• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments and depot allocations.

Mr Mean

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2015
Messages
61
The interior of that 150 is awful. The original seats should have been ripped out and replaced with something better. There is no way you can comfortably sit 3 people together and the fact the 2 seats are also narrow mean you get the inevitable overhang into the aisle. This reduces available standing room and prevents the guard coming through to check tickets.

I've been on the refurbed GWR sets and they are so much better than northerns unit. Surely it can't cost that much to replace the seats, especially considering the train will probably be on service well into the 2020s. If GWR and the Welsh can get new seats under similar franchise constraints, why can't northern?! To date I've yet to see anything of value arriva have brought to the franchise.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Is it? It's outdated as the service now starts from Halifax, yes, but it's a service that's run by the train shown in the photo, which comes with seats and wifi. I don't see what else is wrong with it?

I'd question the 'new' part not just because of what you mentioned but because it was created as part of splitting up a service to free up a DMU to allow Northern to loan fewer 185s from TPE to allow for the TPE 170s going to Chiltern.
 

HA25322

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
350
Location
The Moon
There is one going in the opposite direction today to replace 150275. A 5S08 is approaching Penrith. Not sure what it is though as nothing allocated.
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
445
From the looks of things I will sum up the refurbishment of 150275. cheap, poor, disappointing might aswell not have bothered sorry to be harsh For me its like upgrading from a reliant robin to a mini cooper !! when you could easily have gone for a Porsche or Ferrari

Obviously you know where to get hold a good pot of money to upgrade your reliant robin then David. Unlike hot air, which you seem to have a lot of and is free, refurbishment does not come cheap.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Refubishment is probably the wrong word as to me it means a complete put back to as new including mechanical componants too. Perhaps redecoration or refresh would be a better word.
Perpaps the 158s particularly would benifit from son mis life enhancement to the air con, engine and transmisdion with state of the art replacements.
K

Typically, in recent years, "refresh" has been used to mean "new seat covers and paintwork", while "refurbishment" has tended to mean "new seats plus paintwork, panelling and carpets". So this is a refresh.

More of said bluster?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Obviously you know where to get hold a good pot of money to upgrade your reliant robin then David. Unlike hot air, which you seem to have a lot of and is free, refurbishment does not come cheap.

The issue I certainly have with it, as others probably do, is that it is being oversold, not that that is what is being done. That is, the cheap hot air that is being issued from Northern's publicity department, like the Class 158, is the problem.

The unit has had a refresh including a deep clean, repaint (in a pig-ugly livery, but that's by the by) and new seat covers, and that is what they should be saying it has had in the publicity.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've been on the refurbed GWR sets and they are so much better than northerns unit. Surely it can't cost that much to replace the seats, especially considering the train will probably be on service well into the 2020s. If GWR and the Welsh can get new seats under similar franchise constraints, why can't northern?! To date I've yet to see anything of value arriva have brought to the franchise.

The Welsh 150s haven't had new seats, they are the Chapman ones that were fitted by Wales and West under the previous franchise in the same layout (there are some which are unrefreshed and they are in a disgusting state inside). The treatment they are getting is an interior refresh of a similar spec and price to these units (albeit a different style). Same I think with the GWR ones (and give it 5 minutes, that grey will look terrible as soon as someone lobs coffee over it).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FWIW the LM 150s look decent inside despite having only had a similar refresh. But then I don't think LM ever called it anything but that - and now there are only three of them they are probably looked after as depot pets.

123_london.JPG


In summary, the issue is Northern doing lots of blustering then failing to deliver what they said.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, that LM one really does *look* loads better than the Northern one even if practically it is identical.

Wood-effect or coloured lino and some patterns on the seat moquette would have cheered it up hugely, I reckon. But then LM has always been good at *looking good* even if their actual service is in many ways often lacking.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Yet Regional Railways were able to initiate a class 156 refurbishment programme, and Northern Spirit and First North Western were able to comprehensively refurbish their 142/156 and 150 fleets respectively within a much shorter franchise term, despite all three carrying fewer passengers per annum than Northern do today. As such I don't think that the "where's the money" argument is sufficient reason to leave the seating unchanged from what it was 15, or more, years ago, when other internal changes are being made out of necessity.

