• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern trains trying to refund a advanced ticket or make a complaint.

Dave S 56F

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2020
Messages
236
Location
Cleckheaton west yorkshire
Hi I was planning this weekend to go to the Nene valley railway this weekend to go support and raise money for a steam loco on their railway sadly this wasent to be as the volunteer engineers advertised the 23 and 24 of May as steam loco running days and cos of volunteers at the nene valley not available to prep a steam loco the event was changed on Saturday as diesel loco hauled and I decided not to travel to wansford to the nene valley because of this reason.
And had booked advance tickets in good trust and faith 12 days early through northern rail in advance early in the week to simply save some money as I'm on low income Universal credit for sensory and mental health issues and learning disabilities and wasent to know that nene valley was to change their loco traction I was going to see wasn't going to be running due to the N.V.R. as I've stated above the reason why and they had advertised until the 21 of this week it would have been a steam hauled train weekend am I entitled at least at the right to make a complaint to northern rail as I was not willing to travel cos I'm not attending as the steam traction had been rescheduled as a diesel loco which I don't raise money for. Any how seen as though I lost a quite large amount of my benefit money actually £45 of 4 single fare advance northern train tickets could I be entitled to any compensation for a event by the nene heritage railway not been advertised correctly as to what I wanted to support? Or have I lost my money through the heritage railway nene valley changing their scheduled service I have tried to make a complaint to northern regarding this and I couldent change the day on the tickets as it would have cost me a further £40 thus me losing out on £85 of service train fare could I dispute the actions of the nene valley with a small claims court or the northern rail ombudsmen? Would anyone be able to advise me?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,664
Location
LBK
Advance tickets are non refundable. I'm afraid it's absolutely none of Northern's business that the event you planned to attend was changed and you've lost the money.

As far as the heritage railway goes, I'm pretty sure they don't guarantee traction for the reasons you've discovered. All of this is unfortunately at your own risk, and nobody owes you anything becuase you decided not to go and see the diesel running instead of the steam running.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,698
Just about every preserved railway that I know of has a disclaimer that they cannot guarantee the advertised traction. There are just so many things that can happen that means the intended loco can't run.

If your purpose was genuinely to help support and raise money for the steam loco, I don't understand why you didn't still travel there to support the railway. They would probably have made more money from people travelling on a train hauled by a diesel than if hauled by a steam loco.
 

Top