FREEDOM OF THE NORTH WEST ROVER DAY 5
As indicated earlier, I made it on to the Cumbrian Coast today and here's a report of the day...
390 135 Warrington BQ to Carlisle
On arrival at Carlisle, I spotted some locos lurking round the back - 37 607 and 37 175 topping and tailing a track inspection set and 57 307 on its own.
I then wandered up to Platform 2 to await the Barrow training with fingers crossed it wouldn't be a unit. Well, sure enough the scheduled 37 turned up - 37 425. I took my seat and we pulled out on time. And travelled about 100 yards before grinding to a halt! As far as the signal box for those who know it. All was quiet and the guard came through looking very flustered, followed by an announcement that there was a problem with the brakes!! Twenty minutes later we did set off (in the meantime two freight trains hauled by 66s had passed by - one double header, one on its own.
37 425 Carlisle to St Bees
Thanks to
@55013 for the recommendation of St Bees. The ancient priory was very interesting and was followed by a wander to and along the beach before getting back to the station.
156 454 St Bees to Ravenglass
4 X Class 88 locos parked up at Sellafield amongst the nuclear waste flasks. How odd.
Half pint of Cumbrian Legendary Ales "Loweswater Gold" in the Ratty Arms
68 005 + 68 033 Ravenglass to Carlisle
350 410 Carlisle to Manchester Piccadilly
185 127 Manchester Piccadilly to Oxford Road
158 783 Oxford Road to Warrington Central
I must say that the loco hauled (or pushed) trains make the rest seem very dull in some ways, although I have taken quite a liking to the look of the 319s even if I've only travelled on 2 or 3. I'm building up a list of 185s I've had too - hit double figures after today!
I travelled on seven trains today and each was a different class - 37, 68, 156, 158, 185, 350, 390.
New line from Carlisle to Ravenglass.
Where to tomorrow?