• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Mathew S

Established Member
Joined
7 Aug 2017
Messages
2,167
Hope it isn't the same woman Northern use at many of their stations already. I can't bear the way she pronounces Todmorden, Bradford Forster Square or Keighley!

She's defiinitely Northern - it's that kind of "soft BBC generic Northern" type voice - a bit Victoria Wood-esque.

It's the same voice used in other areas as well. I heard her today at Leamington Spa.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenn1969

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2019
Messages
1,983
Location
Halifax, Yorks
Just to bring it back on topic- will the Northern refurbs actually be complete in time for the launch of Northern Connect in December or is that wishful thinking?
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
Just to bring it back on topic- will the Northern refurbs actually be complete in time for the launch of Northern Connect in December or is that wishful thinking?
PRM mods will most likely finish by December (because they have to) but I doubt Northern can actually complete the refurbs.
As for the new livery being put on all the un-refurbished units by the end of the year, the chances of that happening is very slim (i'm thinking about a 5 to 10% chance they'll be done by then).
Finally, as for the interior refurbishments (excluding PRM mods as I consider them as a separate thing), the chances of interior refurbs being completed by December are 0%.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,502
Location
Sheffield
PRM mods will most likely finish by December (because they have to) but I doubt Northern can actually complete the refurbs.
As for the new livery being put on all the un-refurbished units by the end of the year, the chances of that happening is very slim (i'm thinking about a 5 to 10% chance they'll be done by then).
Finally, as for the interior refurbishments (excluding PRM mods as I consider them as a separate thing), the chances of interior refurbs being completed by December are 0%.

So, all the brave talk at the start of the franchise of refurbished old trains indistinguishable from new isn't going to happen. We'll have half done trains that may have seat covers that are new, but look filthy, and exteriors that won't be in the new livery until we've started talking of the next franchise. But Pacers should have gone.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
With all this talk of the refurbishment schedule and its ever-decreasing correspondence with reality, I wonder what the odds are that 144012 will still be running on 2nd January 2020...
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
So, all the brave talk at the start of the franchise of refurbished old trains indistinguishable from new isn't going to happen. We'll have half done trains that may have seat covers that are new, but look filthy, and exteriors that won't be in the new livery until we've started talking of the next franchise. But Pacers should have gone.
I think interior refurbishments and the addition of the new livery will most likely be done by the end of 2020 so I doubt that the trains will be half complete actually be half complete.
 

James_D

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2015
Messages
66
Location
Sunderland
Slightly off topic, but with regards to Heaton's unit allocation, how many 156's do they now have? of which how many are ex Scotrail and how many will they be getting?

Same question with 158's, how many stationed currently and how many to come?

Have any Heaton based 142's gone off lease?

Thanks!
 

NewcastleOne

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2017
Messages
88
Slightly off topic, but with regards to Heaton's unit allocation, how many 156's do they now have? of which how many are ex Scotrail and how many will they be getting?

Same question with 158's, how many stationed currently and how many to come?

Have any Heaton based 142's gone off lease?

Thanks!
There are planned to be 16 or 18 Class 158s with 3(?) in service on East Coast And Tyne Valley Services And another 2(?) in Driver training for Durham Coast And other services
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
There are planned to be 16 or 18 Class 158s with 3(?) in service on East Coast And Tyne Valley Services And another 2(?) in Driver training for Durham Coast And other services
But wouldn't anymore 158s take the total number of units going for refurbs above 243?
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
I'm gonna bet that over half of the Pacer fleet will still be in service by the new year.
Unless anymore Pacers go for PRM mods between now and then. There's no chance that they'll be in service between now and then. I think if any Pacers are to remain in service it will be 144012 only if no other pacers go for PRM mods .
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Unless anymore Pacers go for PRM mods between now and then. There's no chance that they'll be in service between now and then. I think if any Pacers are to remain in service it will be 144012 only if no other pacers go for PRM mods .
AIUI the sole Pacer evolution is destined to be one of a kind it's safe to say.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,827
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Unless anymore Pacers go for PRM mods between now and then. There's no chance that they'll be in service between now and then. I think if any Pacers are to remain in service it will be 144012 only if no other pacers go for PRM mods .

I think a derogation, possibly with the bog locked out, is highly likely. That or actual buses.
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
Don't count the 142s/144s/153s/321s/322s they're leaving the franchise, it's the 150/1s,150/2s,155s,156s,158s and 323s also 150105/7/9 to come from WMT.

Most of the fleet has had PRM mods but not through the paintworks yet.
Have you counted the 170s, the 319s and the 333s in that list?
 

Harvey B

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2019
Messages
1,242
They've already had PRM work done to them it's says in a box thats says notes whats PRM'd and what isn't, 319373 is on short term to northern so don't count that one.
firstly, there are also two other 319s on a short term loan to Northern too and i'm not counting those 3 319s anyway, but thereare 319s that are yet to go for an interior refurb.
Secondly, I was counting units that have have not received the new livery as well as PRM mods so that's why my figure was higher and If I was counting units that have not received interior refurbishments that figure would have been higher (but I didn't since I count that as a separate thing).
If i'm honest, what you should have done is said '84 units left to go for PRM mods' rather than '84 units left' as someone could get confused (like I did) and think that your talking about units that have not received a refurbishment (my criteria is any unit that has at least received the new livery, but I guess everyone's criteria is different)
 

Top