At the weekendDoes anyone know when 333015 is due back?
At the weekendDoes anyone know when 333015 is due back?
ThanksAt the weekend
They're using 'Ironing boards' but apparently they're more comfortable than the ones used on Thameslink trains (I don't know what either are like)This has probably been said already, so if it has, i apologise:
What seats are they using for the refurb 158s, like on 158904? They look incredibly similar to the IEP seats. Following on from that, are they all going to get the new style seats, or are some remaining as the older cushy chairs, as they're the most comfortable seats IMO with lots of padding on the bottom.
They are a lot more comfortable than the 700s; in a different league altogether in fact. I don't know quite how they've managed it, but they're as comfortable (in my opinion, at least) as any other train I've ever travelled on and easily better than anything else in the Northern fleet.They're using 'Ironing boards' but apparently they're more comfortable than the ones used on Thameslink trains (I don't know what either are like)
I take your word for it. From what I've heard, they are better than other 'Ironing Board' seats. I hope to ride a 158 (or a 331 or 195 when they come into service) to try the ironing boards out.They are a lot more comfortable than the 700s; in a different league altogether in fact. I don't know quite how they've managed it, but they're as comfortable (in my opinion, at least) as any other train I've ever travelled on and easily better than anything else in the Northern fleet.
I take your word for it. From what I've heard, they are better than other 'Ironing Board' seats. I hope to ride a 158 (or a 331 or 195 when they come into service) to try the ironing boards out.
They are a lot more comfortable than the 700s; in a different league altogether in fact. I don't know quite how they've managed it, but they're as comfortable (in my opinion, at least) as any other train I've ever travelled on and easily better than anything else in the Northern fleet.
I think there's also more legroom, though it's a while since I travelled on a 700. It also felt slightly less upright than a 700, but again I could be mistaken. Either way, I was, as you'll have gathered, very, very impressed.It's just a different base. ScotRail did that first. There isn't a fundamental problem with the "ironing board" seats other than the base being a bit hard and lacking underthigh support, really.

I'm currently on a refurbished 156 (not sure which) with the new moquette style refurbed seats. Not a fan. The flat cloth, whilst more difficult to keep clean, looks and feels much better in my view. The pattern on the moquette is blurry rather than crisp and clear, and the feel of the seats themselves is very 1980s Ford Mondeo...
Surely an easily washable flat cloth would have been available rather than taking this backward step?
View attachment 62106 View attachment 62107 View attachment 62108
I'm currently on a refurbished 156 (not sure which) with the new moquette style refurbed seats. Not a fan. The flat cloth, whilst more difficult to keep clean, looks and feels much better in my view. The pattern on the moquette is blurry rather than crisp and clear, and the feel of the seats themselves is very 1980s Ford Mondeo...
Surely an easily washable flat cloth would have been available rather than taking this backward step?
View attachment 62106 View attachment 62107 View attachment 62108
Uhhhhhh what?Surely an easily washable flat cloth would have been available rather than taking this backward step?
Looks quite nice to me, but am I alone here in thinking of all the things that should be changed during a refurb (but are not, least not so far) one of the most important is the lighting? Nothing says "old tarted-up 1980s train on a budget" more than leaving exposed, harsh fluorescent tubes in place. Crikey this is 21st century now, at least fully diffuse the lighting if you can't rip it out and replace it with uplighting!
I agree, i think it looks cheap and quite poor in my view of not have lighting diffusers fitted in on the refurbished 150/1 and Porterbrook 156s. Even Pacers have lighting diffusers from when they first started so why did the Sprinters did not?
I had 158845 yesterday from Chesterfield to Leeds with the new seats, so a good road test. Much better than the 700s, I would agree, but predictably less comfortable than the original 158 seats.They are a lot more comfortable than the 700s; in a different league altogether in fact. I don't know quite how they've managed it, but they're as comfortable (in my opinion, at least) as any other train I've ever travelled on and easily better than anything else in the Northern fleet.

Yeah, I think that's the one I've had. I disagree about the original 158 seats though. Backs too low, no head/neck support, and too soft - like sitting on a pillow, eugh.I had 158845 yesterday from Chesterfield to Leeds with the new seats, so a good road test. Much better than the 700s, I would agree, but predictably less comfortable than the original 158 seats.
View attachment 62117
This is 155345 that I rode 17/04/19 from Leeds to Knottingley.
The lighting is diffused and looks to be the same type as used on the class 142's.
I've been on a couple of Northern 150's that have these seats and some also have the LED tubes which works well with the lighter coloured seats.
I got on a Leeds to Morecombe train on the same day 150128 which had the red doors and LED tube lights. It hadn't been refurbished and it was a very dark dingy interior.
There is another car connected beyond the toilet. I agree that the lights above the door entrance and gangway are somewhat glary but I was pleased that some TLC had improved the ambience.The 155s aren't a bad job, but there appears to be a very bright light shining into the saloon from the cab end which is highly unpleasant and ruins the ambiance.
I'm not believing it until it is confirmed by Northern (or someone at Northern)Heard a rumour today that Northern are now keeping their 153s and are PRM modding them. Unknown yet what will happen with the toilet, but it is likely that it’ll be removed and semi-permanently coupled to a unit with a toilet.
And apparently the 331s are being moved to Longtown for storage as they are being delivered faster than Northern can accept them into service!
View attachment 62117
This is 155345 that I rode 17/04/19 from Leeds to Knottingley.
The lighting is diffused and looks to be the same type as used on the class 142's.
I've been on a couple of Northern 150's that have these seats and some also have the LED tubes which works well with the lighter coloured seats.
I got on a Leeds to Morecombe train on the same day 150128 which had the red doors and LED tube lights. It hadn't been refurbished and it was a very dark dingy interior.
Yup indeed, the 155s were fitted with diffused lighting from the start, but the 150s were not. Compare the overall look and feel of that 155 with a similarly refurbished 150, the 155 instantly looks a lot less old and cheap due solely to the lighting IMHO:
![]()
But the test will be in 5 years time. Compare those with diffusers, by then filled with flies and wandering wires shading tubes of blue, white and yellow with the plain tubes, probably also in mismatched colours!
It will be333015 I assume? Thanks. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97196/2019/04/27/advanced