• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nothern complimentary ticket - Cumbrian Coast and Settle-Carlisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxfordray1

Member
Joined
6 Feb 2019
Messages
85
Good evening,

I've searched the forum but haven't found the answer to my question. The closest I could find was this thread, in which a similar plan to mine was considered acceptable.

In short, I have a return Northern complimentary pass. I was planning on doing Manchester to Carlisle. Outbound via the Cumbrian Coast Line and return via the Settle-Carlisle Line and Leeds. Would this be allowed? I note that both the Off Peak Reurn and Anytime return are only valid via Lancaster which I obviosuly would not be passing through on my retrun. Is this relevant to a complimentary ticket?

Also, would is a break of journey allows on a complimentary ticket or would this be taking the proverbial?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Tom
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,369
As long as you stick to Northern, pretty much anything goes.*

BoJ is perfectly fine.

(*Assuming that you aren't doing something like Liverpool-Chester via Preston, Carlisle, Leeds, York, Gilberdyke, Sheffield and Manchester or something equally insane that involves a huge double back.)

Probably little in the journey time between the Cumbrian Coast and the S&C anyway, basically think "could I easily justify this route."
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,899
You could state your destination as Appleby rather than Carlisle.

When I did the same circuit starting from Skipton I put my destination down as Whitehaven to 'justify' going via the Cumbrian Coast to Carlisle.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Don’t worry at all. I’ve done Leeds to Carlisle on a comp ticket, doing Leeds - York - Hull - Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly - Barrow - Carlisle. Obviously the logical one would be Leeds to Carlisle direct via Settle. Massively circuitous journey that wouldn’t be allowed on a regular ticket. I only got asked once about what I was doing but it was just the guard making sure I knew what I was doing (so I wasn’t on the wrong train).
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,899
Don’t worry at all. I’ve done Leeds to Carlisle on a comp ticket, doing Leeds - York - Hull - Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly - Barrow - Carlisle. Obviously the logical one would be Leeds to Carlisle direct via Settle. Massively circuitous journey that wouldn’t be allowed on a regular ticket. I only got asked once about what I was doing but it was just the guard making sure I knew what I was doing (so I wasn’t on the wrong train).
Was that on a complimentary return or the 'Day rover' version? Depends which box is ticked on the ticket.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Was that on a complimentary return or the 'Day rover' version? Depends which box is ticked on the ticket.

A return comp ticket. I tweeted Northern and they said I can go whichever way I want really as long as I stick to Northern services.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,848
Location
West of Andover
In my experience the guards rarely check the "from/to" fields on those tickets, a glance to see its been filled out. As long as you don't double back on yourself

I've only had a couple cases where they have looked at in detail, and that was on the Crewe - Manchester line when I was heading towards Doncaster on a Sunday morning
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top