• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norway/Iceland/Faroe Islands Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Hi all,

I'm likely going to try and get myself away on holiday in around a fortnight to Iceland/Norway and perhaps the Faroe Islands depending on how much time I have. I'm planning on booking everything a maximum of a week in advance to account for the current health situation as I know that things are subject to pretty sudden change. Flexible bookings too, where I can.

I'm aware also of the need to have a COVID-19 test on arrival in Keflavik for around £52 (and the need to be tested/briefly isolate in the Faroe Islands)- that'll be factored into costs.

Does anyone have any recommended destinations without a car? I know that Iceland will be more of a challenge outside of the more populated western corner but I'm happy to catch a domestic flight if needs be.

Norway in particular I'm keen on a couple of long distance rail journeys, my most likely choice being Oslo-Trondheim-Bodo. I'm also open to taking a domestic flight to link up a couple of lines to avoid some massive double backs (such as visiting Stavanger or Bergen).

In terms of the Faroe Islands, I'm keen to just see somewhere different, take in the scenery and perhaps hop on the Atlantic Airways helicopter service- I know that space is limited with this and that the booking window is quite short.

I'm after a balance, obviously a couple of rail journeys in Norway would be great but in Iceland/Faroe Islands I'm just after some decent scenery and some nice places to have a wander really.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated! I am of course aware that these countries are quite pricey but at the moment hotels seem to be a little less silly (Citybox in Oslo is hovering around £55 p/n rather than the £98 it was when I looked in 2018).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,716
Location
West Riding
I’d recommend a domestic flight to the volcanic island of Heimaey off Southern Iceland.

Also trips to the blue lagoon, geysers, glacier and impressive waterfalls. Perhaps take a boat to go see whales if available.

Iceland is only really worth going to if you like geography tbh.

Only been to Narvik in Norway so can’t really comment.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Can definitely recommend Trondheim to Bodo. Fantastic scenery.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Bodø route is definitely on my list.

I'm thinking about whether an Interrail pass is worth it or not- Oslo to Bodø via Trondheim then Bergen to Oslo (Wideroe flight bridging the gap) seems to come in at around the price of a three day pass.

The Flåm Line of course has always been "the" scenic railway over there, but is the £79ish return fare worth the price? I suppose the Interrail pass will knock that down to about £59.

Of course near Trondheim we also have the wonderfully named "Hell".
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
The Faroes are very easy to get around without a car - there's a good network of coach services. Torshavn to Klaksvik is a very good scenic journey.
 

TDMB_1907

Member
Joined
12 May 2020
Messages
12
Location
Berkshire
My favourite place in SW Iceland is the island of Heimaey (Vestmannaeyjar). Great for scenery, wildlife (Puffins), geology and geography (1973 Volcanic Eruption).You can get to it by public transport, but it may be a very long one-day trip (we have stayed overnight in the Hotel Vestmannaeyjar previously)! The buses tend to be timed to meet the ferry from Landeyjahöfn (mainland). Once on the island, everything is within walking distance. There is also a great brewery and tap room on the island (Brothers Brewery).

Other activities easily accessible from the Reykjavik include hiking up the local mountain Mt. Esja, visiting the Mid-Ocean Ridge and the site of Iceland's first parliament (Þingvellir), lava caves, hot springs, and glacier walking (we have used Icelandic Mountain Guides) among many others.

Some of the more touristy bits would be Geysir (although the cake in the gift shop is excellent), Gullfoss, Blue Lagoon etc. although with the general lack of international travel they may not be so busy!

The centre of Reykjavik is also worth a good explore, but would not take more than a couple of days (maximum), unless you really wanted to visit every museum.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
.

Norway in particular I'm keen on a couple of long distance rail journeys, my most likely choice being Oslo-Trondheim-Bodo. I'm also open to taking a domestic flight to link up a couple of lines to avoid some massive double backs (such as visiting Stavanger or Bergen).

Done Oslo Trondheim Bodø several times, always on the day train (it was a two car DMU some years ago, and quite comfortable, now loco and coaches). Never as a straight through trip, usually a couple of days side trip on the (amazing scenic) branch line from Dombas on the main line down to Aandalsnes, with the connecting bus over to Alesund.

On arrival at Bodø, I've carried on up to Narvik on a coach, then a side trip into Sweden on the scenic Ofotenbanen over the border to Kiruna and back, then another coach up to Tromsø. These bus rides were often more scenic and interesting than the train (used to be Nor-way Busexpressen) given the couple of ferries they use mid journey, drivers were always great..

