• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern's approach to ticketless travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
What a fine idea! Indeed you could probably do it now, claiming you were misled or pressurised into a payment that you have since realised was erroneous. Perhaps if the 'Club of Victims of Serco/Northern' or whatever did it as a matter of course, they would deluge the admin to such an extent that they'd be so busy trying to defend their bogus charges they would hopefully have little time to issue any more! And once one had to be repaid the house of cards would begin to collapse...

Doesn't agreeing to an out of court settlement involve admitting guilt? I am not convinced that the small claims court would accept your argument and order the fee to be refunded.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. The message is clear enough: it is a criminal offence to travel without a valid ticket unless certain exceptions apply. If people do decide to break the law by travelling without a ticket, then they can be prosecuted. If Northern give them the chance to settle out of court for £80 then everyone's a winner. The criminal avoids a court appearance and a criminal record and larger expense. Northern receive £80 and the Taxpayer doesn't need to give Northern quite as much subsidy. The court's time is kept free to deal with more important matters. And hopefully the criminal will learn their lesson and change their behavior.

Even if Northern had a PF scheme, this would not stop them reporting all these people for prosecution and then settling out of court. First Capital Connect used to operate a PF scheme but we still saw many threads in "Disputes and Prosecutions" where people were being threatened with court action and settled out of court.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LateThanNever

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
1,029
Doesn't agreeing to an out of court settlement involve admitting guilt? I am not convinced that the small claims court would accept your argument and order the fee to be refunded.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. The message is clear enough: it is a criminal offence to travel without a valid ticket unless certain exceptions apply. If people do decide to break the law by travelling without a ticket, then they can be prosecuted. If Northern give them the chance to settle out of court for £80 then everyone's a winner. The criminal avoids a court appearance and a criminal record and larger expense. Northern receive £80 and the Taxpayer doesn't need to give Northern quite as much subsidy. The court's time is kept free to deal with more important matters. And hopefully the criminal will learn their lesson and change their behavior.

Even if Northern had a PF scheme, this would not stop them reporting all these people for prosecution and then settling out of court. First Capital Connect used to operate a PF scheme but we still saw many threads in "Disputes and Prosecutions" where people were being threatened with court action and settled out of court.

You don't agree to a criminal offence when you pay £80. You just agree to pay £80! There's no problem at all;) - just that Northern are part owned by the fraudsters Serco, the scheme seems to catch a lot of honest travellers and that Northern said it was £30 for a first offence not £80.
For honest travellers who've made a mistake it is extortion. For the regulars who don't care it is one of the costs of travel!
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
You don't agree to a criminal offence when you pay £80. You just agree to pay £80! There's no problem at all;) - just that Northern are part owned by the fraudsters Serco, the scheme seems to catch a lot of honest travellers and that Northern said it was £30 for a first offence not £80.
For honest travellers who've made a mistake it is extortion. For the regulars who don't care it is one of the costs of travel!

If the honest passenger has made a mistake, they have the option of going to a magistrate and pleading their case.

I get the impression your problem is not with the idea of passengers without valid tickets being offered a way to avoid going to court but still paying a set fee towards the cost of the Revenue Protection that is necessary (due to passengers not being in possession of valid tickets), but with the current franchise holders.

If, for example, Chiltern introduced a similar scheme with a similar charge, would you find this equally objectionable, and if so, why? You are not allowed to say "because it punishes people who have made an honest mistake", as that argument is basically flawed (see above).
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
I'm a bit baffled by this, I've always bought my ticket when travelling from Meadowhall on the train - never had a problem, the guard has always sold me one, yet I see the signs that say I'm committing an offence - if I'm committing an offence, why do I not get fined ?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I'm a bit baffled by this, I've always bought my ticket when travelling from Meadowhall on the train - never had a problem, the guard has always sold me one, yet I see the signs that say I'm committing an offence - if I'm committing an offence, why do I not get fined ?

Because guards are not authorised to do everything a trained RPI is authorised to.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
I'm a bit baffled by this, I've always bought my ticket when travelling from Meadowhall on the train - never had a problem, the guard has always sold me one, yet I see the signs that say I'm committing an offence - if I'm committing an offence, why do I not get fined ?
Because only a court can hand out a fine ;)

Seriously though, guards do like getting a cut of the revenue and to them, making an extra fiver or so per journey is probably more rewarding than getting into an argument with everyone without a ticket.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
I'm guessing I won't see a RPI at 6am either
It's my opinion that RPIs should (where available) be deployed on intercity services at random, for example the Virgin services into Manchester that see an awful proportion of passengers board at Stockport/Stoke etc without tickets. It certainly wouldn't be a revenue-negative move.

