• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

158757

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2007
Messages
501
There was some confusion between 223 and 233, but this photo shows 233 https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdan14025/49932272872/ and there's a photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/185204313@N07/49970410386/ showing 223 as unrefurbished as of 3 days ago.

You're quite right that 227 is no longer is as I've found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/thesilkmoth/49964349003/, I'll update the list for that.



I think the connect spec is done at a later time now as per the digital train mods, just to get them through the works. The unrefurbished units are very tired now.

225 went to works on the 23rd May as shown here https://www.flickr.com/photos/therailwayjournal/49926892421/ , with 235 going down on the 10th https://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptontoffeeman/49879282222/


I didn't see any Allerton or Newton Heath to Wolverton moves this weekend which was the first for a while it seems.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
There was some confusion between 223 and 233, but this photo shows 233 https://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdan14025/49932272872/ and there's a photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/185204313@N07/49970410386/ showing 223 as unrefurbished as of 3 days ago.

You're quite right that 227 is no longer is as I've found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/thesilkmoth/49964349003/, I'll update the list for that.
Ta - was going on what had been reported here previously. Certainly not going to argue with the photos!
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
10/6 STP ROG Operated Wolverton - Newton Heath
Prob one of the Portabook 156s at Wolverton returning after PRM mods. I think 156 425, 461, 464 are there.
After tho I believe that just leaves Portabook 156 460 remaining to PRM mod along with Angel trains ex Scotrail 447, 449 465, 485, 496.
Any corrections?
K
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
Prob one of the Portabook 156s at Wolverton returning after PRM mods. I think 156 425, 461, 464 are there.
After tho I believe that just leaves Portabook 156 460 remaining to PRM mod along with Angel trains ex Scotrail 447, 449 465, 485, 496.
Any corrections?
K

Can't fully answer your 156 query, Kev, but it's looking good for refurbished units once things go back to normal later this year and we can travel more or less as freely as back in the dim and distant days of...February! Early-March even!
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
Can't fully answer your 156 query, Kev, but it's looking good for refurbished units once things go back to normal later this year and we can travel more or less as freely as back in the dim and distant days of...February! Early-March even!
Yes despite the virus the Crewe (2), Wolverton, Eastleigh and Bristol works seem to be spitting out refreshed units fairly regularly prob around 8 a month so well on by the year end.

Prob bit out of date but I have:-
To PRM inc those in works
9x 156, 6 x 323.
Interior refresh (various stages) inc those on works.
17x150/1, 7x150/2, 9x156, 15x158, 6x323, various 319s.
K
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,083
Yes despite the virus the Crewe (2), Wolverton, Eastleigh and Bristol works seem to be spitting out refreshed units fairly regularly prob around 8 a month so well on by the year end.

Prob bit out of date but I have:-
To PRM inc those in works
9x 156, 6 x 323.
Interior refresh (various stages) inc those on works.
17x150/1, 7x150/2, 9x156, 15x158, 6x323, various 319s.
K

Might as well crack on in the depots now
I'm sure they're large enough to comply with social distancing!
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
10/6 STP ROG Operated Wolverton - Newton Heath
Just left Wolverton for Newton heath 59min late.
Also a path Fri to Neville hill.
K
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
Just a question about the "Digital Train Modifications," specifically the new screens.
When I was on one of these trains, the PIS was functioning but the screens were only in use for advertising content; is the plan that these will display a schematic of the route, or a list of stations with ETAs as per the CAF stock?
Or has money been spent on yet more screens purely for advertising?
 

JakeMurphy

Established Member
Joined
30 Aug 2018
Messages
1,235
156425 is diverting from Crewe due to Signalling Issues between Manchester and Stockport
 

158757

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2007
Messages
501
Just a question about the "Digital Train Modifications," specifically the new screens.
When I was on one of these trains, the PIS was functioning but the screens were only in use for advertising content; is the plan that these will display a schematic of the route, or a list of stations with ETAs as per the CAF stock?
Or has money been spent on yet more screens purely for advertising?

I've only seen them doing adverts too, certainly at the moment they're not linked in to the PIS but whether this will change as more are done I'm not sure. They also do scrolling news headlines and the time along the bottom.

I have 156 425 been at Wolverton since 25apil. 464 still there I believe.
K

464 is still there but 425 has been down longer than that I think, it's certainly been gone a lot longer than most. I think it went down in either February or March. 461 and 464 are down currently but I think they only went last month.

Is 460 the last of the purple livery to go into new livery or is it already at wolverton?

460 is the last purple 156 and still out, it was on Southports on Monday.
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,871
Location
west yorkshire
Could it have been 460 moving to Wolverton 28/05?
Re previous 3 posts I'm confused as to what Northern units are a Wolverton or have just returned.
I think todays moves were most likely Wolv to NH 156 425.
Incidentally I believe 156 460 Is the last remaining Portabook 156 without PRM mods.
K
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
I see that Northern is getting 10 new 153s
Is true? and Will they be PRM Modified and refurbished?

In May 2020, it was announced 10 ex East Midlands Railway Class 153 units would transfer to Northern, replacing 8 Northern 153s

Accessibility update letters published by @transportgovuk last week show 10 stored @EastMidRailway Cl.153s will head to @northernassist, replacing 8 there
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
I see that Northern is getting 10 new 153s
Is true? and Will they be PRM Modified and refurbished?



I don’t believe that is the case: dud gen from Rail as I understand it. The dispensation letters are needed as EMR are providing a 153 to Northern for the Barton-on-Humber service. Letters have been issued for all the EMR fleet, split between the two owners.
 

Top