I went in May, horrifically cold for some people, but best snowy scenery, cheaper hotels and less tourists. In a blizzard at 50mph, driver slammed on to avoid a herd of reindeer
 

JonasB

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
1,124
Location
Sweden
Norway in particular I'm keen on a couple of long distance rail journeys, my most likely choice being Oslo-Trondheim-Bodo. I'm also open to taking a domestic flight to link up a couple of lines to avoid some massive double backs (such as visiting Stavanger or Bergen).

When are you planning this trip? If it is a winter trip going as far north As Bodö might means it will be dark most of the day.

The Oslo-Bergen line is known for its beauty, and it can also be done in a loop with the Stavanger line (not trains between Bergen and Stavanger, but coaches, ferries and what might be the shortest 737/A320-flight in Europe).

Oslo-Trondheim-Bodö should also not be missed, especially Trondheim-Bodö is in my opion underrated and deserves the same attention as the line to Bergen. I can also recommend continuing north to Narvik and on to Sweden, the view as the train climbs up in to the mountain along the fjord is not bad. Altough the trains are currently suspended due to the pandemic.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
The Oslo-Bergen line is known for its beauty, and it can also be done in a loop with the Stavanger line (not trains between Bergen and Stavanger, but coaches, ferries and what might be the shortest 737/A320-flight in Europe).

It's a shame in 2014 they cancelled the Flaggruten boat from Bergen to Stavanger - they replaced it with (an equally beautiful) daily Bergen-Flåm-Bergen fast boat, run by Norled.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Next week, all being well. I'm monitoring the situation in Norway (and our own infection rate so I don't get denied entry without quarantine!) and plan on booking things on Weds/Thurs to depart Sun/Mon.

Thank you all for the advice, particularly with Vestmannaeyjar as I've worked out that that's a perfectly feasible wee trip if I fly there with Eagle Air and return by ferry and bus.

I think I have just about worked out a route in terms of flights at least, as my original plan was to fly via Amsterdam with KLM but that just seems like another variable to go wrong in the context of the pandemic, particularly on the return leg. Instead I'll be travelling direct to Oslo.

I've also been looking at Wideroe flights between Bergen and Bodø, though I need to organise myself properly as i feel like I need to use the day train on the Bodø-Trondheim part of the trip as the night one would be a tad pointless (and trashing, as it seems to be lacking sleeping accommodation at present).

I do feel slightly crazy for undertaking such a trip in the current circumstances however I'll be taking all necessary precautions, including allowing minimum 21 days from the end of the trip to the start of my new job just in case anything happens while I'm abroad.
 

JonasB

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
1,124
Location
Sweden
Next week, all being well. I'm monitoring the situation in Norway (and our own infection rate so I don't get denied entry without quarantine!) and plan on booking things on Weds/Thurs to depart Sun/Mon.

I think I have just about worked out a route in terms of flights at least, as my original plan was to fly via Amsterdam with KLM but that just seems like another variable to go wrong in the context of the pandemic, particularly on the return leg. Instead I'll be travelling direct to Oslo.

I've also been looking at Wideroe flights between Bergen and Bodø, though I need to organise myself properly as i feel like I need to use the day train on the Bodø-Trondheim part of the trip as the night one would be a tad pointless (and trashing, as it seems to be lacking sleeping accommodation at present).

In that case it is probably a good idea to avoid crossing the Swedish/Norwegian border. As well as avoid changing planes in another country to minimize the risk. You can see a map of entry requirements here (scroll down a bit): https://www.fhi.no/nettpub/coronavirus/fakta/reiserad-knyttet-til-nytt-koronavirus-coronavirus/ (Red: 14 days quarantine, green: no quarantine needed.)

And yes, you really should travel Bodö-Trondheim during the day.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Yes- I've been forced to faff with this trip a little to keep things as simple as possible.

Indeed, Iceland & Netherlands are now on the government's radar for potentially being removed as air bridges. Iceland seems daft but the small population means that even a small number of active cases brings up the rate per 100,000.

With that in mind, I've decided to stick to just Norway, direct flights throughout, and purchase an Interrail pass to be accompanied by a couple of domestic flights. I'll be doing all the "main" rail routes to Stavanger, Bergen, Bodø, Trondheim, etc.

It'll be out via SAS from Edinburgh to Oslo then back with Loganair from Stavanger to Newcastle. About £320 return but considering that it's with "National" carriers and at short notice, I'm not too pressed on that. I did consider flying via the Faroe Islands on the return but it seems that Atlantic Airways have ceased running to Edinburgh for the time being!

