• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Website Account Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChooChooChloe

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2017
Messages
19
Hi, I'm trying to set up an account with Northern, but it won't accept any password I submit, and it won't explain why.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E_Reeves

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2015
Messages
1,412
Location
West Midlands
Have you tried different combinations e.g. at least one capital letter, special character and number for example? Or maybe the system is down?
 

ChooChooChloe

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2017
Messages
19
Have you tried different combinations e.g. at least one capital letter, special character and number for example? Or maybe the system is down?
image.png

I've tried it with all small letters and a mix of numbers and letters. All I get is this
 

E_Reeves

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2015
Messages
1,412
Location
West Midlands
image.png

I've tried it with all small letters and a mix of numbers and letters. All I get is this
Huh, not really sure then? They're not very particular in telling you what you've done wrong :lol:. I'd just keep playing around with it and see if anything happens. As I said, it could be a technical error?
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,594
It looks like that's the error message you get when the two don't match. The validation messages across the form haven't been changed from defaults, and are all pretty much hopeless
 

Mathew S

Established Member
Joined
7 Aug 2017
Messages
2,167
Just a suggestion, but have you tried asking Northern?
Don't mean to be funny, but I've always found them (especially on Twitter) to be pretty helpful.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
It could also be that there are some invalid characters in the fields. As suggested above try different combinations of passwords, and if all else fails the Twitter team are very good.
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
You could try using a different web browser and see if you still get the same problem
 

M28361M

Member
Joined
15 May 2014
Messages
684
Location
Liverpool
Random thought: isn't Northern a Trainline-based site?

Trainline (and TOC sites that use it) used to be quite picky about passwords. In particular there was a limit of I think 10 characters. No idea whether this is still the case, but it might be worth trying a shorter password of 10 chars maximum to see if that works.
 

uww11x

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2012
Messages
402
Use either !€£# and a Capital letter at the start of the Password and usual works!
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I hate sites that do this - there a multitude of things it can be. I recently had one which wanted various things, which I had met but it still didn't work. After trial and error, it transpired not to "like" one of the special (but not that special) characters I had used!
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
Are you typing it twice? Some sites do not like typing in password, then copy and pasting it for the re-enter box
 

ChooChooChloe

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2017
Messages
19
Tried to register with Northern's job application website, and had similar ludicrous problems as well! Have registered with EMT and Virgin WC with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Tweeted them twice, at different times of the day - nothing.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,308
I've just tried to create a dummy account with Northern and it accepted "password" as a valid password, so it doesn't seem to be too picky! I suspect maybe the password you are trying to use is too long?
 

ChooChooChloe

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2017
Messages
19
Think you must be right! I'm on now. I can't believe any company in 2017 would accept 'password'!
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,594
Think you must be right! I'm on now. I can't believe any company in 2017 would accept 'password'!
It's a slippery slope to reject obvious words like "password". The next step is to demand a digit (which will always just be a 1 on the end of the word), and then a capital (which will always go on the start). None of it increases security, although it increases peoples false sense of security, and makes it more likely that people will end up writing the passwords down. Given how much of the rail industry still has inane rules like a short maximum password length I'd hate to see it get worse...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top