The nascent introduction of revenue protection staff at Picc has addressed this problem to some extent.

But late at night, it is very easy to board services with no ticket where staffing has been reduced and gates are open.

The status quo of passengers chancing it won't change unless something drastic, like having RPIs present at 6am, is done.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I'm guessing I won't see a RPI at 6am either

I don't know about Northern area RPIs but I have recently witnessed an RPI in action on Thameslink services at 5am. I had a chat with him and interestingly was told that newco (ie. Thameslink) are trying to get staff off barriers and onto trains to have better RPI presence. They are also extending their hours so sometimes they work 12-hour shifts for a few days in a row. Of course that is just hearsay but that is from an RPI so I would not be surprised if this were true.
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
But, what I don't get is why do guards sell tickets when you could theoretical buy them on the station - if you are going to "penalty charge" it's either one thing or the other surely ?
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
But, what I don't get is why do guards sell tickets when you could theoretical buy them on the station - if you are going to "penalty charge" it's either one thing or the other surely ?

See the numerous discussions about the inconsistency of the system that is dotted all around.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
But, what I don't get is why do guards sell tickets when you could theoretical buy them on the station - if you are going to "penalty charge" it's either one thing or the other surely ?
It doesn't help the situation.
But what other choice does he have - walk past and lose all revenue from that passenger?
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
Indeed... Although most of my rail travel is now for work, so my tickets are either printed at my office in Leeds or sent to ticket machine for collection. I could probably count on one hand the times I've travelled for committing - i.e. I've paid
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
But what other choice does he have - walk past and lose all revenue from that passenger?


It's double standards - you either make people pay before boarding or don't - it's like the baggage charges on airlines, it was very hit and miss 10 years ago, so many people chances their allowance. Now you are assured of charges if you exceed your allowance so adhere to the weight
 

LateThanNever

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
1,029
If the honest passenger has made a mistake, they have the option of going to a magistrate and pleading their case.

I get the impression your problem is not with the idea of passengers without valid tickets being offered a way to avoid going to court but still paying a set fee towards the cost of the Revenue Protection that is necessary (due to passengers not being in possession of valid tickets), but with the current franchise holders.

If, for example, Chiltern introduced a similar scheme with a similar charge, would you find this equally objectionable, and if so, why? You are not allowed to say "because it punishes people who have made an honest mistake", as that argument is basically flawed (see above).

I agree with your latest post about Russian roulette!
But the argument about making an honest mistake is not flawed if you are allowed to pay the correct fare/ a small 'penalty', give your name and address and move on. Northern are taking advantage of strict liability with an inadequate fare collection/protection system. Even I in the South West have paid on the train for the last 30 years from my local station because it's been a bombsite for more than that. It is rumoured to have some improvements. I must beware! When I lived in Yorkshire for a short time 'PayTrains' were the latest thing - treat the train like a bus! But in those days buses had conductors (do some Northern and Southern trains still have them?) and you paid when they asked you for the fare. Now the railway are relying on ancient legislation to penalise even honest passengers...
But as I've indicated before the system is grossly unfair if, when I was issued a day return ticket on 21 April, but dated the 1st April(!) I'm supposed to be liable. I do not print the tickets, I do not know the codes or the routes I just ask for them. Everyone fortunately had a good laugh but I could have been nicked if someone hadn't seen the funny side.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Oh dear, here we go again:
Northern are taking advantage of strict liability . . . . .
I can't see that they, or any other Railway Company, are doing any wrong by "taking advantage" of the very provision which (in its previous incarnation) was produced by the Government-run British Railways so that the Railways can protect themselves against people who "take advantage" of an incomplete barrier to access railway property without paying. Of course Railway Companies should use the provisions given to them to protect their revenue from the losses that would accrue from those who choose to travel without paying unless challenged! Of course they should "take advantage" of what is given to them to use. Hence the need for a "strict liability". iIt would be irresponsible and possibly negligent not to!

Now the railway are relying on ancient legislation to penalise even honest passengers...
I think you must have switched the subject somewhere, because the Railway Byelaws, which carry the "strict liability" you are unhappy with and which are currently in force are younger than some of my clothes and younger than some of the wine I've drunk this week. The current version was written in 2005. Ancient for some, perhaps.