Iceland I will be very much having in the pipeline for 2021 as I would still absolutely love to visit, same goes for the Faroe Islands.

The trade off is that I may attempt to get myself all the way to Tromsø by air instead just to reach my most northerly point, ever!

I will be doing a report on how all of this goes (and most likely vlogging it) so that everyone can have a good idea of what it's like attempting a trip abroad in the current climate.
 

Elwyn

Member
Joined
5 May 2014
Messages
568
Location
Co. Antrim, Ireland
In terms of the Faroe Islands, I'm keen to just see somewhere different, take in the scenery and perhaps hop on the Atlantic Airways helicopter service- I know that space is limited with this and that the booking window is quite short.

If I remember correctly it’s not always possible to do a day trip by helicopter. They usually only allow a one way journey. (I think the idea behind this is to reserve the seats for residents and visitors staying several days. They don’t want the limited number of seats all taken by day trippers). So you would either have to stay overnight or get a ferry in one direction.

Check on that when you book. The rule may have changed if there are not many visitors at present.

I spent a week in Faroe and every single transaction was by contactless. I didn't use any cash at all. (Helpful as you don't really want to be left with Faeroese Kroner to change back). Buses in Thorshavn are all free.

I did a day trip to Mykines. Lovely little island. You normally need to book as the day trips sell out quickly. The harbour there is exposed and so the ferry doesn't always run if there's a swell running.
 
Last edited:

JonasB

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
1,124
Location
Sweden
It'll be out via SAS from Edinburgh to Oslo then back with Loganair from Stavanger to Newcastle. About £320 return but considering that it's with "National" carriers and at short notice, I'm not too pressed on that.

Good, the Netherlands just turned red on the Norwegian quarantine map.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Indeed I had a very bad feeling about flying KLM due to the case rate in the Netherlands being quite high so direct is definitely the way to go.

Interestingly Iceland & the Faroe Islands are turning red too so I'm happy to avoid them. I have no doubts though that in a couple of weeks the UK will also likely turn red if cases continue to increase. So long as I'm able to get there though, that's fine, as I have enough contingency to allow for a 14 day quarantine if it emerges while I'm away.

Again, like I say, I'll be documenting my experience in depth and taking all relevant precautions.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm clearly too late to reply, but I HIGHLY recommend Dombas-Andalsnes JUST for the journey. The first half is nice but nothing super amazing. After that though, wow that was nice and scenic!

I did it in March 2017, when the snow was down and the temperature cold, but also a sunny day. It's about 90 minutes I think each way, but if you can factor it in I'd certainly recommend it.

As for the ching on the test in Iceland, wow! Just as well you're not going there then. I'm due to go in March 2021, revised from March 2020, so I hope by then I'll not need to worry about tests etc. I'm refusing to travel abroad this year, in my mind it's not worth the hassle of these tests. I've got way too much to do in the UK, now I've got properly hooked on cycling!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
You aren't too late and I was actually looking at that route!

I've booked my flights now but the announcement that Netherlands was hitting the red list has unfortunately made this one expensive trip for flights.

I've ended up flying from Heathrow with SAS on Saturday at an eye-watering £247 one way. Returning with Loganair from Stavanger straight into Newcastle for £172. Both though are new airlines and I don't think SAS has much of a reputation for being cheap anyway! That too and I'm booking very late in the day so it's to be expected.

However, Norway seems remarkably cheaper than usual for hotels and such so its evened out compared to usual. Interrail has been purchased and I just need to call up to get reservations for trains before hotels are confirmed.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Fair game, and yes every time I've looked at the likes of KLM, SAS and similar airlines they've always been eye-wateringly expensive.

Hopefully you're going to have an amazing time!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Well everything is in order (I'm at Heathrow so I'd hope so!)

Booked myself all the necessary seat reservations and flights to Tromsø with SAS and Wideroe. I also seem to have a spare day in Stavanger so I'll be working out what to do with that!

It's been a pretty sedate day so far. All trains have been quiet (other than two unmasked, shouty idiots getting a bit too close on the TfL 360 to Heathrow) and Heathrow T2 is a bit surreal once you're past security. Similarly the underground walkways from T23 station were completely empty- lord knows how weird it felt when we were unable to travel abroad at all!

