• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern's penalty fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

furio000

Member
Joined
16 May 2018
Messages
6
A few months ago, I got a penalty ticket on the train from Liverpool lime street to Manchester airport station bcz I used an expired Railcard. But the fine ticket is lost, I don't know the notice number when I want to pay this penalty fare on Northern's website. I had email to the northern, but not get any reply after 20 working days. What should I do?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
A few months ago, I got a penalty ticket on the train from Liverpool lime street to Manchester airport station bcz I used an expired Railcard. But the fine ticket is lost, I don't know the notice number when I want to pay this penalty fare on Northern's website. I had email to the northern, but not get any reply after 20 working days. What should I do?
This really belongs in the Disputed & Prosecutions section, but we need some important details to advise you further.

Exactly how long ago did this happen? After 6 months it's hard for them to pursue things. Before then, they can prosecute for various offences if they want.

Did you offer to pay the fare due at the time? Did you give your correct name and address?
 

furio000

Member
Joined
16 May 2018
Messages
6
This really belongs in the Disputed & Prosecutions section, but we need some important details to advise you further.

Exactly how long ago did this happen? After 6 months it's hard for them to pursue things. Before then, they can prosecute for various offences if they want.

Did you offer to pay the fare due at the time? Did you give your correct name and address?
Actually it happened six months ago(December 22 in 2017). The staff in the station didn't ask me to pay it at that time. I gave them correct name,address, phone number. But they did not contact with me. If I'm prosecuted, how can I know that except they contact me?
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Actually it happened six months ago(December 22 in 2017). The staff in the station didn't ask me to pay it at that time. I gave them correct name,address, phone number. But they did not contact with me. If I'm prosecuted, how can I know that except they contact me?
They have until the 23rd of this month (i.e. six months from the day after the alleged offence) to lay information before the court to initiate a prosecution. If they do so, you will receive a summons from the Court, usually within a few weeks.

If they haven't yet written to you, it's likely, though not certain, that they are dropping the matter.
 

furio000

Member
Joined
16 May 2018
Messages
6
They have until the 23rd of this month (i.e. six months from the day after the alleged offence) to lay information before the court to initiate a prosecution. If they do so, you will receive a summons from the Court, usually within a few weeks.

If they haven't yet written to you, it's likely, though not certain, that they are dropping the matter.
Thanks for your help. Do u know any other way to contact with the Northern company except email and phone. I called them but they ask me the notice number on that penalty ticket.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
Thanks for your help. Do u know any other way to contact with the Northern company except email and phone. I called them but they ask me the notice number on that penalty ticket.
I would wait until a few weeks after the 24th. That way, they can no longer prosecute you, however if they have already done so then you would already likely have received the summons. There is little to be gained by bothering them now in the last few days where they can lay information before court.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top