• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not allowed onto the station until 20 minutes before the train...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkbonny

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2018
Messages
410
... is that an actual rule?

I had an advance ticket from Coventry yesterday for the 09.26. Relying on catching two buses to get to the station, there was no way I could risk cutting it fine - especially not at that time in the morning.
So I arrived and tried to scan my ticket at 8.50. It was rejected and the man at the gate said I wasn't allowed on until 20 minutes before the booked train. This was news to me!

He did eventually let me through, but was i seriously meant to wait over a quarter of an hour on the street side of the barriers with no Waiting Room, Toilet or catering facility?

How widespread is this rule, if it indeed it is one?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
A few stations operate things like this, generally to avoid passengers “accidentally on purpose” getting on the preceding train.

You can avoid this by simply choosing a traditional paper ticket. The magnetic stripe doesn’t have enough capacity to contain the selected train so you will be able to get through anytime on the selected day.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,825
... is that an actual rule?

I had an advance ticket from Coventry yesterday for the 09.26. Relying on catching two buses to get to the station, there was no way I could risk cutting it fine - especially not at that time in the morning.
So I arrived and tried to scan my ticket at 8.50. It was rejected and the man at the gate said I wasn't allowed on until 20 minutes before the booked train. This was news to me!

He did eventually let me through, but was i seriously meant to wait over a quarter of an hour on the street side of the barriers with no Waiting Room, Toilet or catering facility?

How widespread is this rule, if it indeed it is one?

The Coventry gateline are a nightmare. My parents have free off peak travel and they frequently have issues getting through the barriers before 9:30 in order to (slowly, they're old) get over to platform 3 for a just-after-9:30 train. Seems to be a complete shortage of common sense
 

blimmo

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2025
Messages
668
Location
West Mids
You can avoid this by simply choosing a traditional paper ticket. The magnetic stripe doesn’t have enough capacity to contain the selected train so you will be able to get through anytime on the selected day.
There is still the possibility that the ticket will be rejected by the barriers for one of the many random reasons that paper tickets often are. In my experience just looking annoyed enough will convince the gate line to let you in after sternly telling you that you have to get the right train.


A few stations operate things like this, generally to avoid passengers “accidentally on purpose” getting on the preceding train.
I understand the idea but it seems particularly stupid at Coventry where the easiest train to "accidentally on purpose" get on would be the xx:40 when you should be on the xx:45 which the 20 min "rule" would do nothing to stop.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,590
Location
LBK
I understand the idea but it seems particularly stupid at Coventry where the easiest train to "accidentally on purpose" get on would be the xx:40 when you should be on the xx:45 which the 20 min "rule" would do nothing to stop.
It's from the days of the regular 20 minute Virgin Trains frequencies on the Birmingham to Euston route, they've had the policy for a long time. But yes, daft now.
 

N1

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2022
Messages
385
... is that an actual rule?

I had an advance ticket from Coventry yesterday for the 09.26. Relying on catching two buses to get to the station, there was no way I could risk cutting it fine - especially not at that time in the morning.
So I arrived and tried to scan my ticket at 8.50. It was rejected and the man at the gate said I wasn't allowed on until 20 minutes before the booked train. This was news to me!

He did eventually let me through, but was i seriously meant to wait over a quarter of an hour on the street side of the barriers with no Waiting Room, Toilet or catering facility?

How widespread is this rule, if it indeed it is one?
Same has happened to me after being dropped off early at Coventry.

Was this at the gateline in the 'old' station building? I have usually found that if you simply go round to the new station building and try one of the two gatelines there, they will just let you in.
 

LucyP

On Moderation
Joined
17 Jul 2018
Messages
211
As I said on the thread where someone was complaining about not being allowed through the barriers to break a journey, this is what puts people off public transport.
 

blimmo

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2025
Messages
668
Location
West Mids
I have also been told this at the gate line to platform 1 (downstairs) in the new building, I think you just have to try all the gate lines until you find someone who doesn't care.
 

jmh59

Member
Joined
7 May 2018
Messages
154
Location
Leeds
We had this at Luton Airport Parkway - the lady at the airport end of the DART station let us through but we were then stuck not being able to get to the platforms. Of course we were 1.5 hours early for the train so fair enough and there are seats there and a loo... eventually there were a few of us similarly stuck. I will be wary of tickets in the future now I know - awkward buying in advance when you don't know if the plane will be late landing.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,827
We had this at Luton Airport Parkway - the lady at the airport end of the DART station let us through
Well there's no time restriction any sort on the DART so why wouldn't she?
 

jmh59

Member
Joined
7 May 2018
Messages
154
Location
Leeds
Well there's no time restriction any sort on the DART so why wouldn't she?
It was included with the overall ticket - it would not open the barriers at either end before the time on the ticket. She let us through being kind I guess...

Edit: to be clear this is after the DART at the railway end not getting on the DART at the airport end. There are two sets of gates maned by DART people (I'm sure you are aware but this was my second visit and first when not actually in a rush so I noticed more!)
 

Swedenorer

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2025
Messages
328
Location
Hants
Southern's gateline staff at Vic used to do the same thing with advances. The nearby bar did well...
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,827
It was included with the overall ticket - it would not open the barriers at either end before the time on the ticket. She let us through being kind I guess...
Regardless, for the DART the only question is whether you have a ticket or not. It's just the same as an Advance ticket that includes travel on London Underground.

And, for clarity, Thameslink barriers are set to reject all Advance tickets at all times
 
Last edited:

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,926
Location
Newport
Coventry does seem to have issues. Avanti’s Birmingham-bound services never seem to have many toilets available after the Coventry call.
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,405
As I said on the thread where someone was complaining about not being allowed through the barriers to break a journey, this is what puts people off public transport.
It's a right of passage and mark of honour for any true rail enthusiast to have had a massive row with a staff member making up their rules.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,747
Location
UK
At Norwich you have to wait until 30 minutes before your train (for intercity), or an hour for local services. To be fair, there's precisely zilch beyond the barriers other than the trains themselves, so there's no reason to go through early.

I wish this site had a 'like' button!
I remember reading that it did have one but it discouraged conversation so it was removed. I still wish we had one though as I don't like creating a pointless post.

I've had to argue break of journey with a member of gateline staff before, and he had me doubting if I was even correct! Now I work for the same company in the same role and I am certain that I was right.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top