• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
444
One for diligentdave, are there new dates for when 150120 and 150275 will be released.
150120 looks like I got my dates mixed up with 210. Currently 25/7/26
150210 move planned for 20th May
150275 now looking like 1st June. This is currently the first set date for this unit.
155345 now more likely 19th June.
156401 currently possibly 31st July - same
156466 currently 5th June - same
156481 currently 30th May - same
156488 now 11th July.
150222 not known
150001 currently September.
 

sbrignall72

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2020
Messages
773
Location
Brough
150120 looks like I got my dates mixed up with 210. Currently 25/7/26
150210 move planned for 20th May
150275 now looking like 1st June. This is currently the first set date for this unit.
155345 now more likely 19th June.
156401 currently possibly 31st July - same
156466 currently 5th June - same
156481 currently 30th May - same
156488 now 11th July.
150222 not known
150001 currently September.
Thank you diligentdave most appreciated
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,653
Location
Greater Manchester
Is there any reason why 150121 and 150122 are around Leeds today on a normally /2 run?
Hmm, looks like they made their way across from Newton Heath on Sunday, with 150271 coming the other way.
150121 + 150122 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:S90564/2026-05-17/detailed#allox_id=2
150271 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:S90563/2026-05-17/detailed#allox_id=1


150271 looks to be out on New Mills services today - it's one I've not seen yet so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it when it comes my way.
 
Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,128
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
150s are being swapped around between West and East.

I don't know how many or why though.
I suspect that it might be because the majority of North West diagrams are four cars; whereas the majority of Leeds diagrams are two cars. Swapping the Leeds area 150/2s for 150/1s from Newton Heath would allow for through connections between units on more services, thud improving revenue protection opportunities.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,731
Location
West Riding
I suspect that it might be because the majority of North West diagrams are four cars; whereas the majority of Leeds diagrams are two cars. Swapping the Leeds area 150/2s for 150/1s from Newton Heath would allow for through connections between units on more services, this improving revenue protection opportunities.
That’s a good theory, and very sensible.

Could it also help with unit familiarisation if Northern gain any TfW 150’s and they head to the North West or are they treated as exactly the same?
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,653
Location
Greater Manchester
Could it also help with unit familiarisation if Northern gain any TfW 150’s and they head to the North West or are they treated as exactly the same?
150225 has been around Manchester for the last few years - 150226 was too before it was reformed to the middle cars of 150007 and 150008.

150224 used to be around too, but has gone back to the east side.
 

AMD

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
774
It's the full allocation of 24 at NL being swapped around.
Finally.
I asked Chris Jackson about this a good number of years ago and all I got told then was that it was for fleet technical reasons!
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Finally.
I asked Chris Jackson about this a good number of years ago and all I got told then was that it was for fleet technical reasons!

A significant factor always seemed to be the 4 car 150 workings that terminate at Knaresborough and therefore could require a change of ends on Knaresborough viaduct. That doesn't seem to be a thing anymore so perhaps that has significantly changed the outlook?

150/2s are rubbish, disappointing news.

The 150/1s are not exactly performing well in Yorkshire so far....
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,898
A significant factor always seemed to be the 4 car 150 workings that terminate at Knaresborough and therefore could require a change of ends on Knaresborough viaduct. That doesn't seem to be a thing anymore so perhaps that has significantly changed the outlook?
There is a walking route provided at Knaresborough to change between units so I doubt that was the reason.
 

M60lad

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
1,598
What is it why people don't like 150/2s? I know that there's a number of differences between a 150/1 and a 150/2 and to me the they sound different.
 

19Gnasher69

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2021
Messages
172
Location
Aire Valley
What is it why people don't like 150/2s? I know that there's a number of differences between a 150/1 and a 150/2 and to me the they sound different.
I think that the question should be, why do people even have a preference when it comes to 150s - they’re all awful to travel on.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
I think that the question should be, why do people even have a preference when it comes to 150s - they’re all awful to travel on.
The gangwayed ones are slightly preferable when multiple are coupled together as it allows you to walk the length of the train and find a seat, find a working toilet if the one in your half is broken, speak to the guard if needed or whatever.

Also, some posting here are probably traincrew, and of course for them the different cabs will be a factor.

But yes, they're all knackered and badly need replacing.
 

amahy

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2024
Messages
502
Location
West Dunbartonshire
150/2s are rubbish, disappointing news.
Personally, I prefer the 150/2s to the 150/1s, as the end gangways make them better when 2 units are coupled together. Also, some of the /1s have those awful, tiny back breaking seats, whereas the 150/2s all have much more comfortable seating.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,128
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Personally, I prefer the 150/2s to the 150/1s, as the end gangways make them better when 2 units are coupled together. Also, some of the /1s have those awful, tiny back breaking seats, whereas the 150/2s all have much more comfortable seating.
....but, in the case of the Northern ones, absolutely no leg room (unless you're a midget!)
 

Whisky Papa

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
744
There is a walking route provided at Knaresborough to change between units so I doubt that was the reason.
It definitely was the reason at one time, I can assure you. I spent most of 2008 compiling Short Term Plan unit diagrams for the western side of Northern, and at that time all Cl 150s were allocated to Newton Heath. The vast majority ie both 150/1 and 150/2 were in a single pool of 50+ diagrams (54 I think, wish I could locate my old copies of them!), simply marked as '150/1' and these worked on both sides of the Pennines, cycling through with no distinction as to which sub-class was which. Bear in mind they were quite often coupled to 142/1s as well as 156s and other 150s on the western side, so a corridor connection was perhaps viewed as less important then.

However, there was also a small pool at Newton Heath marked as '150/2' - I think it comprised six diagrams, but possibly eight. I rarely had any reason to touch these units, as they worked almost entirely in West Yorkshire. Amongst other services, they worked the 4-car services terminating at Knaresborough, which required a corridor connection to change ends at that time.
 

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
983
Location
Manchester
150/2s also don't have a proper cycle space, there's nowhere to put a bike without it blocking the gangway or a vestibule.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,653
Location
Greater Manchester
150/2s also don't have a proper cycle space, there's nowhere to put a bike without it blocking the gangway or a vestibule.
Do they not?
I've definitely been on 150/2s with bike spaces (at the end of the non-toilet carriage).

Or are they like the 150/1s and have many different layouts?
 

Northern150

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2026
Messages
11
Location
Stockport
Recently noticed some 156s (Manchester area i'm in) have ironing board seats now identical to those on the CAFs. Are these being installed as part of the overhauls in place of the old seats or are they just leftover from another operator that had ironing boards like Scotrail? They look brand new.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5506.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 101

dave87016

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2008
Messages
1,892
Location
Lancashire
Recently noticed some 156s (Manchester area i'm in) have ironing board seats now identical to those on the CAFs. Are these being installed as part of the overhauls in place of the old seats or are they just leftover from another operator that had ironing boards like Scotrail? They look brand new.
I don’t think so , I believe they are probably the usual Heaton based 156’s ( 421/423//429/444/475/485/491 ) which are on the Manchester side due to the Corkickle tunnel closure
 

Top