• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Here are the seats taken from the event firm's facebook page who did the roadshow. I myself voted for A.

On the first photo A I think is the CAF standard seat that is used on the NIR DMUs. B is the ironing board. I don't recognise C, perhaps it is a new design.

On the second, A and C seem to have swapped with B remaining the "ironing board".

Very surprised to see my favourite (the high-backed winged "tombstone" as per GWR HSTs etc) not offered.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Forgive me if I've missed something buried in the thread (or indeed elsewhere), but why do a number of 170s now appear on 507021's list? I assume they are coming from Scotrail in the near/medium future?

It looks like he's added all the cascaded units which should be in the Northern fleet by December 19 - there's also Sprinters listed which haven't transferred to Northern yet.

The 16 x 170s confirmed as transferring will be from Scotrail but there is an option for additional 170s to go to Northern to fulfil the requirement for extra units required post-2019.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
One means that they've recieved the relevant PRM mods, whilst the other means it's either recieving them or in for full refurbishment or both, by the looks of it.

That's right. For example, 319450 has received PRM modifications and it is in the new base livery, but it has not yet been refreshed internally, so will be spending time out of service in the future to have an internal refresh to complete its overhaul.
 

DJH1971

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
1,751
Location
St Helens, Merseyside
319218 and 319219 have gone into storage, presumably ahead of their refurbishment before entering service. They were used as Christmas Tree units for the other 319s for a while, so that's why units arriving after the 319/2 pair are entering service before them.

Out of the "new" batch slowly starting to enter service, 319448 will be next.

Never heard of the 'Christmas Tree' term before.

What does this mean in lay-person's terms?
 

Sparks807Evo

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2010
Messages
465
I am under the impression 150001 and 150002 are remaining at GWR - hence their refurbishment. Apparently to aid flexibility for the Devon Metro. 150002 already made the move to the South West.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I am under the impression 150001 and 150002 are remaining at GWR - hence their refurbishment. Apparently to aid flexibility for the Devon Metro. 150002 already made the move to the South West.

If they do remain Northern will need something else in lieu as they are part of the 2019 train plan for Northern. I don't think they were due to transfer before the current GWR franchise ends.
 

palmersears

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2011
Messages
1,487
Had a quick trip aboard 156471 tonight, which looks the best of the bunch thus far in terms of the new livery. The inside is far more underwhelming, just a bit of a clean and some new blue padding here and there, but I believe this isn't the finished product internally?
 

Sparks807Evo

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2010
Messages
465
If they do remain Northern will need something else in lieu as they are part of the 2019 train plan for Northern. I don't think they were due to transfer before the current GWR franchise ends.

Ah right ok - I may well be mistaken then - the future fleet plans seem to be so dynamic at the moment! Have you got a link for the train plan by any chance as I haven't read it yet?
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Had a quick trip aboard 156471 tonight, which looks the best of the bunch thus far in terms of the new livery. The inside is far more underwhelming, just a bit of a clean and some new blue padding here and there, but I believe this isn't the finished product internally?

That's correct, none of units in the new livery are the finished product yet. The quartet of DMUs (150275, 156471 and 158752/756) are the closest though, but how close to the finished product they actually are, I don't know. The 319s which are in the new base livery have only had PRM mods so far, with the rather loud Northern Rail interior clashing with the much more subtle Arriva Rail North exterior. The one refreshed unit I have tried so far (158752) wasn't too bad at all, although I'm not going to make my final judgement on the refresh until we're told 'this is the finished refresh'.

I have to agree with you on the livery, the 156 definitely looks the best so far, in my view. The 150 doesn't suit it all unfortunately (the logos look too large to me), but I think the 319s will look good.

With regards to the seats for the new CAF units, as long as they aren't the ironing boards (Option B), I don't really mind whether they're Option A, Option C or "the mix of both" Option D. I voted for Option C myself, good posture and plenty of padding, so obviously I'd prefer those to be chosen but time will tell.
 

DJH1971

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2012
Messages
1,751
Location
St Helens, Merseyside
That's right. For example, 319450 has received PRM modifications and it is in the new base livery, but it has not yet been refreshed internally, so will be spending time out of service in the future to have an internal refresh to complete its overhaul.

I'm currently on 319450 into Liverpool and has notices in the train 'Just Visiting'.

Thought these additional 319's were permanent?
 

158722

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2009
Messages
831
Noted elsewhere that 156444 moved to LNWR Crewe last week, presumably the next one for refreshing? Already had the toilet Mods done.
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,178
Location
Huyton
Disagree with the thought that the 319s will look good in the new livery. White never looks good on a train. Full stop.

It's only now that I'm coming to appreciate the purple 'Northern Electrics' livery which looks very smart, the new white looks too much like GTR.
 

Malay States

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2017
Messages
56
Disagree with the thought that the 319s will look good in the new livery. White never looks good on a train. Full stop.

It's only now that I'm coming to appreciate the purple 'Northern Electrics' livery which looks very smart, the new white looks too much like GTR.

Totally agree. Close up, as a train enters a platform, white looks grubby with the smallest layer of dirt, and this is what passengers see. I too think the 319 Northern Electrics livery is as good as it gets.
 

childwallblues

Established Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
3,882
Location
Liverpool, UK
If they do remain Northern will need something else in lieu as they are part of the 2019 train plan for Northern. I don't think they were due to transfer before the current GWR franchise ends.

Yes but when the programme was set up for the transfer of these units nobody had ever heard of a 319 FLEX. They could be the answer.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Yes but when the programme was set up for the transfer of these units nobody had ever heard of a 319 FLEX. They could be the answer.

They are reportedly going to be a lot more expensive to operate than Sprinters with Northern only getting some as DfT will pay due to Network Rail not delivering overhead electrics to schedule.

They do need a 60m solution for a few routes in Yorkshire where 150s will be the only option.
 

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,870
Location
west yorkshire
Just received my modern railways mag and IW reports that northern have picked the seat least liked by passengers in the recent trial. Presumably the cheapest.
K
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Just received my modern railways mag and IW reports that northern have picked the seat least liked by passengers in the recent trial. Presumably the cheapest.
K

You couldn't make it up.

They should generate some good will by running the ten pound offer again.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,607
Just received my modern railways mag and IW reports that northern have picked the seat least liked by passengers in the recent trial. Presumably the cheapest.
K

Not the thinly padded ironing board one?
 

Top