• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not served by rail - Venues/ Malls etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Admittedly, it is not a venue or mall for the public, but I think that Manston Airport in Kent should be having a rail link, as it is planned to be reopened in 2025 for Air cargo flights. Although,short-haul public flights I believe are possibly going to recommence at Manston Airport, so it maybe a good place to be having a station.

I would also add that another airport to have a station which is Bournemouth Airport. Although, if you get a train to Bournemouth station it is only 20 - 30 minute shuttle bus ride to the airport, which is back a similar direction that the train takes in travelling to Southampton from Bournemouth?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Visiting the National Memorial Arboretum by bus is not easy. I recently considered booking a few nights in a hotel in Lichfield and travelling to the Aboretum by bus one day. The website suggests it is a 20-30 minute walk from the bus stop in Alrewas Village and gives directions. I‘m quite happy to walk but after reading the somewhat complicated directions and studying the route on an OS map and Google Earth I decided not to bother. It looks a very unpleasant walk negotiating large traffic roundabouts and slip roads from the A38. I decided it will be easier to drive there down the A38 from home in Nottinghamshire one day. I know it’s a very popular visitor attraction but I do wonder if it can’t even support a bus service to it would many people travel there by train.

I think people would use the train if a decent service was provided, and there was sufficient marketing and publicity.

Perhaps the hourly Cross Country service from Birmingham to the North East and Edinburgh could stop there.

Doing so would mean that Tamworth loses one train per hour to Birmingham, and people would have to change at Derby for services further North.

However it would mean that a train service could be provided at very little extra cost (excluding the construction of the station) as Cross Country crews presumably sign the route in case it is required for diversions, and there would be no additional rolling stock required.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,715
I think people would use the train if a decent service was provided, and there was sufficient marketing and publicity.

Perhaps the hourly Cross Country service from Birmingham to the North East and Edinburgh could stop there.

Doing so would mean that Tamworth loses one train per hour to Birmingham, and people would have to change at Derby for services further North.

However it would mean that a train service could be provided at very little extra cost (excluding the construction of the station) as Cross Country crews presumably sign the route in case it is required for diversions, and there would be no additional rolling stock required.
Not a chance as it puts a huge amount of time into the XC train. Thats why it will always stall as a proposal, it has nothing to serve it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top