I haven't actually got any plans for tomorrow other than a nice lie in and a wander as I've had three early starts on the bounce (accompanied by minimal sleep) before the Interrail starts Monday with a visit to Åndalsnes and staying in Lillehammer before Tuesday I travel on the line from Hamar to Trondheim via Os, then onwards to Bodø on Wednesday.

On Thursday I'm going to Tromsø then Bergen by plane before travelling back towards Oslo by train Friday. Saturday of next week I'll be heading for Stavanger before a gentle Sunday and homeward on the Monday...

Hopefully the public health situation stays fairly stable but I think getting into Norway will be most of the battle!
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
So a little bit of an update as to how the trip is going.

I had myself a couple of trips on the T-Bane yesterday to the scenic ends of the lines (Sognsvann and Frognerseteren) and a visit to the small transport museum before going out on the boats that link up the little islands (all included in the 111NOK day ticket).

Went for reservations yesterday for today's trip and the bloke for some odd reason charged me for two people (and gave me two sets of reservations!) I only realised as I walked away- promptly went back and asked him what the point in that was- he had no explanation and gave me back half the money. I didn't question the weirdly higher price initially!

Only comfort class seats available on the train to Dombås as I booked so late- but SJ happily provide a complimentary breakfast service and there's a coffee machine in the middle of the carriage: not bad for about £9 seat fee!

I am noticing though that reliability isn't brilliant, though the timetabling seems to be quite generous. We left Oslo 10 minutes late with no explanation but have made all of it up by Hamar despite some slow running in the mix.

Otherwise it's just nice to be somewhere that feels a little more normal. Masks are optional but some choosing to wear them (I've worn them on busier T-Banen) and everyone is keeping a reasonable distance, with long distance trains having aisle seats blocked off, though otherwise everything is very pre-pandemic feeling! It seems to be a lot more down to common sense over here (and a lot less cases!)
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,041
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
For the Iceland trip I very much recommend taking a car around the entirety of Route 1, with some Airbnbs booked at convenient places en route. You could shortcut it by flying to Akureyri (second largest town on the island and a great place to spend a day or two) but your flight would likely dwarf the cost of the rental car..
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,441
For the Iceland trip I very much recommend taking a car around the entirety of Route 1, with some Airbnbs booked at convenient places en route. You could shortcut it by flying to Akureyri (second largest town on the island and a great place to spend a day or two) but your flight would likely dwarf the cost of the rental car..

You can fly from Reykjavik Domestic Airport to Akureyri for €64 at 4.30pm this afternoon with https://mynorthadventure.airicelandconnect.com/
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,441
That's me telt :lol: I'd been lead to believe those internal hops were extortionately priced compared to getting to the island or renting a car.

It might just be a sign that they have no passengers at the moment, and that in a normal summer it would be €300 :)
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
It seemed to average around £75-£125 for internal flights in Iceland when I looked at flying to Akureyri. It was also only around £69 to fly SAS from Oslo to Reykjavik Keflavik.

I can also thank Techniquest for his Åndalsnes recommendation. What an absolutely stunning line, and town.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Andalsnes branch, to date it is tied with the West Highland Line and the Bernina Express for my most enjoyably scenic rides so far.

The Jungfraubahn in Switzerland has yet to be done though, and that journey looks to be incredible! I saw a video on it the other day, and I was immediately in love with the idea of going up there. The Flam Railway in Norway, I need to do that one as from what I've seen it would be incredible too.

I've got some expensive holidays in my future! :lol:
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Travelled today from Hamar to Trondheim via Os and Rorøs.

The first section to Rorøs (well, the first three hours) is pleasant enough but nothing spectacular. It gets a lot prettier after Røros as you start hugging the river valley.

I then continued to Hell, because why not?

Tomorrow I'll be spending near enough 10 hours on the beautiful journey to Bodø before I fly to Tromsø on Thursday.
 

JonasB

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
1,124
Location
Sweden
I've ended up flying from Heathrow with SAS on Saturday at an eye-watering £247 one way. Returning with Loganair from Stavanger straight into Newcastle for £172. Both though are new airlines and I don't think SAS has much of a reputation for being cheap anyway! That too and I'm booking very late in the day so it's to be expected.

Being Scandinavian I've flown a lot with SAS and I don't think they are that expensive, sure they are no low cost airline but if you book in advance they are not that bad. I've flown Stockholm-Heathrow for far less than what you paid to Oslo. On the other hand, not much is normal in the travel industry at the moment…

Hopefully the public health situation stays fairly stable but I think getting into Norway will be most of the battle!

The UK just became red on the Norwegian quarantine map, so I'm glad you made it to Norway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top