But I think that Northern Rail (the subject of this thread) are really more reliant on the Regulation of Railways Act, which is the statute which captures those intending to avoid payment. The age of that legislation gives it some robust authority, and perhaps that confused you with its 'ancient' date. But relatively speaking, it isn't that old when compared to the likes of other long standing offences of 'theft', 'murder', 'nuisance', 'trespass', ''assault', fraud', 'forgery', 'rape', 'negligence' etc. Their long history gives these offences some clout. We can update laws (and some recent governments seem to have done so almost obsessively), which I don't have much enthusiasm for, or, we can allow the older statutes and common law to evolve with real-world circumstances and progressive judgements accumulating the detail and their precision; I find this to be the fairest form of generating jurisprudence.
Northern Rail seem equally happy to work within that framework of evolved jurisprudence and it's dissapointing that you don't share that view. I find that 'old' law which is constantly evolving in the Courts with real world circumstances, is a lot more appropriate than much of the 'new' law which either tries to do more than Statues can do, or expressly leaves the details for the Courts to decide all over again.

Of course there are details which won't always give the desired outcome at first blush, but the people in Northern's Prosecutions team are fully aware of these, and despite your protests, I'm going to have to ask you to identify those actual incidents of an unfair or unjust prosecution by Northen Rail since their introduction of the Failure to Pay scheme, please.

But as I've indicated before the system is grossly unfair . . . . .
Well clearly that is your opinion, and seems unlikely to change. But other views are available.
I see nothing inherently "unfair" in providing the opportunity to remedy a failure to pay for a service taken.
 
Last edited:

Class377

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
444
It appears to me that this scheme isn't particularly unfair because, well, law-abiding passengers who buy at the first available opportunity tend not to get affected by it.

It's only people who ignore an opportunity to pay, and if you do that, then all bets are off as you are of course liable to prosecution regardless of your intentions. If you ran a company and you came across an alarming number of people who weren't paying for your service, wouldn't you want to send out a strong message?
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,241
It appears to me that this scheme isn't particularly unfair because, well, law-abiding passengers who buy at the first available opportunity tend not to get affected by it.

It's only people who ignore an opportunity to pay, and if you do that, then all bets are off as you are of course liable to prosecution regardless of your intentions. If you ran a company and you came across an alarming number of people who weren't paying for your service, wouldn't you want to send out a strong message?

I agree with your general point, but there are some particular issues with Northern Rail such as the ambiguous arrangements at one of their busiest stations (Manchester Victoria) where there are various routes into/ out of the station which may/ may not have barriers/ ticket facilities etc; and their inconsistency re what tickets will be issued on-train.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,800
If someone pays the penalty fare, £80, do they also have to pay the original fare as well? Thinking that on a local Lancashire bus route, the "Standard Fare" posted on the windows for ticket dodgers was £10, cheaper than many a journey, so passengers simply refused to buy a ticket and then were asked to pay the standard fare instead, which they happily obliged! But it was called Standard and not Penalty, I suppose with a penalty you have to pay the original fare on top?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,657
Location
Isle of Man
If you ran a company and you came across an alarming number of people who weren't paying for your service, wouldn't you want to send out a strong message?

I'd want to send out a consistent message. Northern don't do that and haven't done that for a very very long time.

Pay Trains have been the big thing since at least the 70s in Yorkshire and Lancashire, at one point in the early 90s just about every station in West Yorkshire lost its ticket office. You were supposed to buy on board. Northern are trying to row back from that position and I agree with that.

But they're doing it in a devious and underhanded way, rather than setting up a true penalty fare scheme with all the obligations that brings. The government set up rules about penalty fares and Northern have just chosen to ignore every single last one of them. They don't even have an appeal scheme. "Take your chance with the Magistrate, who is bound by strict liability laws" is not an appeal scheme. Passenger Focus have tried their best, finding against Northern several times, but their decisions are not binding.

DaveNewcastle, the age of the Byelaws doesn't stop them being antiquated and unfit for purpose, like much of New Labour's strict liability legislation.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,778
Location
Yorkshire
I'd want to send out a consistent message. Northern don't do that and haven't done that for a very very long time.

Pay Trains have been the big thing since at least the 70s in Yorkshire and Lancashire, at one point in the early 90s just about every station in West Yorkshire lost its ticket office. You were supposed to buy on board. Northern are trying to row back from that position and I agree with that.