I think it is.

RRNE chose to spend that money knowing they could do so without the overt commercial pressure faced by the TOC. It is worth noting that in the "olden days" this type of work was built into the business unit long term financial plan and was almost set in stone. Your vehicle went for mechanical overhaul at points XYZ and internal overhaul at points ABC almost regardless of service use! There is no way the TOC ever do that.

Of course, the TOC could also chose to spend that money but will only do so when it suits their bottom line to do so or their hand is forced. They have taken a commercial decision not to spend in this area. I can imagine investment suggestions have been made for internal refrubs and repaints but have been knocked back on the basis that a patch up is cheaper and no one is making them spend the money.

I am not saying this is the right thing to do from a passenger point of view but understand why the TOC might make the decisions they have. I also wonder if the jam tomorrow ( or if not tomorrow this week) principle has had a bearing on such decisions. new trains have been promised for a long time on Northern.
 
Last edited:

lejog

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2015
Messages
1,323
This is a bit of a cheeky advertising campaign by Northern! :lol:

Cheeky? Having caught the Northern 180 service into Leeds a couple of times since it was extended to run from Halifax, I'd say its probably the most civilized morning commute I've ever experienced. It even arrives at one of the "VTEC" platforms next to the ticket gates at Leeds, so no long traipse from the York end of a through platform and over a packed footbridge. If only they'd extend it to Hebden Bridge for me.;)
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
FWIW the LM 150s look decent inside despite having only had a similar refresh. But then I don't think LM ever called it anything but that - and now there are only three of them they are probably looked after as depot pets.

123_london.JPG

that's my seat that is! BTW they ain't depot pets by any stretch
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
IIt is worth noting that in the "olden days" this type of work was built into the business unit long term financial plan and was almost set in stone. Your vehicle went for mechanical overhaul at points XYZ and internal overhaul at points ABC almost regardless of service use!
I can only agree with that, although as to your opening sentence BR's activities and performance were scrutinised extremely closely by the treasury on a regular basis, which did result in cuts to Regional Railway's services during the early nineties. However, as well as the regimented schedule of maintenance that BR adhered to, the joined up thinking under BR often resulted in both mechanical and internal work being undertaken at the same time as far as I recall, saving a further trip to works at an intermediate point.

One of the faults of privatisation is that rolling stock condition has become very hit and miss depending on the policy of the current or a previous operator, whereas BR probably would have embarked upon a national refurbishment programme for a given class, and at more frequent intervals, it seems, than the current crop of private operators. This is a far wider issue than the condition, and protracted delivery, of Northern's refurbished units, though.
I can imagine investment suggestions have been made for internal refrubs and repaints but have been knocked back on the basis that a patch up is cheaper and no one is making them spend the money.
I don't even need to imagine this as I am fully aware of these sorts of discussions being had and decisions being made at some TOCs. It is frustrating that improving the passenger's lot beyond the legal minimum is sometimes way down a TOC's list of priorities if it doesn't satisfactorily meet their financial projections.

The major issue here is, as Neil Williams outlines, that the new Northern franchise was trumpeted as delivering a transformational change in the standard of the rolling stock, whereas the refurbished units completed so far fall incredibly short of that.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The major issue here is, as Neil Williams outlines, that the new Northern franchise was trumpeted as delivering a transformational change in the standard of the rolling stock, whereas the refurbished units completed so far fall incredibly short of that.

Agreed. The issue is not that units are being refreshed, that's welcome (even if I would have used a different design to make the units look less basic at no more cost). The issue is the bluster which the product doesn't live up to. And as I said I know who I believe originates that culture and how harmful I think it is.
 
Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
Obviously you know where to get hold a good pot of money to upgrade your reliant robin then David. Unlike hot air, which you seem to have a lot of and is free, refurbishment does not come cheap.

Northern shouldn't have put out a press release saying they will be fully refurbished then. If there was no pot of money don't pretend there is one.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
I don't even need to imagine this as I am fully aware of these sorts of discussions being had and decisions being made at some TOCs. It is frustrating that improving the passenger's lot beyond the legal minimum is sometimes way down a TOC's list of priorities if it doesn't satisfactorily meet their financial projections.

