticket purchasing history which revealed that I "may have avoided the correct rail fare on other occasions". I can confidently say I have always bought a rail ticket for all my travels, and not knowingly paid for the wrong date (apart from the above instance), so I was a bit confused. The letter does say: "If you have a valid railcard but were unable to produce it to the rail official on the day in question, please email a copy of any railcards you hold or previously held for us to review" - I'm not sure if that is standard text for these letters, or refers to the specific issue here being about the use of a railcard. Looking back through my purchase history, I've noticed one instance in 2024 where there was a 2 week gap in me having a valid Network Railcard (11/02/2024 - 27/02/2024), and where one of train journeys (12/02/2024) should have had a valid Network Railcard. Again this was a genuine oversight, and I renewed my Network Railcard soon after it expired. I appreciate, however, that intention isn't a mitigating factor for this.

I've contacted a couple of solicitors, as the letter advises, but the costs would be £1,000+ which feels excessive to the issue at hand.

I suppose my questions would be: Is it worth using a Solicitor in this case, at this stage? I know they would be able to quickly resolve it.
If not, I would email the Fraud team at Chiltern Railways to explain the above, express my genuine apologies, and of course agree to pay the difference owed for travel on 12/02/2024.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks.

IMG_4753 (1).jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
Assuming that Chiltern offer you an out of court settlement You are looking at the full anytime single for each journey where you did not have a valid railcard plus and admin fee of C£150-£200.

I am sure you can do the maths and appreciate the additional cost of employing a solicitor though they may be able to get an out of court settlement agreed more quickly.

The forum generally does not recommend employing a solicitor unless matters are very complex or the response from the passenger is rebuffed.
 

Vijay2025

New Member
Joined
9 May 2025
Messages
3
Location
Haddenham
Assuming that Chiltern offer you an out of court settlement You are looking at the full anytime single for each journey where you did not have a valid railcard plus and admin fee of C£150-£200.

I am sure you can do the maths and appreciate the additional cost of employing a solicitor though they may be able to get an out of court settlement agreed more quickly.

The forum generally does not recommend employing a solicitor unless matters are very complex or the response from the passenger is rebuffed.
That's really helpful. Thank you for the speedy reply.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've drafted a reply - any review and reflections, if possible, would be warmly appreciated.

----

Dear Asif,

Thank you for your letter of 2nd May 2025 on Chiltern Railway's Notice of Intended Prosecution.

I am very sorry for not having a valid rail ticket for the journey made on 19/03/2025 from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone. This was my error and I had incorrectly purchased a return rail ticket, via the Trainline app, for the wrong date (24/03/2025).

On my return to Haddenham & Thame Parkway from London Marylebone later that evening I purchased a rail ticket for the correct date of 19/03/2025 (attached rail ticket). On my next trip from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone on 24/03/2025 I then purchased a new return ticket for this journey (attached rail ticket).

Your letter gave me reason to review my rail ticket purchase history, and I can see that I had a gap in my having a valid Network Railcard from 11/02/2024 to 29/02/2024 where I made a return train journey on 12/02/2024 from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone, which was purchased with a Network Railcard discount (an Adult Off-Peak Day Return [Network Railcard] for £20.45). This was a genuine error and I am sorry for my oversight; I renewed my Network Railcard for my next train trip where I used the Network Railcard discount on 29/02/2024 (attached rail ticket). As requested, I am also attaching the copies of all railcards I hold or have previously held.

I am very keen to settle this matter without the need for court action, and would be very happy to pay the cost of two anytime full single tickets for the train journeys on 12/02/2024 (Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone; London Marylebone to Haddenham & Thame Parkway), the cost of a full single ticket for the journey on 19/03/2025 (Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone), and Chiltern Railways' administrative costs in dealing with the matter.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the genuine errors made, and I hope to resolve these as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Hi and welcome. Some suggestions about simplifying the letter, to maoe it easy for the person reading it. Hope they help.

Dear Mr Ismail,
(It's a formal letter)
Thank you for your letter of 2nd May 2025 on Chiltern Railway's Notice of Intended Prosecution. (Reference .......)

I am very sorry for not having a valid rail ticket for the journey made on 19/03/2025 from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone. This was my error and I had incorrectly purchased a return rail ticket, via the Trainline app, for the wrong date (24/03/2025).

On my return to Haddenham & Thame Parkway from London Marylebone later that evening I purchased a rail ticket for the correct date of 19/03/2025 (attached rail ticket). On my next trip from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone on 24/03/2025 I then purchased a new return ticket for this journey (attached rail ticket).
(Not really relevant)
Your letter gave me reason to review my rail ticket purchase history, and I can see that I had a gap in my having a valid Network Railcard from 11/02/2024 to 29/02/2024 where I made a return train journey on 12/02/2024 from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone, which was purchased with a Network Railcard discount (an Adult Off-Peak Day Return [Network Railcard] for £20.45). This was a genuine error and I am sorry for my oversight; I renewed my Network Railcard for my next train trip where I used the Network Railcard discount on 29/02/2024 (attached rail ticket). As requested, I am also attaching the copies of all railcards I hold or have previously held.

I am very keen would be very grateful for the opportunity to settle this matter without the need for court action, and would be very happy to pay the cost of the fares two anytime full single tickets for the train journeys on 12/02/2024 (Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone; London Marylebone to Haddenham & Thame Parkway), the cost of a full single ticket for the journey on 19/03/2025 (Haddenham & Thame Parkway to London Marylebone), and Chiltern Railways' administrative costs in dealing with the matter.
(I wouldn't tell them what they should charge you for - makes you look too much of an expert :) - and you never know, they might settle for less!)
 

Vijay2025

New Member
Joined
9 May 2025
Messages
3
Location
Haddenham
Hi and welcome. Some suggestions about simplifying the letter, to maoe it easy for the person reading it. Hope they help.


(It's a formal letter)

(Not really relevant)

(I wouldn't tell them what they should charge you for - makes you look too much of an expert :) - and you never know, they might settle for less!)
Really helpful, thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top