Whilst West Yorkshire has a large number of unstaffed stations I don't remember any great number becoming unstaffed in the 90s (except that none of the newbuilds were staffed). Which closed?

DaveNewcastle, the age of the Byelaws doesn't stop them being antiquated and unfit for purpose, like much of New Labour's strict liability legislation.

That rather depends what the purpose is - if it's to enable Northern to reclaim some of the money that's lost in unpaid fares it seems to be working just fine for them (though not everyone paying the extra may have cost them that much).
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,657
Location
Isle of Man
Shipley and Keighley never fully closed, but they were down to pretty much the morning peak only at one point. I remember Shipley being locked up by lunchtime. Things improved a little when Northern Spirit brought in the Penalty Fare scheme.
 
Last edited:

LateThanNever

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
1,029
Oh dear, here we go again:I can't see that they, or any other Railway Company, are doing any wrong by "taking advantage" of the very provision which (in its previous incarnation) was produced by the Government-run British Railways so that the Railways can protect themselves against people who "take advantage" of an incomplete barrier to access railway property without paying.
Here, as you say, we go again.
They are "taking advantage" because they have special legislation not open to anyone else except a select band of previously nationalised industries. Similar to utility companies, (who, when privatised, started cutting off people's water instead of properly pursuing them for payment).

Nationalised industries were state employees and so responsible to the taxpayer, who paid their wages. Private rail companies like to show their independence, it seems, although every taxpayer partly contributes to their wages.

Of course Railway Companies should use the provisions given to them to protect their revenue from the losses that would accrue from those who choose to travel without paying unless challenged! Of course they should "take advantage" of what is given to them to use. Hence the need for a "strict liability". iIt would be irresponsible and possibly negligent not to!

Given the legislation enables the railway companies to be in effect judge and jury in their own court and where no internal appeals appeals are independent, it is a pity that they, rather than being "not irresponsible" are not themselves rather more responsible. They are neither transparent nor consistent, indeed they are possibly negligent too!
In short I consider some rail companies do not exhibit adequate responsibility to be granted the right to use such privileged 'strict liability' legislation.

I think you must have switched the subject somewhere, because the Railway Byelaws, which carry the "strict liability" you are unhappy with and which are currently in force are younger than some of my clothes and younger than some of the wine I've drunk this week. The current version was written in 2005. Ancient for some, perhaps.
Firstly that wine wasn't drunk on a train unless you brought it with you;) (I won't comment on the clothes).
Second the Strategic Rail authority redid the laws - and where are they now? Third that was a rehash of the 60s Byelaws of the Nationalised British Railways Board - and where are they now?
But I think that Northern Rail (the subject of this thread) are really more reliant on the Regulation of Railways Act, which is the statute which captures those intending to avoid payment. The age of that legislation gives it some robust authority, and perhaps that confused you with its 'ancient' date. But relatively speaking, it isn't that old when compared to the likes of other long standing offences of 'theft', 'murder', 'nuisance', 'trespass', ''assault', fraud', 'forgery', 'rape', 'negligence' etc. Their long history gives these offences some clout. We can update laws (and some recent governments seem to have done so almost obsessively), which I don't have much enthusiasm for, or, we can allow the older statutes and common law to evolve with real-world circumstances and progressive judgements accumulating the detail and their precision; I find this to be the fairest form of generating jurisprudence.
Northern Rail seem equally happy to work within that framework of evolved jurisprudence and it's dissapointing that you don't share that view. I find that 'old' law which is constantly evolving in the Courts with real world circumstances, is a lot more appropriate than much of the 'new' law which either tries to do more than Statues can do, or expressly leaves the details for the Courts to decide all over again.

Of course there are details which won't always give the desired outcome at first blush, but the people in Northern's Prosecutions team are fully aware of these, and despite your protests, I'm going to have to ask you to identify those actual incidents of an unfair or unjust prosecution by Northen Rail since their introduction of the Failure to Pay scheme, please.


I have no evidence of unjust prosecution by Northern - just lots of evidence of use of sleight of hand tactics to extract monies to prevent a prosecution, which is likely to succeed only if you ignore intent or honest mistakes. To their customers it must seems rather like protection money. Indeed if threads I've read are correct it seems that if an assault is likely no effort is made to prosecute either that or any ticket offence...

Well clearly that is your opinion, and seems unlikely to change. But other views are available.
I see nothing inherently "unfair" in providing the opportunity to remedy a failure to pay for a service taken.

