• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
I don’t think so , I believe they are probably the usual Heaton based 156’s ( 421/423//429/444/475/485/491 ) which are on the Manchester side due to the Corkickle tunnel closure
The North East based ones have different seats.
Or at least some of them do - I certainly wasn't aware of any 156s with those seats.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
444
The North East based ones have different seats.
Or at least some of them do - I certainly wasn't aware of any 156s with those seats.
The units that came down from Scotrail and are based at Heaton, 447, 449, 465, 485 etc. have Fainsa seats fitted (or ironing board type).
 

simon7929

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2011
Messages
724
Location
Stockton South
Only 6 have the new seats. All ex Scotrail. These are 156 447/9/65/78/85 and 496. Unit 485 is currently on loan to NH to cover additional diagrams along with a few others. Strangely 156416 which is based at NH seems to have made itself at home in the NE. And has been working out of Heaton for the last two weeks.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
The units that came down from Scotrail and are based at Heaton, 447, 449, 465, 485 etc. have Fainsa seats fitted (or ironing board type).
These are 156 447/9/65/78/85 and 496.
Ah, I knew about 496 being ex-Scotrail but not the others.
Makes sense that I didn't know they had Fainsa's since I haven't ridden any of those 6.
 

david l

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2016
Messages
475
Location
Wigan
On wnxx there is mention of some extra 156's coming from Scotrail (3 mentioned??). Also that a 156 is being stripped at NH for parts. Anyone confirm or otherwise?
TIA
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
444
On wnxx there is mention of some extra 156's coming from Scotrail (3 mentioned??). Also that a 156 is being stripped at NH for parts. Anyone confirm or otherwise?
TIA
Close. There has been a couple of ASR 156's inspected at Corkerhill for Northern to lease for a year, but they're in a bit of a state. I wouldn't want them. 156907 is at Heaton and is being systematically stripped for spares.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
Copied from the 15X Fleet future & withdrawal thread
In regards to extra 156s from ScotRail:
Any truth in the rumour of x4 scotrail 156s off to northern?
Alex Hynes has confirmed additional carriages for the Northumberland Line on his X account. It is not stated where they are coming from. I have asked the question, but I’m not convinced it will be answered.
Regardless, it is good news.
ScotRail recently extended the lease on the 156's but reduced the fleet size by four so it would make sense for Northern to take them to ease their issues.

and for a spare being stripped for parts:
However it does appear that, according to Wikipedia, the Porterbrook unit 407/907 has been moved from Long Marston to Heaton?
407 / 907 is with Heaton for parts only, it’s in a very sorry state
 

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
983
Location
Manchester
Do they not?
I've definitely been on 150/2s with bike spaces (at the end of the non-toilet carriage).

I think it's the ex-London Midland ones. The 'cycle space' is a pair of very stiff tip-up seats with the vestibule wall at one side, and a bulkhead on the other, backing onto a single row of 3x2 seating before the cab. The problem is that the space isn't long enough for a non-folding bike, and the walls extend right out to the edges of the gangway, so there's just a deep square hole where a bike doesn't even fit diagonally without blocking the gangway.
If one of those shows up I try to find another unit to put my bike in, or stand with it in the vestibule where it actually causes less of an obstruction!
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
I believe there is a second unit (mentioned in another thread somewhere) which is to be the parts donor for the North West unit with 407 / 907 remaining at Heaton (or what’s left of it)
Two of the Angel 156s formerly with EMR from Ely have been tripped to Wolverton for that purpose I believe.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,654
Location
Greater Manchester
I think it's the ex-London Midland ones. The 'cycle space' is a pair of very stiff tip-up seats with the vestibule wall at one side, and a bulkhead on the other, backing onto a single row of 3x2 seating before the cab. The problem is that the space isn't long enough for a non-folding bike, and the walls extend right out to the edges of the gangway, so there's just a deep square hole where a bike doesn't even fit diagonally without blocking the gangway.
Ah, I see them on the /1s and that row of 3 seats is my favourite! I also see people struggle with fitting their bikes in there too.
Sure it has no USB port but it has a footrest, loads of legroom, and no one across from you.
 

ENC Rail

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2023
Messages
92
Location
West Yorkshire

ENC Rail

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2023
Messages
92
Location
West Yorkshire
2 for 1 swap. About right for the west side!
Definitely typical! However it could be to cover for 150222 & 150275, which are currently going through overhaul, as well as a 150/0 (I'm unsure of the number). Are these units been unavaliable causing any short forms in the East?
 

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,893
Location
Lancashire
150105 and 150150 are moving from Newton Heath - Neville Hill today and 150218 and 150228 are moving the opposite way 24/05/26

Running headcodes are 5Z51 and 5Z52 respectively
 
Last edited:

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,600
Why are they running via Bradford and now via Brighouse and Dewsbury? Are there no paths available?
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,646
Location
Rochdale
Why are they running via Bradford and now via Brighouse and Dewsbury? Are there no paths available?
There's some works west of Dewsbury today so it's just Northern via Bradford to Leeds otherwise it's bus fun times!
 

bigmanaiq

Member
Joined
29 May 2025
Messages
105
Location
yorkshire
What's the purpose of these Newton Heath moves please? Sorry if it's been answered already
I believe it’s because a lot of services in the west operate in double formation, whereas services in the east run in singles. So it would make more sense to have units with gangways where more services run in pairs.
 

Top