I agree - I have been party to very similar discussions ( although not so often about furnishings) ;) - it is immensely frustrating

The major issue here is, as Neil Williams outlines, that the new Northern franchise was trumpeted as delivering a transformational change in the standard of the rolling stock, whereas the refurbished units completed so far fall incredibly short of that.

but that must relate to the new rolling stock surely
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,356
Location
Bolton
Certainly not to read the press releases, ministerial gushes and Alex Hynes' rhetoric from the time. I suppose that this teaches us a lesson about how much ministers and top-level executives are to be trusted - but some of us don't like to be ultra-cynical about everything. Most people were onboard with a genuine vision with this.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Believe 158756 is also on its way back to Neville Hill

Excellent, thanks for the update.

Hopefully we'll find out which 158 (presumably another three car) is next to be refreshed in the next day or two.
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Of course if they did put new seats in the 150's they might well be the ironing board type so might be as well sticking with the ones that they have:roll:
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Of course if they did put new seats in the 150's they might well be the ironing board type so might be as well sticking with the ones that they have:roll:

I know those seats aren't popular, but I don't see how anyone could consider them worse than the atrocious original Class 150/2 seats.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Northern shouldn't have put out a press release saying they will be fully refurbished then. If there was no pot of money don't pretend there is one.

Exactly. Passengers don't like bluster and lies.

Set a realistic expectation (a refresh) then exceed it (by making it a very good refresh, which they haven't even done - all the other recent 150 refreshes look nicer inside). That's how to do it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
but that must relate to the new rolling stock surely

I'm sure it does, but when it isn't even half the fleet it's more bluster. Abellio Greater Anglia can make that claim with their full fleet replacement. Northern can't.

I know they couldn't afford to do it for Northern - the issue I have is the claims and failure to deliver on them. Which as I said is an issue of corporate culture coming straight from the top.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I know those seats aren't popular, but I don't see how anyone could consider them worse than the atrocious original Class 150/2 seats.

And arguably ironing board seats are fairly appropriate for the type of work 150s are designed for; fairly short distance regional and commuter trains. A low density layout with 2+2 ironing boards and plenty of standing space would surely be perfect for some routes. The problems come when 150s are used on longer distance work, but the current interiors on Northern 150s is hardly suitable for that anyway.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
And arguably ironing board seats are fairly appropriate for the type of work 150s are designed for; fairly short distance regional and commuter trains. A low density layout with 2+2 ironing boards and plenty of standing space would surely be perfect for some routes. The problems come when 150s are used on longer distance work, but the current interiors on Northern 150s is hardly suitable for that anyway.

And there will be less of that when the new fleet arrives, in any case.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
'existing fleet refurbishment to an as-new condition'

I suppose you could argue that a repaint and new seat covers does deliver that *technically*, but you know how people are going to read that statement, and it involves at least new seats to bring them up to a modern standard, rather than just make them look like it's 1985 and they've just rolled out of Derby.

It's deliberately devious use of language, I'd say.
 

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,178
Location
Huyton
Having now seen a better photo of the 150 interior, I can say it's better than it looks in the photo on this thread.

Still not what it should be though. It's had a lick of paint, new Lino, new bog and a PIS system fitted.

They haven't even fitted diffused lighting, so it looks very..... stark.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,388
Location
Calder Valley
Having now seen a better photo of the 150 interior, I can say it's better than it looks in the photo on this thread.

Still not what it should be though. It's had a lick of paint, new Lino, new bog and a PIS system fitted.

They haven't even fitted diffused lighting, so it looks very..... stark.

It may be a bit cynical and also could be wrong, but I think that the money for a proper refurbishment has had to be spent on corrosion work instead, which is a known issue for the class 150 fleet. As a result northern has had to cut down on the refurbishment and just go with the bare minimum.
Sam
 

notlob.divad

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2016
Messages
1,609
If it is that big an issue then maybe they should be looking at options on more CAF DMUs. No point throwing good money at keeping 150s going for how many years more life?

I am not sure this is the problem. As others have pointed out, it would not necessarily have cost any more to change the same things but with a better design.
 

TC60054

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2016
Messages
595
Location
Doncaster
I'll be honest - the work done on 144012 looks much better than how all three of the ARN units have turned out so far.
 

Top