Of course it is not unfair unless there is a valid reason for that failure to pay. But Northern seems to provide no more than a random opportunity to pay and so lots of valid reasons not to, which they seem to do their best to deny.

I concur with all of the below:
I'd want to send out a consistent message. Northern don't do that and haven't done that for a very very long time.

Pay Trains have been the big thing since at least the 70s in Yorkshire and Lancashire, at one point in the early 90s just about every station in West Yorkshire lost its ticket office. You were supposed to buy on board. Northern are trying to row back from that position and I agree with that.

But they're doing it in a devious and underhanded way, rather than setting up a true penalty fare scheme with all the obligations that brings. The government set up rules about penalty fares and Northern have just chosen to ignore every single last one of them. They don't even have an appeal scheme. "Take your chance with the Magistrate, who is bound by strict liability laws" is not an appeal scheme. Passenger Focus have tried their best, finding against Northern several times, but their decisions are not binding.

DaveNewcastle, the age of the Byelaws doesn't stop them being antiquated and unfit for purpose, like much of New Labour's strict liability legislation.

And of course they've now been found to be demonstrably lying about their so called Penalty Fare Scheme. Couldn't ask for finer or more upstanding people really could we?
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
I didn't realise ATW had a Penalty Fare scheme!
It doesn't, although it is following closely behind Northern in throwing prosecution noticed about.
I'm guessing I won't see a RPI at 6am either
As bb21 mentions, you might. I've also seen RPIs on Southeastern early morning services. [Rest of the day they're parked in Sevenoaks, Dartford and Gravesend potting people with Oyster cards.]
I'm a bit baffled by this, I've always bought my ticket when travelling from Meadowhall on the train - never had a problem, the guard has always sold me one, yet I see the signs that say I'm committing an offence - if I'm committing an offence, why do I not get fined ?
You are committing an offence each time. If you happen to drop litter, cross the road on a red man, swear excessively in public, order a pint when you're a bit drunk, or bring a bottle of Coke through airport security you're also committing an offence. Not all offences are detected and not all those offences that are detected are prosecuted.
It appears to me that this scheme isn't particularly unfair because, well, law-abiding passengers who buy at the first available opportunity tend not to get affected by it.

It's only people who ignore an opportunity to pay, and if you do that, then all bets are off as you are of course liable to prosecution regardless of your intentions. If you ran a company and you came across an alarming number of people who weren't paying for your service, wouldn't you want to send out a strong message?
Exactly. I still do not understand how people who wouldn't dream of bilking or travelling by bus or plane without a ticket, yet think it's fair game to try it on the train.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,778
Location
Yorkshire
You are committing an offence each time. If you happen to drop litter, cross the road on a red man, swear excessively in public, order a pint when you're a bit drunk, or bring a bottle of Coke through airport security you're also committing an offence.

The one I've bolded isn't an offence in this country, though it is in many.
 

Haydn1971

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2012
Messages
2,101
Location
Sheffield
Also, the given examples are out of context in that the guard is actually selling you the ticket is aware that you are committing the offence but clearly sidesteps to get the revenue - I'm not complaining but some clarity would be nice.
 

Hellfire

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2012
Messages
573
I don't understand why this discussion is dragging on. If you board a train without a valid ticket, and where facilities were available at your point of departure to purchase said ticket, you commit an offence.

Whether or not you think Northern's implementation of the law is somewhat haphazard is another matter. I stand to be corrected, but I'm not aware of any legal challenges to Northern's policies.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Also, the given examples are out of context in that the guard is actually selling you the ticket is aware that you are committing the offence but clearly sidesteps to get the revenue - I'm not complaining but some clarity would be nice.

It would help if the passenger is reminded that they committed an offence each time this happens, but in reality there are a number of reasons why this may not be the best approach as we do not live in a perfect world. For example, testimonies from railway staff on this forum strongly suggest that "reminding the passengers that they are committing an offence" does not go down well with the punters, it is sometimes better to collect some revenue (a discounted fare) when working by oneself than to potentially cause a big scene attempting to correctly charge a passenger up (a full fare for example), leaving that job for a team of RPIs working together or for when there is proper backup in case of difficulties, etc.

None of this however changes the fact that an offence has been committed, and while I appreciate that some people may not care or be fully aware of the severity of their actions or any of the potential consequences, these are not valid excuses as the law is concerned. I do think that many TOCs are making a better effort nowadays to publicise information on relevant legislation but of course more can be done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top